Considering the fact that the Alaska government tends to provide an excellent medical service to the population, LPN career can be an absolutely rewarding option.
Working as an LPN in Alaska, you’ll get a good income and fast promotion.
You should know that there is a growing shortage of qualified nurses in Alaska which means you can start your career easily.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the number of LPN career offers increased by 9,2% in 2015.
You should know that if you want to become an LPN in Alaska, you should enroll in the program approved by the Alaska Board of Nursing (ABN).
Despite the fact there aren’t many appropriate programs, you still have lots of career options to choose from.
The training lasts about 12-18 months and includes such subjects as Algebra, Psychology, Physiology, Pharmacology, etc.
Also, you should complete clinical practice under the supervision of a registered medical specialist.
Article Table of Contents
- 1 LPN Training Courses in Alaska
- 2 LPN Licensing Requirements in Alaska
- 3 LPN Average Salary in Alaska
- 4 LPN Job Outlook in Alaska
LPN Training Courses in Alaska
In Alaska, you can find a lot of schools and colleges that provide LPN training courses.
We’ve prepared the list of the best LPN programs in Alaska.
|Alaska Vocational Technical Center||809 2nd Avenue, Seward, AK 99664||(907) 224-3322|
|University of Alaska Anchorage, Kenai Peninsula College||156 College Road, Soldotna, AK 99669||(877) 262-0330|
|University of Alaska Southeast, Sitka||1332 Seward Avenue, Sitka, AK 99835||(800) 478-6653|
|University of Alaska Anchorage, Kodiak College||117 Benny Benson Drive, Kodiak, Alaska 99615||(800) 486-7660|
|University of Alaska Anchorage, Prince William Sound College||303 Lowe Street, Valdez, AK 99686||(907) 834-1600|
|University of Alaska Anchorage, Matanuska-Susitna College||8295 East College Dr., Palmer, AK 99645||(907) 745-9774|
|University of Alaska Anchorage, Flag College||3211 Providence Drive, Anchorage, AK 99508||(907) 786-1800|
LPN Licensing Requirements in Alaska
LPN Examination in Alaska
If you want to become an LPN in Alaska, it’s not enough to complete a training program.
Also, you need to pass the NCLEX examination successfully.
To enroll in the exam, you need to a Social Security Number (SSN) and an application signed by a notary.
Also, there are such pre-requisites as:
- A fingerprint card on an ABN card;
- A 2″X2″ recent passport-size photograph with your sign and date.
- Official transcript from your nursing college or school.
- Proof of successful completion of a nursing program.
- Submission of application fees, i.e., $275.
- Documents in a foreign language should have an English translation.
- NCLEX exam registration proof.
Keep in mind that before applying for a license, you need to register your details in Alaska Nurse Aide Registry.
You can get the application form using the link https://www.commerce.alaska.gov/web/portals/5/pub/nur4111.pdf
The application should be sent to the Board of Nursing in Alaska:
550 West 7th Avenue, Suite 1500
Anchorage, AK 99501
Contact No.- 907-269-8161
Electronic transcripts can be sent to email@example.com
LPN Endorsement Licensure in Alaska
If you get your LPN license in other state and want to start your career in Alaska, you need to get the endorsement policy of the Alaska board.
There are lots of LPNs from other states that want to start their career in Alaska.
Consider the fact that you should meet such requirements as:
- recent passport-size photograph;
- properly signed and notarized application;
- paid fees (application fee – $50, fingerprint processing fee – $60, license fee – $165, the temporary permit fee – $50);
- completed fingerprint card approved by ABN;
- complete verification of current license;
- minimum of 320 hours working experience as a nurse in the last two years;
- verification of passing the NCLEX exam.
If you complete an LPN training outside the USA and Canada, you should pass an English proficiency test.
Among the available options there are:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language, computer-based test (TOEFL-CBT);
- Test of English as a Foreign Language, a paper-based test (TOEFL-PBT);
- Test of English as a Foreign Language, Internet-based test (TOEFL-iBT);
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
Click here, to get an application form.
Your application should be sent to to the Board of Nursing.
LPN License Renewal in Alaska
Keep in mind that in Alaska you should renew your LPN license once in two years.
The renovation should be done each even year before the 30 of September.
If you didn’t renew the license, you cannot continue working.
LPN License Verification in Alaska
If you need to complete your license verification, you can get the form here.
You should pay a fee of $20 and send an application to the State Office Building.
333 Willoughby Avenue, 9th Floor
PO Box 110806, Juneau, AK 99811-0806
To pay the fee, you need to draw the check to the state of Alaska.
It takes 14 days to process the application.
If you want to get an express verification, you must add an addressed envelope to your application.
If you want to take your verification online, click the link.
LPN License Reinstatement in Alaska
You need to reinstate your license if you weren’t able to renew it on time.
To do it, you need to submit:
- signed and notarized application;
- Passport-size 2″x 2″ photograph signed, dated and made a maximum six months ago;
- Proof of licensure from jurisdictions you obtained your nursing license at;
- Fingerprint card;
- Work-experience for at least 320 hours as a nurse;
- A fee of $325 via check or money order.
Also, you need to complete one of the required competencies.
1.Complete any two of the following:
- 30 hours of unremunerated nursing activities;
- 320 hours of nursing employment;
- 30 contact hours of nursing CE (continuing education).
2. Complete the NCLEX exam within two years.
3. Complete a nursing refresher course within two years. Keep in mind that the course should be pre-approved by the board.
4. Obtain a nursing certificate or degree. Also, you can complete at least 2 required courses beyond the requisites to your license.
If you cannot provide the proof of working experience as a nurse, you should have 320-hour working experience in a similar sphere during the past 5 years.
In case, you aren’t able to do it, you should complete point 2 or 4.
Click the link to get the application form.
LPN License Duplicate in Alaska
If you need to get your license duplicate, you need to fulfill a few steps.
You should provide your name and license info (type and number).
Also, you must pay a fee of $5.
Moreover, fully signed dated info, as well as the reason for license duplication, are required.
You can get the application form, using the link.
Your completed application should be submitted to the Divison of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing.
550 West 7th Avenue, Suite 1500
Anchorage, AK 99501-3567
Personal Info Change in LPN License in Alaska
You can download the form here.
In case you need to change your address in your LPN license, you should provide your name, license type and number, new mailing address, and sign it.
No fee is required if you need to change your address.
For name changing, you need to provide your previous name, license type and number, and a new name.
The name-change fee is $5.
LPN Average Salary in Alaska
An average LPN salary in Alaska is about $37 000 per year (source: indeed.com).
It may vary depending on the LPN job title.
|LPN CMA RMA||$22,000|
|LPN Long-Term Care||$24,000|
|Renal Dialysis Nurse||$39,000|
|Long Term Care LPN||$20,000|
|Correctional Prison Facility LPN||$17,000|
|Medical Assistant Family Practice||$21,000|
|CNA Medical Surgical||$20,000|
|Nurse RN LPN||$36,000|
|Nar Nursing Assistant Hope||$18,000|
|Patient Care Technician Student||$12,000|
|LPN Primary Care||$34,000|
|Clinical Nurse LPN||$27,000|
According to recent polls, an average LPN salary is $56 010 as of 2021.
It varies depending on the city.
|Anchorage, AK||$56 126|
|Fairbanks, AK||$55 682|
|Juneau, AK||$54 898|
|Sitka, AK||$54 150|
|Ketchikan, AK||$54 150|
|Wasilla, AK||$55 378|
|Kenai, AK||$55 378|
|Kodiak, AK||$55 378|
|Bethel, AK||$55 378|
|Palmer, AK||$55 378|
|Homer, AK||$55 378|
|Unalaska, AK||$55 378|
|Utqiaġvik, AK||$55 378|
|Soldotna, AK||$55 378|
LPN Job Outlook in Alaska
To begin with, there is a bunch of medical facilities that are ready to accept LPNs from different states to practice in Alaska.
Experts claim that the number of LPN career options will increase enormously.
Also, if you want to promote, you should consider enrolling in RN training.
There are lots of schools that offer LPN and RN training in Alaska.
If you want to start your career in the medical sphere and take care of patients, LPN job can be an excellent choice for you.