If you want to be a part of a growing industry in Florida, consider becoming a security guard.
In order to start a career, you need to get licensed and attend a training course.
Read on to learn more about the requirements and job.
Article Table of Contents
- 1 Security Guard Description and Requirements
- 2 Training Required for Security Guards in Florida
- 3 How to Apply for a Security Guard Certification
- 4 Instructor Licenses in Florida
- 5 Salaries for Security Guards in Florida
- 6 Additional Info About Security Guards in Florida
Security Guard Description and Requirements
In Florida, you will have to take care of someone’s property and patrol to make sure everything is safe.
A security guard needs to perform several daily duties, such as:
- Working together with law enforcement to report any suspicious incidents
- Ensure that the laws are respected on your employer’s property
- Keep an eye on TV cameras and alarms
- Patrol a designated area
- Write reports about what you found during your checkups
- Interview witnesses in the case of criminal activity
A security guard should also have some skills, which include:
- Solid communication skills
- Ability to decide fast
- Empathy skills with the customers
- Know how to use a gun if needed
- Knowledge of public safety
- Know the laws and regulations in Florida
- Work well alone but also in a team
Training Required for Security Guards in Florida
Florida requires security guards to have a license.
The licenses are managed by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Division of Licensing.
First of all, you should join a training program.
Such a program will give you the required training to pass the licensing exams.
During the course, you will take theory classes and attend practice hours.
The theory classes include the below subjects:
- Employer policies/ orientation
- Post orders
- Officer safety
- Evacuation procedures
- Access control
- Advanced arrests, search and seizure
- Laws and regulations
- First aid and CPR
- Workplace violence
- Handling difficult people
- Crowd control
- Preserving incidence scenes
- Driver safety
- Chemical agents
- Courtroom demeanor
- Radio procedures
- Parking and traffic control
- School security guard training
- Executive protection
- Firearms training
- Firearms re-qualification
- Baton training
- Fire safety
- Air taser or stun gun
- Public relations
- Observation and documentation
- Legal aspects and liability
You can easily find a program in a school.
You can also choose an associate’s degree if you want to pursue extra education.
This degree will take around 2 years to finish and provides better career opportunities.
How to Apply for a Security Guard Certification
To apply for your security guard license in Florida, you have to:
- Be 18 years old
- Passing a drug test, which is required by most employers
- A background check which may include your driving experience
- A high-school diploma or equivalent
- EMT certification
- 16-hour course approved by the board
- Training diploma signed by your supervisor
After your course is completed, you can schedule your licensing exam.
To pass it, you have to get a 75% score or above.
The exam typically includes topics such as:
- Use of force (including verbal force)
- Emergency services/ first response
- Communication/ report writing
- Asset protection/ safety/ fire
- National Terrorism Advisory System
If you find it easier, you can register your application online.
The license cost varies and goes between $35 to $49.
If you apply for a license that allows you to carry a firearm, you have to pay a $112 fee.
If you have a history of mental illness you will have to provide paperwork that proves you are fit to work.
This can be obtained from a licensed therapist in the state.
If you have a history of addictions, you have to prove you have attended rehab programs and are fit to work.
Your application form will have to be legalized before it is accepted.
Class D Security Guard
To get this permit, you need to attend a 40 hours program which is split into 2 sections.
The course needs to be approved by the board.
Class G Firearms Permit
To get this, you have to take a course lasting for 28 hours.
You do not have to take this course if you already have experience in law enforcement.
You will also have to pass an exam in the specific firearm you plan to carry.
After your permit is issued, you have to renew it every year.
Instructor Licenses in Florida
To get this license, you need experience of 3 years in the field.
Some of the experience can be substituted by a university degree or experience in law enforcement.
Salaries for Security Guards in Florida
In this state, the salaries for security guards are generally high.
An experienced security guard will earn more compared to an entry-level position.
Some areas in Florida also provide higher salaries, including Orlando and Miami.Annual Salary Range:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
|Port St. Lucie||$38,379|
Additional Info About Security Guards in Florida
If you want to know more about the licensing process, you should check out The Security Officer Handbook.
To get more resources about the industry in Florida, visit the website of the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Division of Licensing.
Read the full guide: How to Become a Security Guard