Working as a security guard in Alabama can be rewarding for the right person.
To get a job in this field, you will need to meet some strict requirements.
So, read on this article for more tips and info on it.
Article Table of Contents
Security Guard Description and Requirements
In Alabama, a security guard protects a place or property against vandalism and criminal activity.
Once you get hired, some of your day to day job duties will include:
- Working together with law enforcement to report any suspicious incidents
- Make sure that the laws are respected on the property of the person who hired you
- Keep an eye on TV cameras and alarms
- Check a designated area
- Write reports about what you encountered during a patrol
- Talk to, and interview witnesses in the case of criminal activity
In order to get into this field, you will need to have some skills.
These include the following:
- Have good communication skills
- Ability to think fast and make fast decisions
- Ability to act empathetically towards customers
- Carry and use a fire gun if the job requires it
- Know how public safety works
- Know the laws and regulations in Alabama
- Be a team player but also able to work alone
Training Required for Security Guards in Alabama
In this state, you will first need to train before applying to your first job.
The training is done in schools which might be approved by the Alabama Peace Officers Standards and Training Commission.
Another option is enrolling in a course accredited by The National Rifle Association.
You will need to train in the following topics:
- Fire prevention
- Legal information
- Handling of crisis situations
- Detention procedures
- Crowd control
- Equipment usage
For a non-armed position, you will need 8 hours of training under the supervision of a certified guard.
For an armed position, you will need a total of 14 hours of training.
You will not need to complete this basic training if:
- You were trained with the military or the government in the past 3 years
- You are already hired by a Contract Security Company
How to Apply for a Security Guard Certification
First of all, you will need to send an application to the Board.
You will also have to provide the following paperwork:
- 2 passport-style pictures
- Driver’s license or ID
- At least 21 years old
- DD-214 or equivalent for those who served in the military
If you spent time in jail before, you have to provide extra details:
- Proof that you are not addicted to illegal substances or alcohol
- $50 license fee
- $39.75 background check fee
- Have your fingerprints taken
If you are a sex offender or committed certain criminal acts, you will not qualify for licensing.
If you meet the criteria for certification, the Board may issue a temporary license you can use before receiving your own.
If you choose to apply for an armed position, you will also have to pass an exam.
You will also have to attend training once you get hired.
Another way of getting certified for a security job position is by pursuing higher education options.
If you have a bachelor’s or associate’s degree, you can substitute it for some of the training.
How to Become a Qualifying Agent or a Certified Agent
If you want to get a license as a qualifying agent, you must first have one as either a security officer or an armed security officer.
Then, you will have to submit all the paperwork you submitted when you first got certified.
In addition to that, you also have to send a letter from the Contract Security Company that you will be working for.
In Alabama, a Contract Security Company has to employ a Qualifying Agent that has 36 months of experience in security.
This experience can be:
- A supervising position
- An administrative position
- A management position
To become a certified agent, you have to:
- Be at least 21 years old
- 2 years of experience as a security supervisor
- An instructional class that lasts for 2 weeks
Alternatively, you can show proof of a year of experience as an instructor.
To work as a certified trainer 2, you must adhere to the requirements above.
You must also have a license accredited by one of the following entities:
- Alabama Peace Officers Standards and Training Commission
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Federal Law Enforcement Training Center
- National Rifle Association
Salary Expectations for Security Guards in Alabama
Security guard jobs usually pay anything between $31,205 and $48,311 a year.
The average pay for the job is $38,102 per year.
However, how much you earn in reality depends on several factors.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
Some of these include your experience, qualifications, and area.
The more qualifications you have, the more you will be able to earn.
Keep in mind that the first step in achieving the career of your dreams is to complete a training course.