In Arkansas, more and more people choose to become a security guard.
In this state, you will need to get a license before getting hired.
The licenses are handled by the Arkansas Board of Private Investigators and Private Security Agencies.
Read on to learn which steps you have to take first.
Earn your accredited, affordable Security Guard Career Diploma online with Penn Foster!
Article Table of Contents
Security Guard Job Description and Requirements
In Arkansas, a security guard patrols a designated space to make sure it is kept safe against criminal acts.
The daily job duties for security guards include the following:
- Working together with law enforcement to report any suspicious incidents
- Ensure that the laws are respected on your employer’s property
- Keep an eye on TV cameras and alarms
- Patrol a designated area
- Write reports about what you found during your checkups
- Talk to, and interview witnesses in the case of criminal activity
To work as a security guard, you need the following skills:
- Solid communication skills
- Ability to decide fast
- Empathy skills with the customers
- Know how to use a gun if needed
- Knowledge of public safety
- Know the laws and regulations in Arkansas
- Work well alone but also in a team
Training Required for Security Guards in Arkansas
To become a security guard in Arkansas, you have to first attend a training course.
This will give you the chance to become a registered security officer.
The training classes usually include the following:
- Fire prevention
- Legal information
- Handling of crises
- Detention procedures
- Crowd control
- Equipment usage
- Weapons and safety
- Legal limitations of firearm use
- Range safety
You will have to be at least 18 years of age to apply for this license from the Arkansas Board of Private Investigators and Private Security Agencies.
Before getting licensed, you will also need to be tested on the next topics:
- The legal authority of private security officers
- Rules and regulations
- Note-taking/ report writing
You can either apply for an armed position or a non-armed one.
If you choose an armed position, the requirements are as follows:
- You are at least 21 years old
- You have a clean criminal record with no criminal acts
- You haven’t committed any acts that would have your certification taken away by the board.
How to Apply for a Security Guard Certification
To apply, you need to submit the following information to the board:
- 2 passport-style pictures
- A driver’s license or ID
- At least 21 years old
- A clean background record and criminal record
- $39.75 background check fee
- Have your fingerprints taken
- $37.75 fingerprint fee
- $40 registration fee
- $50 license fee
- Naturalization papers or work permits if you were not born as a US citizen
Make sure to legalize all the paperwork before submitting it.
If you have committed any criminal acts, you will have to provide in deep information about it
If you meet the criteria for certification, the Board may issue a temporary license you can use before receiving your own.
If you choose to apply for an armed position, you will also have to pass an exam.
You may also need to attend training once you start working.
Most of the time, the training program for security guards is offered through a trade school.
But, you can opt to get a bachelor’s or an associate’s degree instead, although it lasts longer.
How to Become a Security Agency Manager
If you want to start running a security business, you will need to adhere to some requirements.
These requirements include:
- Be at least 21 years old
- 2 years of experience as a security supervisor
- 2 years of experience working in security in law enforcement or the military
Finish a training program that is accredited by the Arkansas Board of Private Investigators and Private Security Agencies.
You must also pass an exam that covers the following topics:
- Private security officer power and authority
- Legal limits on firearm usage
- Arkansas rules and regulations
- Report writing/ taking notes from the field
- Firearm safety, range firing, and procedure
You can only get the license if you pass the exam with a 70% score.
You can also apply twice and take the exam twice.
To take the exam again, you need to pay a $50 fee.
Salary Expectations for Security Guards in Arkansas
In Arkansas, the job prognosis for security guards is quite positive.
The more experience you have, the higher your salary will be.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
|North Little Rock||$37,631|
If you decide to start your own business, you will also be able to earn more.
This is also the case for security jobs in larger cities and areas.
Keep in mind that the first thing you need to do is attend a training course and get a license.