Starting a career in the security industry can be beneficial.
If you live in North Carolina, take some time to look over the guide we have brought you.
It will give you a better idea of becoming a security guard in this state.
Article Table of Contents
Security Guard Job Description and Requirements
Security guards have to be vigilant and patrol a property to make sure no intruders break-in.
Some day to day responsibilities include:
- Working together with law enforcement to report any suspicious incidents
- Ensure that the laws are respected on your employer’s property
- Keep an eye on TV cameras and alarms
- Patrol a designated area
- Write reports about what you found during your checkups
- Interview witnesses in the case of criminal activity
A security guard should also have some skills, which include:
- Solid communication skills
- Ability to decide fast
- Empathy skills with the customers
- Know how to use a gun if needed
- Knowledge of public safety
- Know the laws and regulations in North Carolina
- Work well alone but also in a team
Required Training for Security Guards
This state requires licensing under the North Carolina Private Protection Services Board.
Future security guards need to take a training course as soon as they get employed.
These courses are generally short, but you do need to take extra training to carry a firearm.
You will get to attend theory classes as well as practice, and some of the subjects are:
- Legal Issues
- The security guard in North Carolina
- Patrol procedures
- Emergency response
- Taking notes and writing reports
Remember you will need to be trained by a certified instructor.
If you don’t want to carry a gun, you need to take 16 hours of class.
From these, the first two subjects need to total 4 hours over the first 20 days of employment.
The other subjects need to be finished not later than 30 days after employment.
How to apply for a security guard certification in North Carolina
The training you take needs to be completed in an entity approved by the board.
The requirements are:
- Be 18 years of age
- Passing a drug test, which is required by most employers
- A background check which may include your driving experience
- A high-school diploma or equivalent
- EMT certification
- Training diploma signed by your supervisor
- Registration fee $30 for unarmed guards and $45 for armed ones
- Fingerprints and $38 fingerprints fee
You will need to renew your licenses on an annual basis.
You will need to attend some extra education hours before renewing it.
Becoming an Armed Security Guard in North Carolina
If you want to carry a firearm, extra training is required.
You will also need to train in:
- Legal limitations of security guard power and firearm usage/ applicable statutes
- Handgun safety
- Handgun maintenance
- Handgun fundamentals
- Night firing
To get this permit, you have to be 21 years of age.
To comply with the requirements, you have to be trained by an instructor who is accredited by the board.
If you want to carry a shotgun, you will need 4 more hours of training.
You should also have to show you have never committed felonies and your mental health is in a good state.
After a year of having this permit, you need to renew it and the course needs to be taken again.
Background Checks in North Carolina
Your fingerprints will need to be taken to take a background check.
You will also be verified on where you lived over the past 2 years and whether your record is clean in those locations.
How to Become a Private Patrol and Qualifying Agent in North Carolina
This certification will allow you to work on your own and have your own business.
For starters, you need to have some experience as a security guard or in law enforcement.
If you have worked in law enforcement, you need experience of 3 years.
Some experience can be substituted for an associate’s degree and a bachelor’s degree as follows:
- 400 hours for an associate’s degree
- 800 hours for a bachelor’s degree
- 1,200 hours for a graduate degree
You will also need to pay an application fee of $150, and a background check fee of $38.
Salaries for Security Guards in North Carolina
North Carolina’s larger areas offer better salaries than the smaller ones.Annual Salary Range:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
You will also earn more if you have experience in the industry or run a security agency.
If your spouse also works as a security guard in another state, they can get licensed in North Carolina.
They need to have 2 years of experience in the field for this to be possible.
If you need extra info about the industry, you can reach out to the North Carolina Private Protective Services Board.
Read the full guide: How to Become a Security Guard