Working as a security guard in Hawaii has some requirements.
If you are looking to enter this industry, read the article we have brought you to learn more.
Article Table of Contents
Security Guard Description and Requirements
The security guard job will require you to patrol the property and not allow any trespassing.
There are a few job duties you will need to complete each day, such as:
- Working together with law enforcement to report any suspicious incidents
- Ensure that the laws are respected on your employer’s property
- Keep an eye on TV cameras and alarms
- Patrol a designated area
- Write reports about what you found during your checkups
- Interview witnesses in the case of criminal activity
A security guard should also have some skills, which include:
- Solid communication skills
- Ability to decide fast
- Empathy skills with the customers
- Know how to use a gun if needed
- Knowledge of public safety
- Know the laws and regulations in Florida
- Work well alone but also in a team
Training required for security guards in Hawaii
To work as a security guard in Hawaii, you will need a certification.
The licenses are issued by the Board of Private Detectives and Guards.
The best way to get the training you need is by joining a course.
The classes will teach you all you need to know to pass the tests and get licensed.
You will have to attend theory and practice hours.
In the theory part, you will take subjects such as:
- Employer policies/ orientation
- Post orders
- Officer safety
- Evacuation procedures
- Access control
- Advanced arrests, search and seizure
- Laws and regulations
- First aid and CPR
- Workplace violence
- Handling difficult people
- Crowd control
- Preserving incidence scenes
- Driver safety
- Chemical agents
- Courtroom demeanor
- Radio procedures
- Parking and traffic control
- School security guard training
- Executive protection
- Firearms training and re-qualification
- Baton training
- Fire safety
- Air taser or stun gun
- Public relations
- Observation and documentation
- Legal aspects and liability
If you are looking for increased career opportunities or specialization, consider a higher degree.
An associate’s or bachelor’s degree takes a couple of years to complete.
How to Apply for a Security Guard Certification
First of all, you need to finish your training course and apply for certification.
There are some requirements to adhere to, such as:
- Be 18 years old
- Passing a drug test, which is required by most employers
- A background check which may include your driving experience
- A high-school diploma or equivalent
- EMT certification
- An 8-hour course approved by the board
- training diploma signed by your supervisor
- 4 years of work experience
In order to pass the licensing test, you need to score at least 75%.
The test features subjects like:
- Use of force (including verbal force)
- Emergency services/ first response
- Communication/ report writing
- Asset protection/ safety/ fire
- National Terrorism Advisory System
If you want to be able to carry a firearm, you need to get a special permit.
You will also need to renew your license every year and attend extra education hours.
How to Apply for a Guard Employee Permit
To apply for this permit, you need to provide the following documents:
- High school transcript
- Copy of high school diploma or college degree
- The military DD-214 form
- Statement from the Department of Education
If you are unable to submit all the paperwork, you can replace some by submitting a notarized letter from your employer.
The letter needs to include info about your experience and work for that particular company.
If you have a mental illness, you need to detail it and send a letter from your psychiatrist.
If you have a criminal record, you will also need to provide details regarding your history and rehabilitation.
Salaries for Security Guards in Hawaii
Hawaii is a state where security guard jobs are sought after.
Based on your experience, you can earn a high income in the state’s larger area.
Those with specialization and some years of employment are more likely to earn more.
In Hawaii, you can also start your own security guard company.
This will help you be in charge of your business and have a higher salary.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
Additional info about security guards in Hawaii
If you need more info about the licensing process, you can visit Professional and Vocational Licensing.
You should make sure to stay up to date with the licensing requirements changes.
Overall, Hawaii’s security jobs are stable and provide a safe work environment.
Once you finish your training, you can look forward to your new career.