The Louisiana State Board of Private Security Examiners oversees security guards in this state.
The Board also licenses qualifying agents (principal officers).
If you want to know more about this occupation we prepared this guide for you!
Article Table of Contents
Security Guard Job Description and Requirements
Most people think that being a security agent means patrolling an area and keeping strangers out.
This job entails more duties that must be completed, such as:
- Writing reports
- Watching the monitors from the surveillance cameras
- Collaborating with law enforcement
- Ensuring the laws, as well as the client’s regulations, are followed
In Louisiana, these agents need:
- To be registered with the Board
- To pass a background check
- To be at least 18 years old
- To complete 16 hours of training
The Louisiana State Police Bureau of Identification is the body that performs the background check, unlike in some other states.
The first 8 hours of training has to be completed within 30 days of employment, and will cover:
- Statutes and rules
- Emergency procedures
- Security officer powers and limitations Duties,
- Field notes,
The remaining 8 hours have to be completed in the following 30 days.
Each training session will end with a test and you’ll have to score at least 70% to pass.
If you don’t pass the exams, you may have to undergo training again.
If you try to become a law enforcement officer, you might have to take several tests.
If you were registered as a security agent in a different state, you’re eligible for registration in Louisiana if the standards were similar.
Armed Security Officer Requirements
Not everyone can be an armed security guard.
These individuals need to receive proper training for the weapon they’ll be carrying.
Those who change their weapon will need to receive training again for the new weapon they’ll carry.
Unlike in other states, in Louisiana, individuals as young as 18 can receive training to carry a baton.
For a firearm, the agents will need to be at least 21 years old.
The training must come from an instructor with a license from the Board.
The training must be at least 8 hours long and needs to cover these topics:
- Weapon handling
- Dim light firing
- Safety and maintenance
- Stress factors
- Shoot, don’t shoot program
- Legal limitations
You’re expected to pass an exam as well.
As an armed officer, you will have to re-train every year to continue to carry your weapon.
Both a written and a marksmanship exam are expected after the retraining.
To apply for a security guard position you’ll need:
- To fill out and sign the application form
- Provide a set of fingerprints
Expect to receive help from the Board in filling out the application form.
Candidates will receive a temporary registration card.
You will have to reapply if:
- You’ll change your weapon
- Work for 2 agencies
Qualifying Agent Requirements
To become a qualifying agent you need:
- To be an American citizen
- To fill out the application form
- 3 years of experience as either a security employee or manager, or in the U.S. military or with a local, state, or federal authority
- A high school diploma or GED
- To pass a drug screening test
- To not having been declared mentally incompetent
- A clean criminal record, especially clear of convictions
- To pay the exam fee -$50
- To pass the exam
- To pay the administrative fee – $10
The passing score is 70%.
If you fail and want to retake the exam, you’ll need to pay the administrative fee again as well as the re-examination fee of $20.
The application form can be downloaded from the website of the Board.
You’ll need 2 cards for the fingerprints to undergo the background check, but these cannot be downloaded.
Along with your application and fingerprints, you’ll still need:
- 5 years of employment history
- 3 letters of recommendation from people you know for at least 5 years
- A list of any criminal convictions, if this applies, but not the minor traffic incidents
- A copy of DD-214 if you’ve been in the military
- To be covered by the company’s liability insurance policy
- To explain the situation if you suffered from addictions or received treatment for mental illness
- A 2 x 2 photo attached to the application
- To notarize the application
If you want to apply as a company you need a different application form.
Companies also need liability insurance that meets the standards found in state statute.
As a new security guard, your salary will be rather low.
If you want to earn more, you could find employment in cities like New Orleans, Metairie, or Kenner where the average salaries are higher.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
The law and the administrative code govern the credentialing process.
The Board can offer further details regarding the process of getting registered or obtaining the license.