In this article, you’ll learn more about the job of a security guard in Kentucky.
Stick around if you want to learn more about this occupation.
Article Table of Contents
Security Guard Job Description and Requirements
Most states require security guards to hold a license.
In Kentucky, this is not the case, though various jurisdictions may have different regulations.
Earn your accredited, affordable Security Guard Career Diploma online with Penn Foster!
Despite Kentucky not having state-wide rules related to this occupation, there are some requirements that are above many of the states where a license is needed.
As a security agent you’re expected to:
- Patrol the area designated to you
- Write patrol and reports
- Prevent strangers from entering the premises
- Collaborate with law enforcement when needed
- Respect the law
- Respect and follow the rules set by the employer
- Be proficient in inventorying
Security guards can be either armed or unarmed.
In this state, you cannot get hired as an unarmed security agent if you:
- Are not at least 18 years old
- Don’t have work authorization
- Aren’t a citizen or at least a permanent resident
- Don’t pass a background check
- Don’t pass a drug test
- Don’t have a high school diploma or GED
You’re also expected to be able to stand and walk for up to 8 hours.
For some positions, you’ll also be required to:
- Be able to lift between 25 and 100 lbs
- Pass a vision and hearing test
- Have certain personality traits
- Have a driver’s license
- Have previous experience or a degree
The preferred experience is in law enforcement, the military, and other related fields.
The preferred degree is in criminal justice, though some other related degrees might also be accepted.
Future agents will also undergo some training, that is generally provided by the agency.
Civil Service Security Positions
The civil service security positions are generally for governmental entities and can usually be advertised by the Kentucky Human Resources.
For entry-level jobs, there are normally no educational requirements.
The higher the position available, the stricter the requirements become.
Furthermore, if the position is under federal authority, like in the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), the standards will also be set very high.
They might include:
- Passing an English language proficiency test on computer
- Having the ability to interpret x-rays
- Passing a joint mobility exam
- Having at least 2 years of work experience
- Passing a decision-making ability interview
- Being able to work as a team
The preferred experience for a future TSA agent is in national service.
It’s not uncommon for employers to seek out candidates with third-party certifications.
This is particularly common for certain fields, and the certifications can be obtained from private organizations.
For instance, a certification for a basic officer from the International Association for Healthcare Security and Safety (IAHSS) might be needed to work in a healthcare setting.
Keep in mind that these certifications won’t replace a license.
You’ll have to attend specific training and pass an exam before becoming certified.
Louisville Armed Guard Requirements
To work as an armed security guard in Louisville, you need:
- A license
- To be at least 21 years old
- To be a citizen
- No convictions in the past 2 years
- An acceptable mental health history
Most convictions of a felony automatically disqualify you.
You’ll need documentation of fitness from a doctor or clinical psychologist if you were hospitalized for a mental disorder or substance abuse.
Candidates with a dishonorable discharge from the military are also automatically disqualified.
You’ll be expected to undergo training for the following topics:
- Orientation and note-taking
- Fire prevention
- Security officer legal basis/ limitations
- Security officer’s use of arrest, force, search and seizure
- Defensive tactics/ alternatives to firearms usage
- Crowd control
- First aid
- Report writing
- Firearms qualification
Passing an exam at the end of the training program is a must for obtaining the license.
The more time you spend working as a security guard, the more your salary will increase.
If you want to earn more from the start, you’ll need a position with more responsibilities or in a city like Covington or Florence.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
The website of the Kentucky State Police has more information available for the agents who need to carry a concealed deadly weapon (CCDW).
Training is required for these weapons as well.
The instructor needs to be approved.
Candidates who were convicted of felonies or of domestic violence will be denied.
CCDW is not mandatory for employment, but the standards for this training are higher.
Agencies will expect training that meets this level.
Law enforcement training or experience earned in the military are also well received by most employers.