Oregon offers many work opportunities, and working as a security guard can be fulfilling.
Take a look at the next article to learn more about training and licensure.
Article Table of Contents
Security Guard Job Description and Requirements
Security guards are hired to monitor their employer’s property and ensure its safety.
There are many job responsibilities you will have, which include the following:
Earn your accredited, affordable Security Guard Career Diploma online with Penn Foster!
- Working together with law enforcement to report any suspicious incidents
- Ensure that the laws are respected on your employer’s property
- Keep an eye on TV cameras and alarms
- Patrol a designated area
- Write reports about what you found during your checkups
- Interview witnesses in the case of criminal activity
A security guard should also have some skills, which include:
- Solid communication skills
- Ability to decide fast
- Empathy skills with the customers
- Know how to use a gun if needed
- Knowledge of public safety
- Know the laws and regulations in Oregon
- Work well alone but also in a team
- English language skills
Required Training for Security Guards in Oregon
In Oregon, you need to get licensed by the Private Security Program before you can work.
To get the training you need to develop your skills, you have to attend a 14-hour training program.
During training, you will attend practice hours as well as theory.
The classes feature topics such as:
- Legal Issues
- The security guard in Oregon
- Patrol procedures
- Emergency response
- Taking notes and writing reports
Those who want to carry a gun need additional training of 24 hours.
You will also have to pass a shooting test, and take the following classes:
- Legal limitations of security guard power and firearm usage/ applicable statutes
- Handgun safety
- Handgun maintenance
- Handgun fundamentals
- Night firing
You will also have to display certain character traits, such as:
- Fair treatment of other people
- Good character
- Public trust
- Respect for laws
If you apply for a gun permit, you need to be at least 21 years old and have no history of mental illness.
Applying for a Security Guard Certification in Oregon
The main requirements to get a license in Oregon are:
- Be 18 years of age
- Pass a drug test, which is required by most employers
- A background check
- This process may include your driving experience
- A high-school diploma or equivalent or a 4-year degree
- EMT certification
- The training diploma signed by your supervisor
- Paying the registration fee of $106.75 or $292.75, depending on your position
The state also requires a background check to be performed by the FBI and the Oregon State Police.
For this, you will need to provide fingerprint cards.
The fee for getting your fingerprints is $41.75 if you are a security guard.
If you work in a management position, the fee will be $42.75
If you haven’t gotten your license yet, you can work for 120 days without one.
However, you will have to ask for board permission first.
If you suffer from any mental illness or don’t have a clean background record, additional details might be required.
You will also have to sign a code of ethics, and your instructor will have to sign an affidavit.
As an unarmed security guard, you will need to renew your license every 2 years.
Armed guards should have their license renewed every year.
Before the license can be renewed, you will have to undergo extra training hours.
Becoming a Security Manager
If you want to be a manager, you need separate training totaling 8 hours.
After the course, you have to take an exam for which you need 85% to pass.
The fee for the class and the test totals $250 for executive managers.
Supervisory managers will only have to pay a $75 fee.
An executive manager has to be at least 21 years old to get this position.
Salaries for Security Guards in Oregon
In Oregon, you can expect to earn a higher wage if you already have some experience.
Big cities like Portland have more chances to have well-paid job openings.
Security guards who run their own business usually earn more compared to those who are employed.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
Additional Information about Security Guards in Oregon
If you are interested in industry updates and licensing info, you can reach out to the Oregon Department of Safety Standards.
To develop a solid career in the industry, you first need to train and get licensed.
After you get your work permit, you will easily be able to find the job you always dreamed of.