|$ Security Guard License: $50-$300||$ $ Security Guard Training Program: $100-$1,000+|
Entering a public space and noticing that a security guard is watching over everyone gives a sensation of safety to everyone.
Security guards are professionals that play a key role in society, keeping people and properties safe and ensuring laws are followed.
For security guards, who ensure the safety of the people and space they are surveillance, a security guard training will give them the tools and skills to perform to the best of their abilities and solve many complicated situations regarding their job.
What Is A Security Guard?
A security guard is the professional in charge of ensuring the safety of the property, employees, residents, and everyone in the space they are hired to guard.
Security guards have the important role of ensuring laws and norms are followed by everyone and that there are no accidents related to the safety and security of the people around.
Earn your accredited, affordable Security Guard Career Diploma online with Penn Foster!
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statics, for security guards, the median annual wage was $ 31,470 per year and $ 15.13 per hour in May 2021.
What Are The Responsibilities/Duties Of A Security Guard?
Some common duties and responsibilities of a security guard include:
- Patrol designated property to monitor and prevent intrusion, damage, hazards, and breaches of security.
- Protect property and tenants from theft, damage, trespassing, or accidents.
- Provide a visible presence that enforces safety and security.
- Identify and investigate suspicious behavior, threats, and irregular activity.
- Respond to alarms and requests for help.
- Monitor and control the entrance and departure of employees and visitors according to a prescribed protocol.
- Detect and confront unauthorized persons and violators of security procedures.
- Check property through electronic monitoring systems.
- Enforce relevant laws and regulations pertaining to all individuals on the property.
- Report rule infractions and violations.
- Monitor and prevent movement of prohibited items into and out of the property.
- Conduct exterior property checks for maintenance issues, malfunctions, or hazards.
- Contact relevant authorities to deal with unlawful or irregular activities.
- Use the radio or other communication devices in a clear and concise manner.
- Prepare written reports of daily activities, observations, and incidents.
- Inspect and test fire and security systems.
- Implement the prescribed emergency plan in case of an emergency.
What Are The Costs Of Security Guard Training Programs?
The cost of a security guard training program can vary depending on the duration of the program, the type of training (armed or not), the state you are located in, and the type of school or institution providing the training.
Security guard training programs can last from 8 hours to 40 hours; the 8 hours of training will cover the basics while the longer the program lasts, the more extensive the curriculum and training will be.
The cost for a security guard training program can go from $100 to $1,000 and more.
Armed security guards must complete additional training.
After completing the training program, you will be issued a certificate that will allow you to work as a Security Guard, but consider that in some states a special license will also be required.
Depending on the state you are located in, the requirements to achieve a security guard certification or license will vary; for example, Florida requires a Class D Security License to work as Security Guard.
This article about how to become a security guard provides a list of all states and their specific requirements to become a security guard.
A security guard license can cost from $50 to $300, depending on the state and type of license required.
Security Guard Program
The most common skills/abilities security guard training teaches include:
- The Powers to Arrest.
- Weapons of Mass Destruction.
- Public Relations.
- Observation and Documentation.
- Liability and Legal Aspects.
- Handcuffing technique.
- Crisis Intervention.
- Community Policing.
What Are The Best Schools/Institutions That Offer Security Guard Training Programs?
According to MySecurityTraining.com, the best security guard training programs include:
- Invictus Security.
- International Security Services.
- Security USA.
- Liberty Security Training.
And according to DouglasHollis.com, the best private security courses and training online are:
- Security Management: Excellence in Private Protection.
- Security Guard Training Course.
- Georgia State Basic Security Officer Course (Unarmed).
- Disaster Deployment Security Certification.
- Bodyguarding, Close or Executive Protection (CP/EP).
- Riot Operations for Security Guards.
- Práticas de Segurança para Funcionário de Condomínios.
- Curso de Porteiro Online.
- Curso Supervisor de Segurança.
- Curso de Porteiro Residencial ou Comercial.