In Maine, security guards are protected by the Special Investigations Unit of the Bureau of Maine State Police.
If you want to work in the industry, you need to meet some specific requirements.
Article Table of Contents
- 1 Security Guard Description and Requirements
- 2 Training Required for Security Guards in Maine
- 3 How to Apply for a Security Guard Certification in Maine
- 4 How to Secure a Firearm Position in Maine
- 5 How to Get Hired by a Security Company in Maine
- 6 Salaries for Security Guards in Maine
- 7 Additional Info About Security Guards in Maine
Security Guard Description and Requirements
Security guards are employed by an entity or individual to protect a property against trespassing.
Some of the many job responsibilities include:
- Working together with law enforcement to report any suspicious incidents
- Ensure that the laws are respected on your employer’s property
- Keep an eye on TV cameras and alarms
- Patrol a designated area
- Write reports about what you found during your checkups
- Interview witnesses in the case of criminal activity
A security guard should also have some skills, which include:
- Solid communication skills
- Ability to decide fast
- Empathy skills with the customers
- Knowing how to use a gun if needed
- Knowledge of public safety
- Knowing the laws and regulations in Maine
- Work well alone but also in a team
Training Required for Security Guards in Maine
In Maine, a license is needed to be able to work as a security guard.
The period of training is typically offered through a trade school.
Generally, programs for security guards are short.
However, you can also enroll in a university and get a higher degree.
A bachelor’s or associate’s degree will help you get a better-paid job in the field.
Such a degree usually takes about a couple of years to finish.
No matter what type of program you choose, you will have to attend theory classes and practice hours.
The theory classes feature the topics below:
- Employer policies/ orientation
- Post orders
- Officer safety
- Evacuation procedures
- Access control
- Advanced arrests, search and seizure
- Laws and regulations
- First aid and CPR
- Workplace violence
- Handling difficult people
- Crowd control
- Preserving incidence scenes
- Driver safety
- Chemical agents
- Courtroom demeanor
- Radio procedures
- Parking and traffic control
- School security guard training
- Executive protection
- Firearms training
- Baton training
- Fire safety
- Air taser or stun gun
- Public relations
- Observation and documentation
- Legal aspects and liability
How to Apply for a Security Guard Certification in Maine
The requirements to become a security guard in Maine are:
- Be 18 years old
- Passing a drug test, which is required by most employers
- A background check which may include your driving experience
- A high-school diploma or equivalent
- EMT certification
- The training diploma signed by your supervisor
- Paying a registration fee
You may also have to pass an exam, which includes the next subjects:
- Use of force (including verbal force)
- Emergency services/ first response
- Communication/ report writing
- Asset protection/ safety/ fire
- National Terrorism Advisory System
If you have committed felonies, you have to provide details about your record.
You will also have to be free of any addictions.
Unline in other states, Maine has more relaxed rules regarding armed positions.
These requirements include:
- High school transcript
- Copy of high school diploma or college degree
- Being at least 21 years of age
- An application fee
- A clean background record
- No addictions
You may hold a license in another state, in which case, you will have to offer additional details.
How to Secure a Firearm Position in Maine
You do not need a special permit to carry a firearm in Maine.
However, you have to take additional training.
For example, you need to be able to assess where using a gun is justified.
You may even want to talk to a lawyer who can answer any additional questions.
If you are younger than 21 years old, you will need a special permit to carry a gun.
Maine also encourages security guards to conceal their weapons, although they are legal in this state.
How to Get Hired by a Security Company in Maine
To work for a security company, you need to meet a set of strict requirements.
- High school diploma
- Passing a drug test
- A driver’s license
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- At least 24 years old
- 6 years of experience of using guns
If you opt to work in the public sector, you will need:
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- Class C driver’s license
- A year of experience as a security guard
- 2 yeard of experience in the field if you want to work as a capitol security screener
Salaries for Security Guards in Maine
In Maine, the more experience you have the higher your salary will be.
It is advisable to work in a bigger region as there are more work opportunities for security guards.Annual Salary Range:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
Additional Info About Security Guards in Maine
You can get more info about jobs and updates in the industry from the Maine State Police.
Read the full guide: How to Become a Security Guard