Maybe you want to work in security in Texas, but you first need some info.
Read on to find out more about getting licensed and getting a new job.
Article Table of Contents
- 1 Security Guard Job Description and Requirements
- 2 Required Training for Security Guards in Texas
- 3 Becoming a Commissioned Guard in Texas
- 4 Applying for a Security Guard Certification in Texas
- 5 Becoming a Security Agency Manager
- 6 Applying for a Security Agency Manager License
- 7 Salaries for Security Guards in Texas
- 8 Additional Information
Security Guard Job Description and Requirements
In Texas, a security guard is hired to patrol an area to keep it protected against intruders and trespassers.
The job responsibilities you will have daily are:
Earn your accredited, affordable Security Guard Career Diploma online with Penn Foster!
- Working together with law enforcement to report any suspicious incidents
- Ensure that the laws are respected on your employer’s property
- Keep an eye on TV cameras and alarms
- Patrol a designated area
- Write reports about what you found during your checkups
- Interview witnesses in the case of criminal activity
You’ll be a better candidate for this position if you have the following skills:
- Solid communication skills
- Ability to decide fast
- Empathy skills with the customers
- Know how to use a gun if needed
- Knowledge of public safety
- Know the laws and regulations in Texas
- Work well alone but also in a team
- English language skills
Required Training for Security Guards in Texas
In Texas, security guards are regulated by the Texas Department of Public Safety.
The security guards in this state can be commissioned or non-commissioned.
The non-commissioned guards can’t carry an arm, while the commissioned ones are allowed to carry one.
To start your career as a security guard, you will first need to train.
The training programs are usually short unless you decide to opt for a university degree.
In that case, you will have to attend a program that lasts for about 2 years.
This will also provide more career opportunities in the future.
While in training, you will need to take theory classes and also practice.
The theory classes generally include the below topics:
- Legal Issues
- The security guard in South Carolina
- Patrol procedures
- Emergency response
- Taking notes and writing reports
- State law and Board rule
- Note-taking and report writing
When the training is completed, you will also have to take and pass an exam.
To qualify for work as a security guard, you need to train for at least 4 hours.
To qualify for a license, you must not:
- Have not been arrested
- Have a severe mental illness
- Have addictions to illegal substances or alcohol
Becoming a Commissioned Guard in Texas
To get this permit, you can’t be younger than 21 years old.
You might have to provide medical records that state you don’t suffer from a severe mental illness.
To carry a gun, you have to train in the following topics:
- Legal limitations
- Handgun safety
- Handgun maintenance
- Handgun fundamentals
- Night firing
You may also need to have the following characters traits:
- Fair treatment of other people
- Good character
- Public trust
- Respect for laws
You will need to get trained by an instructor who is certified by the board.
Applying for a Security Guard Certification in Texas
To apply, you need to submit and show proof of:
- At least 18 years of age
- Pass a drug test, which is required by most employers
- A background check which may include your driving experience
- A high-school diploma
- EMT certification
- Training diploma signed by your supervisor
- Paying the registration fee of $60 for commissioned guards
- Or $38 for non-commissioned guards
You will also need to get your fingerprints taken for the background check.
The fingerprints fee totals $25.
If you are not a US resident, you need to show proof of a work visa or permit.
Becoming a Security Agency Manager
Becoming a manager will enable you to become the head of a security agency.
You will also be able to start your own security company.
The requirements for this position are:
- Being at least 18 years old
- Being an American citizen
- Having a good character
- No addictions
- Having a clean background record
- Not having a mental illness
- Having liability insurance
- 2 years of experience in a branch of the industry
Applying for a Security Agency Manager License
This position will require you to take an exam.
The exam is a multiple-choice style and open-book.
If you need to take the exam again, you need to pay a $100 extra fee.
Salaries for Security Guards in Texas
In Texas, the salaries for security guards have a higher range compared to the rest of the country.
Those who just got hired will earn less, however, you can get a higher salary the more experience you have.
Larger areas like Dallas and Austin also offer better job opportunities.Annual Salary Range:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
In this state, veterans and military spouses can get licensed based on their education and experience.
If you need more info on the job, you can reach out to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
Read the full guide: How to Become a Security Guard