If you want to be a security guard in Illinois, check out the guide below.
We will bring you some info on where you can train and how you can get licensed.
Article Table of Contents
- 1 Security Guard Description and Requirements
- 2 Training Required for Security Guards in Illinois
- 3 How to Apply for a Security Guard Certification
- 4 How to Apply for a Firearm Control Card
- 5 How to Become a Security Contractor in Illinois
- 6 How to Become a Private Security Contractor
- 7 Salaries for Security Guards in Illinois
Security Guard Description and Requirements
Security guards patrol a certain space for which they were hired and keep it safe from intruders.
The daily job duties include the following:
Earn your accredited, affordable Security Guard Career Diploma online with Penn Foster!
- Working together with law enforcement to report any suspicious incidents
- Ensure that the laws are respected on your employer’s property
- Keep an eye on TV cameras and alarms
- Patrol a designated area
- Write reports about what you found during your checkups
- Interview witnesses in the case of criminal activity
A security guard should also have some skills, which include:
- Solid communication skills
- Ability to decide fast
- Empathy skills with the customers
- Know how to use a gun if needed
- Knowledge of public safety
- Know the laws and regulations in Florida
- Work well alone but also in a team
Training Required for Security Guards in Illinois
This state requires certifications and an extra permit for armed security guards.
However, the rules ate more relaxed compared to some other states.
The first thing you should do it attend some training in a school.
In this state, you only need to finish 40 hours of training.
You can, of course, opt for a university degree that will give you more job opportunities later on.
Finishing an associate’s degree or a bachelor’s degree takes about 2 years.
During your training hours, you will learn more about the theory part of the job.
The theory classes include:
- Employer policies/ orientation
- Post orders
- Officer safety
- Evacuation procedures
- Access control
- Advanced arrests, search and seizure
- Laws and regulations
- First aid and CPR
- Workplace violence
- Handling difficult people
- Crowd control
- Preserving incidence scenes
- Driver safety
- Chemical agents
- Courtroom demeanor
- Radio procedures
- Parking and traffic control
- School security guard training
- Executive protection
- Firearms training
- Baton training
- Fire safety
- Air taser or stun gun
- Public relations
- Observation and documentation
- Legal aspects and liability
Besides theory classes, you will also be attending hours of practice.
How to Apply for a Security Guard Certification
After you finish your training, you will need to register as a security guard and get a permit.
The requirements are as follows:
- Be 18 years old
- Passing a drug test, which is required by most employers
- A background check which may include your driving experience
- A high-school diploma or equivalent
- EMT certification
- 40-hour course approved by the board
- Training diploma signed by your supervisor
- $55 registration fee
The exam includes subjects like:
- Use of force (including verbal force)
- Emergency services/ first response
- Communication/ report writing
- Asset protection/ safety/ fire
- National Terrorism Advisory System
How to Apply for a Firearm Control Card
To apply for this permit, you need to provide the following documents:
- High school transcript
- Copy of high school diploma or college degree
- At least 21 years of age
- 40-hour training course
- Pass a written test and a practical test
- $75 application
If you have a firearm license in another state, you will have to provide more details about it.
How to Become a Security Contractor in Illinois
If you want to start your own security guard company, you have to adhere to another set of requirements.
- Be at least 21 years old
- Supervisory experience in law enforcement or the military
- 3 years of experience in the industry while being a supervisor
The company you get this experience from must meet one of the next criteria:
- 100 employees
- Is a law enforcement unit
- Security fleet with 30 people registered at the minimum
- Liability insurance policy
- Not having been convicted in the past decade
- $298 application fee
If you have a higher degree in science, this will count as 2 years of experience in the field.
You will also have to pass a licensing exam that requires a score of at least 70%.
How to Become a Private Security Contractor
First of all, you need to apply through CTS.
The application materials are available on the entity’s website.
You will also have to submit school transcripts that are legalized.
There is also a certification fee of $500 that you’ll need to pay.
Salaries for Security Guards in Illinois
In this state, the more work experience you have, the more you will earn.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
Typically, entry-level positions are paid the minimum salary.
You have better chances to get a higher salary in larger cities and more populated regions of the state.