In California, the security guard career has become quite popular.
Just like in many other states, becoming a security guard in California requires training.
If you want to know more, have a look at the article below for more information.
Article Table of Contents
- 1 Security Guard Description and Requirements
- 2 Training Required for Security Guards in California
- 3 Extra Permit Requirements
- 4 How to Apply for a Security Guard Certification
- 5 Salaries for security guards in California
- 6 Additional info about security guards in California
Security Guard Description and Requirements
In California, this job entails patrolling and making sure a designated area is kept safe.
Earn your accredited, affordable Security Guard Career Diploma online with Penn Foster!
The daily job responsibilities in this field include the following:
- Working together with law enforcement to report any suspicious incidents
- Ensure that the laws are respected on your employer’s property
- Keep an eye on TV cameras and alarms
- Patrol a designated area
- Write reports about what you found during your checkups
- Interview witnesses in the case of criminal activity
To get a job in the field, you must also have the following skills:
- Solid communication skills
- Ability to decide fast
- Empathy skills with the customers
- Know how to use a gun if needed
- Knowledge of public safety
- Know the laws and regulations in California
- Work well alone but also in a team
Training Required for Security Guards in California
Before you can start looking for a job, you have to attend a training course first.
The classes usually include theory and practice in the following topics:
- Employer policies/ orientation
- Post orders
- Officer safety
- Evacuation procedures
- Access control
- Advanced arrests, search and seizure
- Laws and regulations
- First aid and CPR
- Workplace violence
- Handling difficult people
- Crowd control
- Preserving incidence scenes
- Driver safety
- Chemical agents
- Courtroom demeanor
- Radio procedures
- Parking and traffic control
- School security guard training
- Executive protection
- Firearms training
- Firearms requalification
- Baton training
- Fire safety
- Air taser or stun gun
You need to be 18 years of age to get a certification from The California Bureau of Security & Investigative Services.
Your total training time should be 40 hours.
Out of these, 8 hours of training must be completed pre-service.
16 hours should be finished as soon as you enroll.
The last 16 hours should be finished within half a year.
The first 8 hours of training should include topics such as:
- Powers to arrest
- Terrorism awareness
- Weapons of mass destruction
The following 32 hours should cover the below topics:
- Public relations
- Observation and documentation
- Legal aspects and liability
Not less than half of the required classes must be completed within a month of enrollment.
Extra Permit Requirements
If you want to carry a firearm, you need an extra permit.
You’ll also need 14 total hours of extra training.
Out of these, 8 hours must cover theory while the rest should be practice.
The theory topics cover:
- Moral and legal issues
- Weapon handling
- Emergency procedures
You will need to train in a facility that is approved by the Board.
For these permits, you will need to take a written test and a practical test.
This permit will need to be renewed after 2 years.
During each year you hold it, you will need to take extra education classes.
To be allowed to carry a baton, you also need 8 hours of training in an accredited facility.
How to Apply for a Security Guard Certification
All security guards need certification and they need to apply to obtain it.
To send in your application, you have to also submit the following paperwork:
- Background check performed by the FBI and the California Department of Justice (DOJ)
- $49 background check processing fee
- Security guard application fee of $50
- Firearm permit fee of $80
- Online processing fee of $1
How to Become a Security Agency Manager
You can also choose to get a permit to be a school security guard.
To do so, you have to finish at least 20 hours of training.
Salaries for security guards in California
In this state, security guards are generally paid well.
You will be able to earn more if you start your own security company or have some years of experience.
There are places in California where this job is paid more, which includes the San Jose and San Francisco areas.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
As an entry-level, your salary will be lower compared to more experienced security guards.
Additional info about security guards in California
Being a security guard can be a rewarding position if you have the talent for it.
You may need some additional resources to help you in your job search.
These include the California Association of Licensed Security Agencies, Guards, and Associates.
Another reliable resource for security guards is ASIS International.