If you’re searching for a new occupation, maybe that of a security guard is a good one.
This presentation will guide you through the few steps you must take to become a security guard in Tennessee, so keep on reading!
Article Table of Contents
Security Guard Job Description and Requirements
Many security guards are required to stand or walk a lot or watch security cameras.
The list of duties and requirements for this position are actually a bit longer than that.
Earn your accredited, affordable Security Guard Career Diploma online with Penn Foster!
During your shift, you’re expected to:
- Patrol the property
- Keep strangers out
- Watch the security cameras
- Ensure the alarms are functioning
- Collaborate with law enforcement when needed
- Write activity reports
- Report suspicious activity
The requirements are generally based on those for obtaining a license, as in Tennessee you’ll need one to work as a security agent.
The Tennessee Private Protective Services oversees this industry and issues licenses to:
- Armed guards
- Unarmed agents
- Security companies through a qualifying agent
Unarmed agents are expected to:
- Be at least 18
- Be allowed to legally work in the US
- Not have addictions
- Be mentally stable
- Have no criminal convictions in the recent 5 years
- Undergo training
Training may be completed through an approved provider, and the following topics must be covered for at least 1 hour each:
- Legal power and limitation of power
- General duties
- Emergency procedures
Training should end with a test and the individual must receive certification.
Those who need to carry a “less than lethal” weapon also need training from a certified instructor.
These weapons include stun guns and chemical spray, but not only.
Unarmed security guards need to renew their registration every 2 years.
Becoming an Armed Guard
For this position you’ll need to:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Enroll in a training course that is at least 8 hours long
- Complete a marksmanship training – 4 hours
The training must cover these topics:
- Legal limitations of firearms usage,
The marksmanship training ends with a target course approved by a commissioner.
You’ll need at least a conditional card to work as an armed agent.
Application Process for a Security Guard
The Department of Commerce and Insurance has the application form that you’ll need to download.
In some cases, requesting these forms by phone is also possible.
Make sure to attach the following documents as well:
- 3 passport-style photos
- Your fingerprints for the background check
- Explanations if you answered “yes” to the criminal history questions
- The application and registration fees
- The fees for the permits
The fingerprints need to be collected electronically by Identogo by MorphoTrust.
You’ll need to register either online or by phone.
The fee associated with this process is $38.
Candidates that come from out-of-state will use the FD-258 ‘hard cards’ and the same vendor.
These cards will be sent to the vendor to be scanned.
Candidates will need to keep the ORI number.
The fees are:
- Unarmed agents: $50 application fee and $20 registration
- Armed agents: $75 application fee and $30 registration
- Conditional permit fee, only for the armed guards: $15
Applications are processed in 4 to 6 weeks.
Becoming a Qualifying Manager or a Qualifying Agent
The requirements for becoming a qualifying manager are:
- A certificate of insurance
- Age of at least 21
- Having 3 credit references
- Having the required experience or passing an exam
The experience can be:
- 3 years as a supervisory, managerial, or administrative level in security
- 3 years at the supervisory level in law enforcement
- Accumulated in the armed forces
The exam will cover:
- Physical security, administration, and personnel
- Rules and regulations
- Alarms, criminal justice, and procedures (including health and fire prevention)
- Emergency procedures
PSI administers the exam, the passing score is 75%, and the associated fee is $125.
Those coming from out-of-state can also take the exam after making a special request.
The documents must be submitted along with the agency application.
Security Guard Salary Information
In some cities, the salaries of security agents are higher on average than in other cities.
Of course, other aspects will dictate how much you’ll earn as a security agent, such as the experience you accumulated.Annual Salary Range:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
The Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance oversees the Private Protective Services.
The Department has the rules published online, and the agents need to stay updated should they change.
Read the full guide: How to Become a Security Guard