Working as a security guard in New Jersey can be exciting, but what are the requirements?
If you want to find out more, read on as we have brought important info and tips.
Article Table of Contents
Security Guard Job Description and Requirements
During your work time, you will have to monitor a certain property and ensure no trespassing takes place.
The job duties include the following:
Earn your accredited, affordable Security Guard Career Diploma online with Penn Foster!
- Working together with law enforcement to report any suspicious incidents
- Ensure that the laws are respected on your employer’s property
- Keep an eye on TV cameras and alarms
- Patrol a designated area
- Write reports about what you found during your checkups
- Interview witnesses in the case of criminal activity
A security guard should also have some skills, which include:
- Solid communication skills
- Ability to decide fast
- Empathy skills with the customers
- Know how to use a gun if needed
- Knowledge of public safety
- Know the laws and regulations in New Jersey
- Work well alone but also in a team
In New Jersey, you will need a certification before you can practice as a security guard.
These are issued by the Security Officer Registration Act (SORA).
In order to develop your skills, you will have to attend a training program.
You can either join a short training program or a university.
If you choose a university program for an associate’s or bachelor’s degree, you need to study for about 2 years.
The theory hours in the training program include the next topics:
- Employer policies/ orientation
- Post orders
- Officer safety
- Evacuation procedures
- Access control
- Advanced arrests, search and seizure
- Laws and regulations
- First aid and CPR
- Public relations
- Observation and documentation
- Legal aspects and liability
- Workplace violence
- Handling difficult people
- Crowd control
- Preserving incidence scenes
- Driver safety
- Chemical agents
- Courtroom demeanor
- Radio procedures
- Parking and traffic control
- School security guard training
- Executive protection
- Fire safety
- Air taser or stun gun
The program you choose should be at least 24 hours long and taught by a certified instructor.
The training has to be completed not more than a month after you get hired.
Applying for a Security Guard Certification in New Jersey
In order to fulfill the licensing requirements, you have to:
- Be 18 years of age
- Pass a drug test as it is required by most employers
- A background check that may include:
- Your driving experience
- Having your fingerprints taken
- A high-school diploma or equivalent
- EMT certification
- Training diploma signed by your supervisor
- A registration fee of $75
You will have to renew your certification every 2 years after it is issued.
To keep it current, you have to take 16 extra hours of education.
The background check you will take will be performed by either the FBI or the State Bureau of Investigation.
Becoming an Armed Security Guard
Security guards who wish to carry a firearm need to comply with extra requirements.
You will need to have a clean background record and not suffer from a mental illness.
You will also need to train in:
- Firearm familiarization
- Safe handling
- Shooting judgment
- Issues regarding the use of deadly force
- Civil and criminal liability
You will also need to submit the following:
- 4 passport-sized photos
- Mental health records release consent form
- A fee of $20
You will have to prove you are skilled in gun handling and safety, by either taking a course or show your past experience.
If you choose to train, the class should be approved by the New Jersey Police Training Commission.
Becoming a Security Operator
In order to run your own security agency, you need to fulfill additional requirements.
For starters, you need to be at least 25 years old.
You will also have to show proof of 5 years of experience in the field.
Your experience should be as a supervisor or manager.
You will also have to submit 5 character references from people you know for 3 years or more.
Lastly, you have to also submit a $5,000 surety bond.
Salaries for security guards in New Jersey
In New Jersey, the salaries for security guards vary.
If you live in a larger area, you will earn significantly more than someone in a rural area.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
You will also get a higher salary if you have some years of experience, or if you started your own company.
When you first start, you should expect your pay to be at the minimum level for the state.
If you need more info on requirements, you can contact the New Jersey State Police.
Remember that the first step in getting hired is to finish an accredited program.