If you want to become a security guard in Rhode Island, you should first know the requirements.
This article will provide info on the licensing process and training.
Article Table of Contents
- 1 Security Guard Job Description and Requirements
- 2 Required Training for Security Guards in Rhode Island
- 3 Becoming an Armed Guard in Rhode Island
- 4 Applying for a Security Guard Certification in Rhode Island
- 5 How to get a Security Business License
- 6 How to Work in Civil Service Security in Rhode Island
- 7 Salaries for Security Guards in Rhode Island
- 8 Additional Information About Security Guards in Rhode Island
Security Guard Job Description and Requirements
Your job as a security guard entails patrolling a property for which you are hired.
The daily job duties you will need to finish include:
- Working together with law enforcement to report any suspicious incidents
- Ensure that the laws are respected on your employer’s property
- Keep an eye on TV cameras and alarms
- Patrol a designated area
- Write reports about what you found during your checkups
- Interview witnesses in the case of criminal activity
A security guard should also have some skills, which include:
- Solid communication skills
- Ability to decide fast
- Empathy skills with the customers
- Know how to use a gun if needed
- Knowledge of public safety
- Know the laws and regulations in Rhode Island
- Work well alone but also in a team
- English language skills
Required Training for Security Guards in Rhode Island
In Rhode Island, the licensing is offered through the Office of the Attorney General.
To be able to work, you first need to develop your skills.
You can choose to enroll in a short training program or a university.
If you choose the latter, you will need to study for at least 2 years to get a degree.
You can then substitute the degree for some of the required experience in the field.
Some of the classes you will take include:
- Legal Issues
- The security guard in Rhode Island
- Patrol procedures
- Emergency response
- Taking notes and writing reports
Becoming an Armed Guard in Rhode Island
To carry a gun, you need to be at least 21 years old.
You will also have to take some extra training classes on topics like:
- Legal limitations of security guard power and firearm usage/ applicable statutes
- Handgun safety
- Handgun maintenance
- Handgun fundamentals
- Night firing
Some character traits you need to have include:
- Fair treatment of other people
- Good character
- Public trust
- Respect for laws
Another requirement is submitting your records for a background check.
You also be verified for restraining orders, other criminal activity, or mental illness.
Applying for a Security Guard Certification in Rhode Island
The requirements needed to work in this state include:
- Be 18 years of age
- Pass a drug test, which is required by most employers
- A background check which may include your driving experience
- A high-school diploma or equivalent, although not always necessary.
- EMT certification
- Training diploma signed by your supervisor
- Paying the registration fee of $400
- Background check and a fee of $35
The license will expire after 2 years and you will need to renew it.
In order to renew it, you will need to take extra education classes.
For an armed security guard, the requirements are:
- 21 years of age
- Training completed by a board-approved instructor
- 2 identification forms
- Application form
You will also have to legalize all the paperwork and pay a $40 registration fee.
How to get a Security Business License
If you want to start your own business, you need to fulfill some requirements.
- Being at least 18 years old
- Be an American citizen or have a visa that allows you to work
- A good character
- Not have any addiction
- Have a clean background record
- Not have any mental illness
- Getting a liability insurance
How to Work in Civil Service Security in Rhode Island
Working in a civil service security position has flexible requirements.
If you apply for a Public Properties Officer position, you do not need to have a high-school diploma.
However, if you have any experience in law enforcement, it will be an advantage.
You will also need a statement from your doctor that you are fit for work.
If you want to become a Residence hall security officer, you will need 12 years of schooling.
You will also need a statement from a physician and a psychiatrist that you are fit to practice.
Within half a year of being employed, you will need to get a first responder certificate.
Salaries for Security Guards in Rhode Island
In this state, the salary you will earn depends on the position you have.
You will have more job opportunities if you attend university or have some years of experience to back you up.
Those who run a security agency or live in a larger city also have better chances for a profitable career.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
Regional Salary in Rhode Island
|Region||Employed||Avg. Annual Salary||Avg. Hourly Pay||Top 10% Annual Salary||Bottom 10% Annual Salary|
* Employment conditions in your area may vary.
Additional Information About Security Guards in Rhode Island
You can find out more about the licensing process if you contact the Office of the Attorney General.
Overall, being a security guard in Rhode Island is a stable career.
All you need to do is to train in order to get your first job in the security industry.