In Virginia, security guards can have successful and stable careers.
If you’re interested in this career path, all you have to do is read this guide to see if being a security agent in C is the right occupation for you.
Article Table of Contents
Security Guard Job Description and Requirements
The Department of Criminal Justice Systems (DCJS) in Virginia oversees security agents in this state and recognizes armed and unarmed agents.
High-level managers can be licensed as compliance agents in Virginia as well and all security businesses need such a professional.
Earn your accredited, affordable Security Guard Career Diploma online with Penn Foster!
Some of these agents are exempted under state code.
Such a professional is hired to monitor properties and keep intruders out.
Security guards have many daily responsibilities, like:
- Working together with law enforcement to report any suspicious incidents
- Ensure that the laws are respected on your employer’s property
- Keep an eye on TV cameras and alarms
- Patrol the employer’s property
- Write reports about what you found during your checkups
- Interview witnesses in the case of criminal activity
Becoming an Unarmed Security Guard in Virginia
An unarmed security guard should meet these requirements:
- Age of over 18
- Be allowed to work in the US
- Complete 18 hours of training
The training of the unarmed security agent must cover these topics:
- Patrol, communication, and access control
- Confrontation management
- Emergency procedures
- Use of force
- General security officer duties,
- Applicable state code,
- Signs of terrorism
The Department has a complete list of schools that offer such training.
When the course completes, expect to take a written test.
Those with law enforcement or security experience can be exempted from completing if:
- They can prove they received entry-level training
- They have at least 5 years of continuous work experience
- They submit a request supported by the correct documents
The registration of an unarmed security guard must be renewed every 2 years after completing 4 hours of continuing education.
Becoming an Armed Security Guard in Virginia
The requirements are:
- Being at least 18 years old
- Completing the 18 hours of standard training
- Completing an additional training session
The additional course work must cover:
- Arrest authority -8 hours
- Handgun training – 24 hours
- Shotgun training – 3 hours; only if you’ll have access to a shotgun for work
The Department also has a list of schools that provide training for future armed agents.
Individuals need to pass a written test and a range.
You cannot take the range test without passing the written one.
The passing scores are 70% and 75% respectively.
These security guards also need to renew their registration every 2 years, but the permit for the weapon must be renewed every year.
Security Officer Application Process
The application process involves additional requirements and preparing some documents as well.
- Undergoing a background check based on your fingerprints
- Court records for those who were previously convicted
- Reference letters
- Evidence of rehabilitation
- The notification sent the training school directly
- Proof of residence
- Paying the fee of $50
The background check for just 120 days, so you must be careful how early you complete this step.
Those who qualify for alternative training will need:
- Supporting documentation
- An additional fee of $25
Becoming a Compliance Agent
To become a compliance agent you need:
- At least 3 years of experience at the managerial or supervisory level in security, law enforcement, or a related field
- It can be replaced by 5 years of experience if you had a lower position
- Complete a training session of 6 hours
- Score at least 80% on the exam
- Submit the training enrollment application along with the additional documents
- These include fingerprints and documentation of eligibility
- Application fee of $50
The training will be paid for by the candidate and it costs $75.
The exam can be taken only twice, after which the individual needs to retrain and re-apply.
Renewal is based on the completion of in-service requirements.
A compliance agent as part of the application process for a security business.
Security Guard Salary Information
The salaries for these agents vary with their experience and actual position.
As you get more experienced, you can expect your salary to also increase.Annual Salary Range:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
To keep up to date with the changes to the laws and rules, you can reach out to the Department of Criminal Justice Systems (DCJS).
The Department can offer in-depth details about the fingerprinting process and other aspects of getting registered.
Read the full guide: How to Become a Security Guard