If you want to become a security guard in Missouri, hopefully, this guide will be of help.
We’ll talk about the steps and documents you’ll need, as well as the salary you can expect earning.
Article Table of Contents
Security Guard Job Description and Requirements
In Missouri, security guards are not regulated at the state level but are overseen by each jurisdiction.
In the cities of St. Louis, Kansas City, and Columbia, among others, require these professionals to become licensed.
Earn your accredited, affordable Security Guard Career Diploma online with Penn Foster!
In many jurisdictions, even if security guards don’t hold a license, they’ll have to answer to their employers and meet pretty high requirements.
Your duties will include the ones below, as they’re the most common:
- Keeping an eye on the monitors from the security cameras
- Patrolling the premises at set times
- Writing reports explaining what happened during your shift and rounds
- Ensuring the laws and regulations are followed on your employer’s property
- Collaborating with the police if needed
St. Louis Security Guard Requirements
In this city, there are 4 types of security professionals:
- Security officer
- Corporate security advisor
Only the watchman cannot carry a weapon, while the others need specific training to do so.
The latter 2 positions have limited police powers and the individuals need to be at least 21 years old to get hired on those positions.
Watchmen can be as young as 18 as their responsibilities are limited to watching and reporting.
Regardless of the position, you’ll need to:
- Be a citizen or legal resident
- Have a clean criminal record
- Have no addictions
The license is received once there’s an intent of hire.
Columbia Security Guard Requirements
The licenses are needed in this city by those who are security guards working for guard or watchman companies.
These agents can be license as either armed or unarmed.
The requirements are similar to those in other jurisdictions:
- 18 years old to be an unarmed agent
- 21 years old to be an armed agent
- Have a clean criminal record
To be allowed to carry a firearm, you’ll need to complete a training course and pass a test.
The test will have 2 parts:
- Skills and safety
Kansas City Security Guard Requirements
In Kansas City, you can get one of these 2 licenses:
- Class A – issued for loss prevention agents, airport police, and others
- Class B – issued for guards, armed couriers, and others
Both of them allow you to carry a firearm if you meet the requirements for the firearm.
The requirements for either license are generally similar, and they include:
- Passing a written test
- Undergoing a background check
- Knowledge of liability issues, rules, and crisis response
- Knowing how to interact with the public
It’s important to note that Class A has the power to detain suspects among a few other powers.
For this, the requirements are higher:
- Knowledge of patrol techniques and crime
- Being physically and mentally capable of apprehending and detaining
The former is included in the test while the employer needs to vouch for the latter.
If you want to be allowed to carry a weapon you’ll need:
- To complete a firearms training course
- To pass a range test
- Re-qualify yearly
- Meet fitness requirements as follows:
- A clean criminal record
- Having no dishonorable discharge from the armed forces
- Not have an order of protection in place
Public Sector Security Positions
The Missouri Division of Personnel oversees the civil service positions, that have more levels, including:
- Security Guard
- Security Officer I, II, and III
A security guard can become a security officer with enough accumulated experience.
To become a security officer, you may also accumulate the following:
- Having some law enforcement or other security experience
- Having a high school diploma or GED
- Further education:
- Security Officer I – at least 6 units in criminal justice, with a total of 30 units
- Security Officer II – at least 9 units in criminal justice, with a total of 60 units
Remember that you’ll need a separate permit or license to carry a weapon.
Security Guard Salary Information
At the beginning of your employment, you’ll earn a rather low paycheck, but it will increase the more experience you gain.
In cities like St. Louis, Kansas City, Independence, Lee’s Summit, and St. Charles, on average the salaries of security guards are higher than the median salary at the state level.Annual Salary Range:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
For some positions, the employers may request you:
- To be able to lift items as heavy as 25lbs
- To have military experience
- To have customer service experience
Read the full guide: How to Become a Security Guard