In Colorado, security guard positions require skills and experience.
You will also have to attend a training program to develop your skills.
If you feel this is the right career path for you, read on to learn more.
Article Table of Contents
Security Guard Description and Requirements
In Colorado, as a security guard, you will have to ensure your employer’s property is kept safe at all times.
The daily job duties for security offices include:
- Working together with law enforcement to report any suspicious incidents
- Ensure that the laws are respected on your employer’s property
- Keep an eye on TV cameras and alarms
- Patrol a designated area
- Write reports about what you found during your checkups
- Interview witnesses in the case of criminal activity
A security guard should also have some skills that include:
- Solid communication skills
- Ability to decide fast
- Empathy skills with the customers
- Know how to use a gun if needed
- Knowledge of public safety
- Know the laws and regulations in Colorado
- Work well alone but also in a team
Training Required for Security Guards in Colorado
If you want to become a security guard, you should first attend a training course.
The classes usually include theory and practice in the following topics:
- Employer policies/ orientation
- Post orders
- Officer safety
- Evacuation procedures
- Access control
- Advanced arrests, search and seizure
- Laws and regulations
- First aid and CPR
- Workplace violence
- Handling difficult people
- Crowd control
- Preserving incidence scenes
- Driver safety
- Chemical agents
- Courtroom demeanor
- Radio procedures
- Parking and traffic control
- School security guard training
- Executive protection
- Firearms training
- Firearms requalification
- Baton training
- Fire safety
- Air taser or stun gun
- Public relations
- Observation and documentation
- Legal aspects and liability
How to apply for a security guard certification
In Colorado, you do not need a license to be a security guard.
However, many areas in this state have specific local laws and a license could be needed there.
There are a few requirements you need to meet, which include:
- An age of at least 18
- Passing a drug test, which is required by most employers
- A background check which may include your driving experience
- A high-school diploma or equivalent
- Police or military work is a plus
- A higher education degree in some areas
- EMT certification is also a plus
If you are considering pursuing higher education, you can simply enroll in a university near you.
The bachelors’ and associate’s degree programs usually last for about 2 years.
In Colorado, some security guards can work unarmed.
In such a case, they need to alert authorities of anything that goes wrong.
If you choose to take an armed job, you will need to be at least 21 years of age.
Security Guard License
As mentioned, there are some areas in Colorado that do require licensing.
Some of these include Colorado Springs and Denver.
To get a license there, you need to submit your fingerprints and send in an application.
You will also need to pass a physical exam, submit a letter of hire, and references.
If you want to get a job in the public sector, there are some requirements
These are as follows:
- 60 hours of training in a university course
- 2 years of experience in the law enforcement field
- Have a current driver’s license
If you have a job as security, you do not need to have completed higher education.
You will probably find it easy to get a job in the field if you have some experience.
If you need more info about jobs in the public sector, you can check out the Colorado Division of Human Resources.
Salaries for Security Guards in Colorado
Colorado offers good salaries for security guards.
This is especially the case for those who have some experience.
Areas like Colorado Springs or Denver generally provide higher salaries compared to the rest of the state.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
You can also consider running a security guard business if you want to earn more.
Entry-level positions only earn the minimum salary.
Additional Info About Security Guards in Colorado
The easiest way to start the career you always dreamed of is to attend a training program.
Such a program will help you develop your skills, which in return will be the key to success.
Generally, security guards who finished a program don’t have problems finding a job fast.
If you need more industry resources, you can contact one of the local chapters of ASIS International.
You should also keep up to date with the licensing process.
This can be done by reaching out to the Colorado Office of Economic Development and International Trade.