Plumbers are needed just about everywhere.
Without plumbers, you wouldn’t have bathrooms with toilets, sinks, bathtubs, or running water.
Just about every building has some sort of plumbing system that a plumber is responsible for installing and maintaining.
Plumbers usually receive training as an apprentice under the supervision of an expert in the field or through a school or program that offers training in the trade.
If you live in Tucson, Arizona, read on to find plumbing schools and programs in Tucson, AZ.
Pima Community College
About the School
Pima Community College has a total of five campuses and many centers throughout the Tucson area.
The five campuses include Desert Vista, Downtown, East, Northwest, and West.
Pima Community College celebrates and encourages the diversity of its students, staff, faculty, and administrators.
It strives to provide a safe, supportive community for everyone who wishes to enroll at Pima Community College.
Pima Community College offers many courses and programs in many different areas, including accounting, fashion design, fitness and wellness, nursing, plumbing, and much more.
Pima Community College offers a plumber’s certificate program.
The learning outcome of this program is for students to demonstrate an understanding of standards and practices in the industry and interpret schematics and blueprints.
The plumbing program has a total of 32-33 credits and consists of the following courses:
- GTM105 Applied Technical Mathematics
- MAT106 Elementary Data Analysis with Spreadsheets (or higher)
- CTE Communication
- GTW101 Writing for Trades and Technical Occupations
- BCT105 Professionalism in Service, Construction Math, Basic Rigging
- BCT107 Basic Safety, Hand & Power Tools, Blueprint Reading
- BCT106Soldering and Brazing for BCT
- BCT120 Blueprint Reading for Construction
- BCT181 Residential and Industrial Plumbing I
- CSA100 Computer Literacy
- BCT182 Residential and Industrial Plumbing II
- BCT183 Residential and Industrial Plumbing III
Address: 4905 E. Broadway Blvd, Tucson, AZ, 85709
Arizona Western College
About the School
Arizona Western College offers over 170 degrees and certificate programs in various fields and degree types.
It has 12 locations, serving an area of 10,000 square miles.
Arizona Western College believes in creating communities that thrive through education and partnerships.
Arizona Western College doesn’t have a specific plumbing program, but they do have a carpentry and construction trades program.
This program includes plumbing as well as a wide variety of other construction-related training.
Students in this program learn the following skills and experience:
- Construction standards, theory, equipment, and techniques
- How to use plans and specifications to determine quantities in preparation for contract bids
- How to use and care for foundations and framing tools
- Interior and exterior wall systems
- footing, columns, stem wall, and deck form systems
- How to interpret blueprints
- How to determine costs and quantities for various components of construction
There are five degree and certificate options for the carpentry and construction trades program.
The options include Construction Trades Management AAS Occupational Degree, Carpentry AAS Occupational Degree, Carpentry Occupational Certificate, and Construction Industrial Safety Occupational Certificate.
Address: 2020 S Ave 8 E, Yuma, AZ, 85365
Maricopa Community Colleges
About the School
Maricopa Community College has ten college locations, making it one of the largest community college systems in the United States.
Maricopa Community College offers over 600 certificate and degree programs online or on their campuses.
Maricopa Community Colleges locations include the following:
- Chandler-Gilbert Community College
- Estrella Mountain Community College
- GateWay Community College
- Glendale Community College
- Mesa Community College
- Paradise Valley Community College
- Phoenix College
- Rio Salado College
- Scottsdale Community College
- South Mountain Community College
The plumbing program for Maricopa Community Colleges is called Construction Trades:
This program is a certificate program and it is designed to teach students about:
- Construction drawings
- Pipes and fittings
- Drain, waste, and vent systems
- Water distribution systems
Construction Trades is 16 credits.
The courses included in this program include:
- Foundation of Construction Safety
- Hand and Power Tools, Equipment, and Workspace
- Construction Calculations
- Construction Drawings Introduction
- Plumbing: Pipes and Fittings
- Plumbing: Fixtures
- Plumbing: Drain, Waste, and Vent
- Plumbing: Water Distribution Systems
Address: 2411 W. 14th St, Tempe, AZ, 85281
East Valley Institute of Technology
About the School
East Valley Institute of Technology offers a variety of adult career training courses and programs.
The programs that are offered include:
- Collision Repair
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Massage Therapy
- Nursing Assistant
- Practical Nursing
- Sterile Processing Technician
- Surgical Technologist
Along with the adult training programs, East Valley Institute of Technology offers a large variety of courses and programs for high school students.
A few of those programs include aesthetics, barbering, construction technologies, early childhood education, fashion and design, massage therapy, mental and social health, and much more.
East Valley Institute’s plumbing program is designed to train students to become qualified in plumbing service, repair, and installation.
Some of the areas that are taught in the plumbing program include construction trade safety, plumbing theory, residential water quality, hands-on assessments, sales and marketing strategies, green technologies, problem-solving, professionalism, job readiness strategies, communication skills, and customer service.
After graduating from the program, students are offered certifications by the National Center for Construction Education and Research.
Address: 1601 W Main Street, Mesa, AZ, 85210
Gateway Community College
About the School
Gateway Community College is one of the many colleges included in the Maricopa college system.
The core values of Gateway Community College are character, care, connection, contribution, and career.
The school prioritizes student success, learning excellence, innovation, and a good workplace environment.
Gateway offers certificate and degree programs in a variety of areas, including behavioral science and human services, business, computer and informational technology, education, health science, and visual and performing arts.
Gateway Community College doesn’t have a specific plumbing program, but it does have a construction trades program that includes plumbing, along with other construction-related trades.
The fast-track certificate can be completed in about two semesters, otherwise, the program takes as long as two years.
Address: 108 North 40th Street, Phoenix, AZ, 85034
Read the full guide: How to Become a Plumber