If you want to work as a plumber in the New York state, you will first need some info.
This state requires plumbers to be certified, so take a look below at what you need to do.
Article Table of Contents
Plumber Job Description and Requirements
In New York, some of the most common job duties for plumbers include:
- Reading or drafting blueprints
- Installing the piping system
- Maintaining the water system
- Repairing the system whenever needed
- Ensuring the safety standards
- Meeting building regulations
- Using the appropriate devices to measure or solder
There are 3 plumbing licenses you can get in the New York state:
- Apprentice plumber
- Journeyman plumber
- Contractor plumber
How to Become an Apprentice in New York
First of all, you will need to enroll in a training school or university.
You can get training as an apprentice plumber or choose to pursue a higher degree.
If you take the trade school approach, your program will last 4 to 5 years.
It will include classes of theory but also hands-on practice.
Some of the topics in the program will include:
- Sprinkler installation,
- Reading blueprints
If already have a job, you can choose to attend a program online instead of in-person.
When you enroll in a program, you will be called an apprentice.
You will also need to register your apprenticeship in order for it to be valid.
To be eligible for an apprenticeship program, you have to:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a high-school diploma or GED
- Have a driver’s license
- Birth certificate copy
- Proof of being a citizen of the US
- A processing fee
- Pass a drug test
- Be a good driver
- Have a good understanding of English
- Be in good moral standing
As an apprentice, you will be allowed to work on water systems under supervision.
You will also be paid for your work, however less than a licensed plumber.
Keep in mind that you will also need to register your apprenticeship and renew it each year.
How to Get a Journeyman License in New York
In order to have the freedom to work on any plumbing project you want, you need a journeyman license.
Before you can get this license, you have to submit some paperwork.
Unline in other states, New York does not require a certification exam.
To be eligible for the journeyman license, you have to:
- Be 18 years old
- Send in an application form and pay a $50 fee
- Comply with the required training
- Social security number
- Proof of experience
- Training program certificate
- Social Security History of Earnings
- Child Support Form if it applies
- Photo ID
- DPL1 Form
- Notarized affidavits from all your current and past employers
How to Get a Contractor Plumber License in New York
To become a master plumber and get the New York license, you need to pay the $200 fee for the license.
You’ll also need to meet one of the following requirements:
- 7 years of work experience in total
- 2 years a journeyman plumber
- Have a bachelor’s degree in engineering technology that is approved by the New York State Department of Education
- 5 years of total experience in the last 7 years
- Have plumbing experience working for a government agency
- 7 years of experience with the last 10 years
- Be a registered architect or professional engineer with a year of experience in the state
You will also need to pass an exam, for which you need to submit the following documents:
- LIC2 application;
- Examination score report form;
- LIC34 application, if it applies
- LIC51 application form;
- LIC62 physical exam form
- Notarized supplemental investigation questionnaire;
- Notarized background investigation questionnaire;
- Experience verification forms;
- Certified social security history of earnings;
- Photo ID
- Original social security card;
- Original birth certificate
- Proof of residence
- Latest pay stub or W-2;
- 2 passport size pictures
- Child support certification form – if it applies
- $500 for the background investigation
The topics in the exam include:
- Plumbing fundamentals and safety;
- Materials with uses and specifications;
- Traps, interceptors, and backwater valves;
- Plumbing fixtures, fixture fittings, and plumbing appliances;
- Water supply systems;
- Backflow prevention;
- Drain, waste, and vent systems;
- Special topics;
- Gas appliances and piping;
- Plumbing mathematics.
The exam will have a theory part and a practice part.
You will also have to pay some fee to get into the exam:
- $525 fee for the theory exam
- $350 fee for the practice exam
You will need a score of 70% at the minimum in order to pass the exam.
After you take it, it will last about a month until your license is issued.
Plumber Employment and Salary Information
In New York, the salary depends on your level of experience and area.
You will earn more in larger areas like New York City.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
The state of New York does not provide any reciprocation agreements with another state.
You will need to revisit the licensing process if you come from another region of the US.
Schools Offering Plumbing Programs in New York
|Berks Trade and Business School||33-09 Queens Blvd, Queens, NY 11101|
|SUNY Delhi||454 Delhi Drive Delhi, NY 13753|
|Apex Technical School||24-02 Queens Plaza South, Long Island City, New York 11101|
|Troise||10 Latham Pl, Staten Island, NY 10309|
|Master Plumbers Council of the City of New York||240-21 Braddock Ave, Queens, NY 11426|
|UA Local 200 Plumbers Training Center||375 Central Ave, Bohemia, NY 11716|
|LaGuardia Community College||31-10 Thomson Avenue Long Island City, NY 11101|
|Alfred State College of Technology||10 Upper College Dr, Alfred, NY 14802|
|SUNY Canton||34 Cornell Drive Canton, NY 13617|
|Erie Community College||121 Ellicott Street Buffalo, NY 14203|
|New York City College of Technology||300 Jay Street, Howard Building, 4th floor Brooklyn, NY 11201|
|NYU School of Professional Studies||7 East 12th Street, Suite 921, NY, NY 10003|
|BOCES||1196 Prospect Avenue Westbury, NY 11590|
|The New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision||1220 Washington Ave #9, Albany, NY 12226|