In case you are thinking of becoming a welder in Utah, you should know that there are lots of welding training programs in the state.
You can find the list of the best welding schools in Utah in this article.
Moreover, there is a bunch of useful facts and tips that help you to understand better this career.
Article Table of Contents
- 1 How to Become a Welder in Utah
- 2 Top 16 Welding Certification Schools in Utah
- 3 Popular Degree Programs
- 4 Reasons for Becoming a Welder in Utah
- 5 Welding Safety Tips
- 6 Conclusion
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions
How to Become a Welder in Utah
In case, you are thinking about becoming a welder in Utah, you need to learn some important aspects.
There are some crucial steps you need to take to achieve your goal:
- Learn some basics about the welding process. In order to understand the job better, watch some videos and read articles about welding. Also, if you have some friends and relatives working in the sphere, it will be a good idea to ask some questions.
- Reveal and evaluate your personal strengths. To work as a welder, you need to be strong and healthy. Also, there are some personal characteristics that are absolutely important. You should have excellent spatial orientation skills and manual dexterity. Moreover, you should be able to work independently and even have some artistic skills. If you don’t have at least most part of these features than welding can be not the best career for you. Nevertheless, if you have a determination then it can be not an issue.
- Choose the best training program. As soon as you’ve made a decision to become a welder, you need to look for the best program that suits your preferences. In this article, you can get info about the best welding certification schools in the state.
- Get your certification. To become a welder, you need not only to complete your training but as well pass the test in order to get your certification. Consider the fact that it should be taken at an accredited welding testing facility.
- Maintain your certification. After getting your certification, you should maintain it constantly. In order to do it, you need to fill out certain paperwork twice a year.
- Look for better career options as soon as you get enough experience. To make it easier, you need to get a higher degree which means that you should continue your education. For example, you can become a Senior Certified Welding Inspector.
How Much Time It Is Necessary to Complete Welding Training in Utah?
It’s clear that any student wants to know how much time they need to train before starting their career.
In fact, there is no certain answer to the question as the duration varies depending on program specifications.
Nevertheless, you should know that your welding training won’t take more than 2 years.
Top 16 Welding Certification Schools in Utah
In this section, there is a list of the best welding certification schools in Utah.
In this table, you can find not only the names of facilities but their contact info as well.
|School||Location||Contact Information||Phone Number|
|Clearfield High School||931 South 1000 East, Clearfield, UT 84015 United States||Bruce Decker||(801) 402-8242|
|Clearfield Job Corps Center||20 West 1700 South, Clearfield, UT 84016 United States||Nick Price||(801) 774-4000|
|Davis Applied Technology College||550 East 300 South, Kaysville, UT 84037 United States||Nick Price||(801) 546-2441|
|Dixie Technical College||610 S. Tech Ridge Drive St. George, UT 84770 United States||Jordan Rushton||(435) 674-8400|
|Jordan Academy For Technology And Careers - South||12723 South Park Ave Riverton, UT 84065 United States||Nicole Johnson||(801) 412-1300|
|Maple Mountain High School||51 N. 2550 E., Spanish Fork, UT 84660 United States||Jared Massic||(801) 794-6740|
|Mountain View High School||665 W Center St, Orem, UT 84057 United States||Gordon Reynolds||(801) 227-8764|
|Mountainland Applied Technology College||1410 West Business Park Drive (1250 So), Orem, UT 84058 United States||Gordon Reynolds||(801) 753-4213|
|Ogden-Weber Applied Technology Center||559 E Atc Lane, Ogden, UT 84404 United States||Collette Mercer||(801) 627-8300|
|Payson High School||1050 S Main St, Payson, UT 84651 United States||Nyle Russell||(801) 465-6025|
|Salt Lake Community College||4600 South Redwood Road, Salt Lake City, UT 84123 United States||Steve Ford||(801) 957-5088|
|Southwest Applied Technology College||510 West 800 South, Cedar City, UT 84720 United States||Jim Riley||(435) 586-2899|
|Spanish Fork High School||99 N 300 W, Spanish Fork, UT 84660 United States||Shaun Black||(801) 798-4060|
|Uintah Basin Applied Technology College||450 North 2000 West, Vernal, UT 84028 United States||Jeff Tanigichi||(435) 722-4523|
|Wasatch High School||930 South 500 East, Heber City, UT 84032 United States||Malcom Rose||(435) 654-0640|
|Weber Basin Job Corps||7400 South Cornia Drive, Ogden, UT 84405 United States||(801) 774-4000|
Keep in mind that the information in the table may change so we recommend you to doublecheck it.
Welding Accreditation in Utah
You should know that each school from the list:
- was approved by the American Welding Society’s SENSE Accreditation Program.
- provides such essential classes as Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (TIG), Shielded Metal Arc Welding (stick), or Gas Metal Arc Welding (MIG).
Popular Degree Programs
Reasons for Becoming a Welder in Utah
Welding has an incredible outlook all over the USA and Utah is no exception.
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of jobs for welders will grow by 6% until 2026.
Average Welder’s Salary in Utah
Working as a welder in Utah you can earn a good salary.
A median salary of a welder throughout the country is about $39 390 a year or $18.94 an hour.
At the same time, welders in Utah earn a median salary of $44 760 per year or $21.52 per hour.
Speaking of the top 10% of welders, in Utah they earn about $72 580 while throughout the country – $62 100 annually.
Similar Career Options In Utah
If you don’t feel like becoming a welder but still, looking for some similar careers, there are some options for you.
These options may as well interest you:
- Plumber, Pipefitter, and Steamfitter;
- Solderers and brazers;
- Sheet Metal Worker.
Welding Safety Tips
Welding is a dangerous job and there are lots of safety rules that welders should follow.
There are some of them:
- Read all the instructions properly. There are a number of important warnings in equipment manuals and reading them, you can guarantee your safety and prevent a number of accidents.
- Buy high-quality welding gear. It’s important to use the best auto-darkening welding helmet, gloves, glasses, jacket, and shoes. Also, don’t forget to protect your skin from heat properly.
- Be mindful of the environment. It means that you should keep the area clean, tidy, and well-ventilated.
As you see, welding is a challenging but at the same time absolutely rewarding career.
Moreover, you don’t need something extraordinary to become a welder.
Just take your time to learn about available programs and choose the one you like.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does a laser welder work?
Laser welders, which use a laser beam to form welds, are quite adaptable machines.
They can weld thin materials at high welding speeds.
In thicker materials, they can create deep, narrow welds between square-edged parts.
The two different modes that laser welders operate in are keyhole welding and conduction limited welding.
The mode depends on the power density striking the workpiece.
What is Haz cracking?
A heat-affected zone (HAZ) crack is another term for under-bead crack, which forms near the fusion line.
It is known to occur on both high alloy and low alloy steel.
There can be many causes of cracking, from contamination to rapid cooling.
In almost every case, however, cracking is the result of internal stresses exceeding the base metal, the weld, or both.
Should I set up my own shop as a welder?
Starting and running your own welding shop entails a great deal of responsibility.
But if you think you have the business acumen and welding skills to make it, you might just be putting yourself on the path to business success.
To succeed, you must have a strong business plan, a good financial foundation, solid management skills, and an empathetic customer-centric approach.