Welding is one of the highest-paid trades skills that only requires a high school diploma or GED and training to qualify for an entry-level position as a welder.
There are associate degrees for advanced welding.
But training certificates from top-tier schools are enough to give you an entry-level position in the welding field.
Welding may suit you if you enjoy working by your hands and like creating or fixing things.
It offers various benefits, such as working in different industries, different work setups, and a very lucrative income.
If you’ve decided to enter the welding industry, here’s a list of top schools in Sacramento offering comprehensive welding programs and courses.
1 Universal Technical Institute
Universal Technical Institute (UTI) was established in 1965.
It has 15 campuses in California, Texas, Arizona, Florida, Michigan, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and North Carolina.
UTI offers specialized technical training programs under four brands.
These are the Universal Technical Institute (UTI), Motorcycle Mechanics Institute (MMI) / Marine Mechanics Institute (MMI), NASCAR Technical Institute (NASCAR Tech), and MIAT College of Technology.
ACCSC, a body acknowledged by the U.S. Department of Education, accredits all campuses of UTI, ensuring quality education.
Its ultimate goal is to make a genuine difference—one life at a time—by guiding individuals in achieving their aspirations.
About The Welding Program
Universal Technical Institute (UTI) Sacramento offers a state-of-the-industry Welding Program in partnership with Lincoln Electric.
It provides hands-on training and has flexible class hours, and students can use VRTEX® virtual welders.
The course covers the following:
- Introduction to Welding, Safety, and Careers: An overview of various welding methods, equipment, and potential career paths.
- Principles of Welding: In-depth lessons into metal properties, classifications, joints, positions, and symbols.
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding I & II: Covers the nuances of SMAW equipment and its application.
- Gas Metal Arc Welding I & II: Comprehensive training in setting up and using GMAW equipment.
- Flux-Cored Arc Welding: Exploration of gas and gasless flux-cored welding.
- Pipe Welding: Introduction to different methods of welding pipes.
- Engineering and Fabrication: Grasp the art of reading blueprints, understanding codes, and project fabrication.
- Welding Applications I & II: Real-world projects that test students on their accumulated skills.
After completion, students will have dynamic career paths with an entry-level role in Welder, Fabrication Welder, or Welder Fitter.
If you already have experience in Welding, you may advance to Inspector, Certified Welding Inspector, and Welding Project Manager positions.
Address: 4100 Duckhorn Drive Sacramento, CA 95834
2 UEI College - Sacramento
UEI College is a vocational training and education established in 1982.
It was formerly a United Education Institute and was renamed to its current name in 2009.
It specializes in short-term vocational and technical education, preparing students with entry-level positions in business, healthcare, and skilled trades industries.
Its mission is to drive personal and community growth by empowering students to bring lasting positive change.
The ACCET accredits UEI campuses in Anaheim, Morrow, West Covina, Phoenix, Huntington Park, Chula Vista, San Marcos, Stockton, Encino, and Ontario.
In contrast, ACCSC accredits UEI campuses in Fresno, Gardena, Riverside, Bakersfield, and Sacramento.
About The Welding Program
UEI offers a dynamic Welding Training Program designed to provide students with a strong foundation in the art and science of welding.
The program combines online, on-site, and labs hands-on learning for only ten months.
UEI welding instructors have extensive experience in welding and are seasoned professionals to ensure students have the best guidance they need to prosper in the welding path.
The program covers the following:
- Welding Principles and Safety
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding
- Gas Metal Arc Welding
- Gas Tungsten Arc Welding
- Flux Cored Arc Welding
- Oxy-Fuel Welding and Cutting Processes
- Welding Alloys
- Metal Fabrication and Layout
- Welding Blueprint Reading and Planning
Upon completion, you will earn a welding diploma to help you become marketable and competitive.
Although welding does not require formal education, having training and a diploma will give you an edge over those who do not have proper training.
Address: 4424 Florin Rd. Suite D. Sacramento, CA 95823
3 American River College
American River College (ARC) is a California academic and vocational institution.
It belongs to the Los Rios Community College District with a 135-acre campus and serves over 30,000 students every semester.
It was established in 1942 as a Grant Union Junior College in Del Paso Heights, training civilian personnel for national service during World War II.
Over the years, ARC evolved and was renamed its current name in 1965.
Its mission is to create an academically stimulating environment prioritizing inclusivity and encouraging critical thinking.
The school aims to equip students with basic skills, provide robust academic programs, and facilitate smooth transfers to other higher educational institutions.
ARC’s commitment to delivering quality education is evident in its accreditation by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges
About The Welding Program
ARC Welding Technology offers pathways for aspiring welders by providing both an Associate in Science degree and specialized certificates.
Its main objective is to shape student’s paths to excel in a booming career in welding.
It has expert faculties with an extensive experience in the industry.
The course is tailored in partnership with local employers and aligns with the American Welding Society’s standards.
Here are the course roadmaps:
- Welding Technology A.S. Degree (Full Time, Fall Start)
- Welding Technology Certificate (Part-Time, Fall Start)
- Shielded Metal Arc Plate and Pipe Certificate (Daytime & Evening Variants)
- Gas Tungsten Arc Plate and Pipe Welding (180 hours) Certificate (Morning & Evening Variants)
- Flux Core Arc Welding Plate and Gas Metal Arc (252 hours) Certificate (Morning & Evening Variants)
- Welding Equipment Maintenance and Blueprint Interpretation (234 hours) Certificate (Evenings)
- Welding Metallurgy and Inspection (270 hours) Certificate (Weekends)
Address: 4700 College Oak Drive Sacramento, CA 95841
4 Cosumnes River College
Cosumnes River College (CRC) was founded in 1970, offering high-quality and innovative education.
It is a member of the Los Rios Community College District.
This association ranks the district amongst the country’s most esteemed learning institutions and solidifies its position as California’s second-largest community college district.
The district, covers the expansive Sacramento region, four colleges, six education centers, and a tailored workforce.
Also, economic development initiatives that cater to local businesses, governments, and other community entities.
CRC’s mission is to shape its diverse student body’s futures, preparing them for tomorrow’s challenges.
About The Welding Program
CRC offers a comprehensive welding program tailored for passionate individuals in the fabrication and repair industry.
The program suits both seeking employment and advancement in the welding industry.
Here are the program highlights:
- WELD 100: An entrée into welding, this course fuses safety, electric arc welding, and modern power source theory.
- WELD 110: Delve into the intricate methods of shielded metal arc welding, essential for constructing structural steel beams.
- WELD 111: Navigate the complex world of pipe welding with a blend of theory and practical application.
- WELD 113: Gain mastery over the flux core arc welding process, essential for steel beam constructions.
- WELD 125: An immersive experience into Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) and Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW).
- WELD 126 & 127: Explore plate and sheet metal welding procedures, respectively.
- WELD 128 & 129: Specialize in the Gas Tungsten Arc Welding of Aluminum Alloys and Stainless Steel.
- WELD 145: Craft and design your project, from sketching to understanding the nitty-gritty of welding.
- WELD 151: An advanced journey preparing students for the robust welding industry.
- WELD 294, 295, 298 & 299: Courses offering specialized training, independent studies, work experience, and welding experiments.
Upon completion, students will have an Associate of Science Degree in Welding Technology, a Welding Code Certificate, and a Welding Fabricator Certificate.
Address: 8401 Center Parkway Sacramento, CA 95823
Schools Summary Table
|#1||Universal Technical Institute|
|#2||UEI College - Sacramento|
|#3||American River College|
|#4||Cosumnes River College|