Licensed Massage Therapist (LMT) in Washington – Schools, Salary, and License Info

Licensed Massage Therapist (LMT) in Washington

Washington has more strict requirements for massage therapy students.

You not only have to be 18 years old and enroll in a course but also pass several exams.

Let’s read more about them below.

Training Requirements

To get licensed as a massage therapist, you need to attend a 500 hour course or become an apprentice.

Popular Programs

In either case, the facility must be Board accredited.

The training topics must cover:

  • 265 hours of Massage theory and practice, from which 50 hours can be practice only
  • 55 hours of clinical and business practices
  • 130 hours of anatomy and physiology
  • 50 hours of pathology

You must also take CPR and first aid training with the American Heart Association and the American Red Cross.

School Name Address
Altierus 906 SE Everett Mall Way, #600 Everett, WA 98208
Ananda Massage Training 6505 218th Street SW #15 Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043
Ancient Arts Massage School 1319 Lee Blvd. Richland, WA 99352
Bellevue Massage School 15921 NE 8th #106-C Bellevue, WA 98008
Bodymechanics School of Myotherapy & Massage 2330 Mottman Rd. #106 Tumwater, WA 98512
Bodymechanics School of Myotherapy & Massage 7723 NE Fourth Plain Blvd. Van Mall Sq. Vancouver, WA 98662
Carrington College 10102 E. Knox Ave., Suite 200 Spokane, WA 99206
Center for World Indigenous Studies 1015 4th Ave. West #A&B Olympia, WA 98502
Clover Park Technical College 4500 Steilacoom Blvd. SW Lakewood, WA 98499
Cortiva Institute 2030 SOUTH 314th Street Federal Way, WA 98003
Denton Massage School 426 North Olympia Ave. Arlington, WA 98223
Everest College - Now Altierus 2156 Pacific Ave. Tacoma, WA 98402
Inland Massage Institute 775 East Holland Ave. #110 Spokane, WA 99218
Institute of Structural Medicine 103 Ross Rd. Twisp, WA 98856
Northwest School of Animal Massage PO Box 670 Fall City, WA 98024
Northwest Academy of Healing Arts 2707 California Ave. SW #201 Seattle, WA 98116
Port Townsend School of Massage 1071 Landes Court Port Townsend, WA 98368
Spectrum Center School of Massage 12506 18th St. NE #1 Lake Stevens, WA 98258
Spokane Community College 1810 North Greene St. Spokane, WA 99217
Tri-City School of Massage 26 East Third Ave Kennewick, WA 99336
Whatcom Community College 237 West Kellogg Rd. Bellingham, WA 98226

Exam requirements

You will have to take the MBLXe exam, and you will also need to read the candidate bulletin beforehand.

If you were an apprentice, you need to prove eligibility before applying.

The ATT allows you to take the exam within 3 months.

If you choose to take the BCETMB exam through the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork, you will need to comply with higher standards than the one for state licensing.

You also need to pass an online jurisprudence exam.

After passing, make sure to print your certificate right away as the results are not kept.

How to apply

To apply, you have to submit official school transcripts, your CPR and first aid certification, test results, and any other health license you hold.

You will also have to get your background check by the Washington State Patrol and have your professional history reviewed.

You only need to submit your fingerprints if some answers in your application are affirmative, or if the Board is unsure of your professional background.

As a military spouse, you can get licensed faster.

Candidates from other states

You need to submit credentials from where you currently live as well as where you lived in the past.

You can get reciprocity licenses if the state in which you are already licensed has similar standards to Washington.

The Department of Health will require the results of your exams as well as training proof.

Still, you need to pass the required jurisprudence exam and take 5 hours of training in HIV/ AIDS.

If your documents are in another language, they need to be translated into English and legalized.

As a candidate from another state, you might have to get a fingerprint-based background check.

Endorsements in massage therapy

For an intraoral endorsement, you need 16 hours of education as follows:

  • Cranial anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology, and intraoral massage technique
  • Safety, sanitation, and hygienic practice
  • Pathology and contraindications

For animal massage endorsements, you need the below training:

  • Animal Anatomy and physiology: 20 hours
  • Animal kinesiology: 25 hours
  • Animal massage techniques: 25 hours
  • Handling techniques: 26 hours
  • Animal first aid: 4 hours

Other info

You can learn more about the licensing process on the Washington State Department of Health website.

The renewal of the license in this state happens every year.

Location and experience influence the salary, including the median one.

Annual Salary Range:
Annual Salary by Location:
Location Avg. Annual Salary
Seattle $56,115
Spokane $50,883
Tacoma $54,683
Vancouver $53,475
Bellevue $56,115
Kent $54,574
Everett $54,884
Renton $56,060
Federal Way $54,683
Yakima $50,769

Regional Salary in Washington

Region Employed Avg. Annual Salary Avg. Hourly Pay Top 10% Annual Salary Bottom 10% Annual Salary
Bellingham, WA160$68,330$32.85$91,500$32,120
Bremerton-Silverdale, WA70$77,550$37.28$98,200$46,210
Kennewick-Richland, WA190$64,950$31.23$79,250$39,020
Olympia-Tumwater, WA140$67,910$32.65$95,300$30,990
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA1,670$76,010$36.54$117,630$46,800
Spokane-Spokane Valley, WA240$62,540$30.07$82,340$31,680
Wenatchee, WA50$68,910$33.13$97,610$38,570
Yakima, WA100$70,200$33.75$101,320$38,490
* Salary information based on the May 2022 Occupational Employment Statistics (OES) Survey for Massage Therapists, OCC Code 31-9011, BLS.
* Employment conditions in your area may vary.

USA Massage Therapy by State

Leave a Comment