Maybe you are looking for a new career opportunity.
In that case, becoming an auto mechanic in Texas might be a good idea.
So, check out below the main requirements for this job.
Article Table of Contents
Auto Mechanic Training in Texas
What you should first do is look for a training program where you can develop your skills.
Earn your accredited, affordable Auto Repair career diploma online with Penn Foster in as little as 6 months!
This will help you get that first job and start your career.
You can opt for a shorter program ending in a diploma or a higher degree program.
Some higher degree programs include the associate’s degree and bachelor’s degree.
In Texas, some auto mechanic training programs include:
- Universal Technical Institute
- Lincoln Tech
To get into the program, you have to fulfill the below requirements:
- A high school graduate or have a GED
- Good at math
- Computer proficient
- Good with physics
The credit hours vary from program to program will also differ, but the subjects will be the same.
The chosen training program also has to be approved by the National Automotive Technician Education Foundation (NATEF).
It is also possible to enroll in a program before you finish high school.
Earning an ASE Certification in Texas
In Texas, auto mechanics can get the ASE certification if they want a higher salary.
This certification is not required, most employing companies are only hiring if you have one.
ASE requires at least 2 years of documented experience as an auto mechanic before you can register.
You will also have to make an appointment with a center nearby to take the licensing exam.
The ASE certification lasts for 5 years, so you will need to renew it before the end of the period.
This requires another exam covering the same topics.
ASE provided the following series of tests for those who want to become master auto mechanics:
- Auto Maintenance and Light Repair Certification Test (G1)
- Automobile & Light Truck Certification Tests (A Series)
- Collision Repair & Refinish Certification Tests (B Series)
- Damage Analysis & Estimating Certification Test (B6)
- Automobile Service Consultant Certification Test (C1)
- Truck Equipment Certification Tests (E Series)
- Alternate Fuels Certification Test (F1)
- Transit Bus Certification Tests (H Series)
- Advanced Engine Performance Specialist Certification Test (L1)
- Electronic Diesel Engine Diagnosis Specialist Certification Test (L2)
- Light Duty Hybrid/Electric Vehicle Specialist Test (L3)
- Engine Machinist Certification Tests (M Series)
- Parts Specialist Certification Tests (P Series)
- School Bus Certification Tests (S Series)
- Medium-Heavy Truck Certification Tests (T Series)
- Undercar Specialist Exhaust Systems Test (X1)
Earning the EPA 609-Refrigerant Certification in Texas
If you are looking to work on Motor Vehicle Air Conditioning, you will need an EPA 609-Refrigerant Certification.
Enrolling in a 609-refrigerant certification training program is needed to get this certification.
You will also have to take a test after the program completes.
The program also ends with a test you need to pass with a score of at least 84%.
Earning a Manufacturer Certification in Texas
To work on cars manufactured by a company, you have to get a manufacturer certification.
You will need to join a training program from a brand like Ford, Honda, Chrysler, or BMW.
Salaries and Employment Information for Auto Mechanics in Texas
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), reports that auto mechanics in South Dakota earn about $39,394 per year.
If you are one of the top 10% of auto mechanics, your salary can reach $50,906 per year.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
You will be able to get a higher salary if you work in a big city, as rural areas have fewer work opportunities.
Generally, the auto mechanic industry is growing.
This means that you will be able to get your first job quite easily.
In Texas, many different companies hire auto mechanics.
Some of these are dealerships, car tire shops, and brake and lube shops.
If you are a diesel mechanic, you can also find a job with a large transportation firm in your area.
If you decide to pursue a career in the automotive field, the most important aspect is your training.
If you complete your certification, you will be able to build a solid career in the industry.