Hawaii is the perfect place to start an auto mechanic career.
If this profession is your calling, make sure to read this article to learn more about it.
In this state, you will have to attend training and get a license.
Article Table of Contents
Auto Mechanic Training in Hawaii
The first thing you should do is find a suitable program to join.
Earn your accredited, affordable Auto Repair career diploma online with Penn Foster in as little as 6 months!
You can either decide on a diploma, which will take less time to get or attend university.
An associate’s or a bachelor’s degree takes about 2 years to finish.
However, you will also have better credentials which secure a higher paid job in the future.
You will only be received in the program if you meet some requirements.
Some of thee requirements include:
- A high school diploma or GED
- Good at math
- Computer proficient
- Good with physics
The credit hours vary from program to program will also differ, but the subjects will be the same.
The program you choose has to be accredited by the National Automotive Technician Education Foundation (NATEF).
You can find suitable auto mechanic programs in the following schools:
- Hawaii Community College is located in Hilo, Hawaii
- Kauai Community College campus is in Lihue, Hawaii
- University of Hawaii Maui College, Kahului, Hawaii
If you want to get a head start on your career, you can attend a program while you are still in high school.
Getting an ASE Certification in Hawaii
There is no requirement to get an ASE certification in Hawaii.
But, you will only be able to get employed once you get once, as most employers require it.
To get this certification, you have to take and pass one of the certification exams.
You also need to have at least two years of related work experience.
The ASE certification has to be renewed after 5 years, for which you have to take the exam again.
In Hawaii, you can decide on an exam from the below categories:
- Auto Maintenance and Light Repair Certification Test (G1)
- Automobile & Light Truck Certification Tests (A Series)
- Collision Repair & Refinish Certification Tests (B Series)
- Damage Analysis & Estimating Certification Test (B6)
- Automobile Service Consultant Certification Test (C1)
- Truck Equipment Certification Tests (E Series)
- Alternate Fuels Certification Test (F1)
- Transit Bus Certification Tests (H Series)
- Advanced Engine Performance Specialist Certification Test (L1)
- Electronic Diesel Engine Diagnosis Specialist Certification Test (L2)
- Light Duty Hybrid/Electric Vehicle Specialist Test (L3)
- Engine Machinist Certification Tests (M Series)
- Parts Specialist Certification Tests (P Series)
- School Bus Certification Tests (S Series)
- Medium-Heavy Truck Certification Tests (T Series)
- Undercar Specialist Exhaust Systems Test (X1)
You can attend the exam if you schedule it with a center that is located in your region.
The ASE test cannot be taken online, so you will need to attend in person.
How to get an EPA 609-Refrigerant Certification in Hawaii
if you have this certification, you will be able to work on Motor Vehicle Air Conditioning.
To do this, you have to attend a 609-refrigerant certification training program.
After that, you have to take an exam, and get a score of 84% on it.
Unlike the ASE certification, you can attend this exam online.
Getting a Manufacturer Certification in Hawaii
This certification will allow you to work on cars made by one specific manufacturer.
The training programs are offered by the main manufacturers, like Ford, Honda, Chrysler, and BMW.
The training courses offer specific classes focused on certification.
Salary Information for Auto Mechanics in Hawaii
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), auto mechanics in Hawaii make around $42,091 a year.
But, the most successful of them earn a yearly wage of $54,391 per year.
How much you make depends on your region, your credentials as well as your work experience.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
Finding Employment as an Auto Mechanic in Hawaii
Hawaii is a small state, however, the auto mechanic industry is flourishing.
Generally, the highest salaries can be encountered in Maui and Kauai.
You can get an entry-level job for one of the many hiring companies.
The first step in building a successful career as an auto mechanic is to complete your studies.
After you get a certification, there will be nothing stopping you from enjoying a stable career.