There are many reasons why you could get into the auto mechanic industry in Utah.
If you like to work with cars and want a career in a stable field, this will be a good idea.
All you have to do is read the article below to learn more!
Article Table of Contents
Auto Mechanic Training in Utah
You can develop your skills if you join a training program.
Earn your accredited, affordable Auto Repair career diploma online with Penn Foster in as little as 6 months!
A training program will also help you get the certification to find your first job.
There are several programs you can choose from, from which some are shorter.
If you choose to pursue a diploma, you will only have to study for a few months.
However, you can also choose a bachelor’s or associate’s degree which takes about 2 years to finish.
Getting a university degree will bring more career opportunities in the future.
In Utah, some auto mechanic training programs are:
- Utah Valley University
- Salt Lake Community College
- Snow College
- Uintah Basin Applied Technology College
- Dixie State University
To join the auto mechanic training program, you have to fulfill the below requirements:
- A high school graduate or have a GED
- Good at math
- Computer proficient
- Good with physics
The credit hours vary from program to program will also differ, but the subjects will be the same.
The training program you pursue should also be approved by the National Automotive Technician Education Foundation (NATEF).
Another way of starting your career faster is to enroll in a program before you finish high school.
Earning an ASE Certification in Utah
In Utah, if you want to work as an auto mechanic, you have to get certified first.
The ASE certification is not required in Utah.
But, in larger areas, you will need to have one to get hired faster.
The application process involves providing proof of two years of related work experience.
Furthermore, you will also have to pass a certification exam in a testing center.
For this, you will need to make an appointment with a testing center first.
The certification stays current for about 5 years, and you will have to renew it after it expires.
Upon renewal, auto mechanics have to take the certification exam again.
You can also become a master auto mechanic if you pass the exams in one of the following categories:
- Auto Maintenance and Light Repair Certification Test (G1)
- Automobile & Light Truck Certification Tests (A Series)
- Collision Repair & Refinish Certification Tests (B Series)
- Damage Analysis & Estimating Certification Test (B6)
- Automobile Service Consultant Certification Test (C1)
- Truck Equipment Certification Tests (E Series)
- Alternate Fuels Certification Test (F1)
- Transit Bus Certification Tests (H Series)
- Advanced Engine Performance Specialist Certification Test (L1)
- Electronic Diesel Engine Diagnosis Specialist Certification Test (L2)
- Light Duty Hybrid/Electric Vehicle Specialist Test (L3)
- Engine Machinist Certification Tests (M Series)
- Parts Specialist Certification Tests (P Series)
- School Bus Certification Tests (S Series)
- Medium-Heavy Truck Certification Tests (T Series)
- Undercar Specialist Exhaust Systems Test (X1)
Earning the EPA 609-Refrigerant Certification in Utah
If you will work on Motor Vehicle Air Conditioning, the state of Utah requires an EPA 609-Refrigerant Certification.
You will first have to join a 609-refrigerant certification training program to obtain this certification.
After the program finishes, you will also have to take and pass a test.
The program also ends with a test you need to pass with a score of at least 84%.
Earning a Manufacturer Certification in Utah
If you plan on working on cars produced by a company, you will need a manufacturer certification.
This can be done by joining a training program from a brand like Ford, Honda, Chrysler, or BMW.
Salary and Employment Information for Auto Mechanics in Utah
As The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports, auto mechanics in Utah have a salary of about $38,000 per year.
The top 10% of auto mechanics can make up to $49,000 per year.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
|Salt Lake City||$38,124|
Because career options are better in bigger cities, you can also earn a higher salary in such areas.
As the auto mechanic industry is growing, you can get a higher salary even in an entry-level position.
In Utah, you can easily get hired in one of the many companies in your area.
These are dealerships, car tire shops, and brake and lube shops.