If you have the talent to work with your hands and also like cars, an auto mechanic career is perfect for you.
But, you will need to complete training and develop your skills first.
Read this guide to find out more!
Article Table of Contents
Auto Mechanic Training in Colorado
Before you get hired, you will need to attend a program in order to train.
Earn your accredited, affordable Auto Repair career diploma online with Penn Foster in as little as 6 months!
Training will help you get the skills you need to find a good job in the field.
The program you opt for depends on how much education you are willing to pursue.
You can either pursue a certificate or get an associate’s degree.
You can also opt for a bachelor’s degree if you want higher credentials.
Before you can attend the program you chose, you need to fulfill some requirements.
These include the following:
- A high school graduate or have a GED
- Good at math
- Computer proficient
- Good with physics
The credit hours vary from program to program will also differ, but the subjects will be the same.
Keep in mind you need to join a program approved by the National Automotive Technician Education Foundation (NATEF).
The associate’s degree and bachelor’s degree programs take around 2 years to complete.
You can locate suitable auto mechanic programs in the schools below:
- Arapahoe Community College
- Pikes Peak Community College
- Colorado Mesa University
If you are a high-school student in Colorado, you can attend a program before you graduate.
Such programs are available in Overland High School in Aurora, Brighton High School in Brighton, and Doherty High School in Colorado Springs.
How to Get an ASE Certification in Colorado
In Colorado, you are not required to pursue an ASE certification.
But, most employers ask for it, so you may have a hard time finding a job if you don’t have it.
To become ASE certified, you have to take only one of the 50 tests put at your disposal.
To be eligible for the ASE diploma, you need:
- Two years of related work experience
- To pass an exam
In order to keep this certification current, you need to take the exam again after 5 years pass.
In Colorado, you can choose from one of the exam categories below:
- Auto Maintenance and Light Repair Certification Test (G1)
- Automobile & Light Truck Certification Tests (A Series)
- Collision Repair & Refinish Certification Tests (B Series)
- Damage Analysis & Estimating Certification Test (B6)
- Automobile Service Consultant Certification Test (C1)
- Truck Equipment Certification Tests (E Series)
- Alternate Fuels Certification Test (F1)
- Transit Bus Certification Tests (H Series)
- Advanced Engine Performance Specialist Certification Test (L1)
- Electronic Diesel Engine Diagnosis Specialist Certification Test (L2)
- Light Duty Hybrid/Electric Vehicle Specialist Test (L3)
- Engine Machinist Certification Tests (M Series)
- Parts Specialist Certification Tests (P Series)
- School Bus Certification Tests (S Series)
- Medium-Heavy Truck Certification Tests (T Series)
- Undercar Specialist Exhaust Systems Test (X1)
In order to take the test, you will have to first schedule it in advance with a testing center in your region.
This exam has to be attended in person, and you can’t take it online.
How to Get an EPA 609-Refrigerant Certification
If you want to be to do Motor Vehicle Air Conditioning, you will need this certification.
For this, you need to attend a 609-refrigerant certification training course.
After the course is finished, you will have to take an exam and score at least 84%.
If you don’t have enough time to join a physical course, you can also attend this program online.
Training as an Apprentice
Apprenticeships are not a common way of becoming an auto mechanic.
The only period that can be considered an apprenticeship is the internship that is mandatory in the formal educational programs.
Salaries for Auto Mechanics in Colorado
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), auto mechanics in Colorado make about $40,000 per year.
How much you earn will also vary according to your region.
In some specific areas, you can even make over $50,000 a year.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
Where to find work as an auto mechanic in Colorado
In Colorado, the best regions to get hired as an auto mechanic are Denver, Colorado Springs, and Boulder.
You can also find a well-paid job in Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, and Grand Junction.
After you complete your training and get certified, you can get hired by a dealership, warehouse, or paint shop.