Being an auto mechanic in New York can be quite lucrative.
This profession is sought after, and you will get many opportunities to advance.
But, first of all, you need to complete a period of training.
So, read on about the steps you need to take to become an auto mechanic in New York.
Earn your accredited, affordable Auto Repair career diploma online with Penn Foster in as little as 6 months!
Article Table of Contents
Auto Mechanic Training in New York
In order to complete your training, you have to find a program and enroll.
The training programs for auto mechanics vary in length, with the shorter ones ending in a diploma.
Training programs are offered in several community colleges and trade schools in the state of New York.
If you are looking to pursue higher education, your best bet is an associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree.
Any of these will bring you increased work opportunities and a higher salary.
However, you can also select a shorter program that lasts for less than a year.
The training programs for auto mechanics in New York include the following:
- Erie Community College (ECC)
- CUNY Bronx Community College (BCC)
- Corning Community College (CCC)
You are eligible for enrollment if you meet the following requirements:
- A high school graduate or have a GED
- Good at math and physics
- Computer proficient
The credit hours vary from program to program will also differ, but the subjects will be the same.
Either way, the program you select has to be approved by the National Automotive Technician Education Foundation (NATEF).
If you want to start your career early, you can also join a program as a high school student.
Earning an ASE Certification in New York
This state does not require auto mechanics to get any specific certification.
But, having one will only increase your chances of finding a well-paid job.
In addition, many employers in larger areas only hire auto mechanics who are ASE certified.
The ASE certification is available after you pass a licensing exam.
You also need to provide proof of two years of related work experience.
The ASE certification has to be renewed after 5 years, and for this, you have to take the exam again.
ASE gives the possibility to auto mechanics to become master auto mechanics.
These are the exams you must pass for this:
- Auto Maintenance and Light Repair Certification Test (G1)
- Automobile & Light Truck Certification Tests (A Series)
- Collision Repair & Refinish Certification Tests (B Series)
- Damage Analysis & Estimating Certification Test (B6)
- Automobile Service Consultant Certification Test (C1)
- Truck Equipment Certification Tests (E Series)
- Alternate Fuels Certification Test (F1)
- Transit Bus Certification Tests (H Series)
- Advanced Engine Performance Specialist Certification Test (L1)
- Electronic Diesel Engine Diagnosis Specialist Certification Test (L2)
- Light Duty Hybrid/Electric Vehicle Specialist Test (L3)
- Engine Machinist Certification Tests (M Series)
- Parts Specialist Certification Tests (P Series)
- School Bus Certification Tests (S Series)
- Medium-Heavy Truck Certification Tests (T Series)
- Undercar Specialist Exhaust Systems Test (X1)
Keep in mind that you have to schedule your exam online first in order to take it.
ASE exams are available through testing centers all around New York.
Earning an EPA 609-Refrigerant Certification in New York
To work on Motor Vehicle Air Conditioning, you need to obtain EPA 609-Refrigerant Certification.
But, you will first need to attend a 609-refrigerant certification training program.
This course is also available online for students who aren’t able to attend classes in person.
After the program finishes, you have to take an exam and score 84% to get the EPA 609-Refrigerant Certification.
Earning a Manufacturer Certification in New York
If you get the manufacturer certification, you can work on any vehicle produced by one company.
For this too you first need to join a program offered through one of the big companies like Ford, Chrysler, Honda, or BMW.
Salary Information for Auto Mechanics in New York
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that auto mechanics in New York have an average salary of $43,045 yearly.
However, you can earn up to $55,625 annually or more.
There are some areas in New York where earnings are higher, such as in New York City.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
Your salary will also depend on other factors such as how much experience you have working in the field.
The most lucrative areas to find a job as an auto mechanic in New York include New York City, Rochester, Buffalo, and Ithaca.