HVAC Schools in Oklahoma (Top Programs Listed)

Earn your accredited, affordable HVAC career diploma online with Penn Foster in as little as 5 months!

See more details >>Sponsored

HVAC Schools in Oklahoma

HVAC technicians are in high demand in Oklahoma, making this a good career to consider.

This article will guide you through the process of getting licensed and start working.


In Oklahoma, the median yearly salary is $43,927 with the median one at the top of $49,774 per year.

The average salary in the United States is $46,731 per year, while the average at the top is $52,951 per year.

Featured Program

Earn your accredited, affordable HVAC career diploma online with Penn Foster in as little as 5 months!

Request Information
Search HVACR Certified Technician Programs

Get information on HVACR Certified Technician programs by entering your zip code and request enrollment information.

Sponsored Ad
Annual Salary Range:
Annual Salary by Location:
LocationAvg. Annual Salary
Oklahoma City$44,315
Broken Arrow$44,694

Become An Apprentice

The apprenticeship period is the first one in all trades.

In Oklahoma, all apprentices must be registered to ensure they attend an accredited program with a legitimate master.


  • At least 14 years old
  • Have the right to work in the USA
  • Be able to work

Having the right to work in the USA means being here legally, and for this, you’ll have to provide a notarized form.

Registration as an apprentice means you’ll receive a car for which you’ll pay $25.

This card is valid for 1 year and renewing it costs $20.

At this stage there is no testing you need to pass, however, the contractor you’ll work under, has to fill out a form and be licensed.

These schools can provide the classroom education you need for this step.

School NameAddress
Autry Technology Center1201 W WillowEnid, Oklahoma 73703
Caddo Kiowa Technology Center1415 N. 7th StreetFort Cobb, Oklahoma 73038
Canadian Valley Technology Center6505 E Hwy 66El Reno, Oklahoma 73036
Eastern Oklahoma County Technology Center4601 N Choctaw RdChoctaw, Oklahoma 73020
Gordon Cooper Technology Center1 John C Bruton BlvdShawnee, Oklahoma 74804
Great Plains Technology Center4500 W Lee BlvdLawton, Oklahoma 73505
Indian Capital Technology Center2403 N 41st St EMuskogee, Oklahoma 74403
Kiamichi Technology Center1509 S McKennaPoteau, Oklahoma 74953
Meridian Technology Center1312 S Sangre RdStillwater, Oklahoma 74074
Mid-America Technology Center27438 State Hwy 59Wayne, Oklahoma 73095
Mid-Del Technology Center1621 Maple DrMidwest City, Oklahoma 73110
Moore Norman Technology Center4701 12th Avenue NWNorman, Oklahoma 73069
Red River Technology Center3300 W Bois D ArcDuncan, Oklahoma 73533
Southern Oklahoma Technology Center2610 Sam Noble PkyArdmore, Oklahoma 73401
Tulsa Technology Center3420 S Memorial DriveTulsa, Oklahoma 74145
Vatterott College4343 S. 118th E. Ave, Suite ATulsa, Oklahoma 74146
Wes Watkins Technology Center7892 Highway 9Wetumka, Oklahoma 74883

HVAC/R Journeyman and Contractor Licenses

The Construction Industries Board issues licenses for HVAC/R journeymen and contractors.

There are 2 main licenses with several categories each.

HVAC Limited Journeyman or Limited Contractor

As the name suggests, this certification limits you when it comes to the work you’re allowed to perform.

For instance, you can only work on systems up to 25 tons if their purpose is that of cooling.

If you work on heating systems, they can’t go over 500,000 Btu/h per appliance.

Refrigeration, natural gas piping, and sheet metal are other areas of work allowed by this license.

HVAC Unlimited Journeyman or Unlimited Contractor

As the name suggests, the above restrictions don’t apply to the holders of this certification.

Limited Residential Journeyman

With this certification, you can only work on:

  • detached one- or two-family dwellings
  • townhouse-type dwellings with a maximum of 3 levels
  • cooling systems under 5 tons
  • heating systems under 150,000 Btu/h
  • installing related accessories – clothes dryer ventilation, kitchen vent hoods, or exhaust fans

Be careful when accepting work as you cannot perform work:

  • on apartment houses or buildings
  • that involves welding, soldering or brazing; fuel gas piping, or final electrical connections.

This certification is not available for contractors, so those who want to work on residential properties need the Limited Contractor license.

Refrigeration Journeyman or Refrigeration Contractor

For this license, you also need to have the Section 608 certification if you want to work with refrigerants, as it allows you to perform work on refrigeration systems, equipment or products.

Section 608 certification is required by federal law, all over the country.

License Requirements

To get the license in the HVAC/R field in this state, you have to meet these requirements:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Prove 3 years of experience in the field
  • Any of the education and experience combinations from below:
    • Associate’s degree with at least 1,000 hours of an educational program and 1 year of experience;
    • Vocational diploma with at least 500 hours of an educational program, and 2 years experience;
    • Vocational diploma with a minimum of 375 hours of an educational program, plus 2 ¼ years of experience;
    • Vocational diploma with a minimum of 334 hours of an educational program, and 2 ⅓ years of experience;
    • Vocational diploma with at least 250 hours of an educational program, and 2 ½ years of experience

The following situations could also be used:

  • Equivalent experience in the US military;
  • Have a verifiable out-of-state license in HVAC that:
    • is current,
    • is in good standing,
    • meets the qualifications listed above for training and experience

To complete the required education, you can contact and enroll in any of the schools mentioned earlier.

You have to pass an exam for which you submit an application once you’re sure you meet the requirements.

Make sure to pay the fees as well: $75 for journeyman and $330 for a contractor.

Contractor – Extra Requirements

Those who wish to become contractors must gain 1 year of experience as journeymen.

They also have to provide:

  • $5,000 surety bond
  • liability insurance of $50,000
  • workers’ compensation

Examination Process

If your above application gets approved, you’ll be instructed to contact PSI Exams to receive more details regarding the exam, including its location, date, and the materials you can use to study.

The Board recommends the following materials:

  • Oklahoma Fine Schedule of the Construction Industries Board, Oklahoma Code, Title 158, Chapter 10, Oklahoma Construction Industries Board
  • Oklahoma Worker’s Compensation Act, Oklahoma Statutes, Title 85, Oklahoma Construction Industries Board
  • Oklahoma Rules of Workers’ Compensation Court, Oklahoma Statutes, Title 85, Chapter 4, Appendix, Oklahoma Construction Industries Board
  • Oklahoma Mechanical Licensing Act, Oklahoma Statutes, Title 59, Chapter 43A, Oklahoma Construction Industries Board
  • Oklahoma Mechanical Industry Regulations, Oklahoma Code, Title 158, Chapter 50, Oklahoma Construction Industries Board
  • Oklahoma Lien Law, Oklahoma Statutes, Title 42, Chapter 3, Oklahoma Construction Industries Board

All the exams are open-book, you need to score over 70% to pass and below you can see for how long they last and the number of questions for each:

  • Journeyman Limited: 60 questions and 180 minutes
  • Journeyman Unlimited: 70 questions and 180 minutes
  • Contractor Limited: 80 questions and 210 minutes
  • Contractor Unlimited: 90 questions and 240 minutes
  • Refrigeration Contractor: 80 questions and 210 minutes

These are the topics in the exams:

  • Electrical Knowledge and Controls
  • Natural Gas Air Distribution Systems
  • Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Systems
  • Heating Systems Safety
  • Refrigeration Contractor
  • Electrical Knowledge and Controls
  • Refrigerants
  • Piping
  • Refrigeration Equipment and Components
  • Refrigeration Systems Operations
  • Safety

Both journeymen and contractors must pass the state’s Business and Law Exam.

License Renewal

Every 3 years you must renew your license.

The costs are: 

  • Journeyman: $75
  • Contractor: $200; if you delay by more than a month, you’ll have to pay $300.

Every 3 years you’ll have to also complete 6 continuing-education credits to keep your license, and the Board will send you a list of approved classes.


Oklahoma may not be the easiest place to become a HAVC technician, however, the trade is in high demand and will continue to rise in popularity, so now it’s a good time to consider this to be your new career.

USA HVAC Schools by State

Leave a Comment

Find a Program

Earn your accredited, affordable HVAC career diploma online with Penn Foster in as little as 5 months!

See more details >>Sponsored