Many households and businesses use heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems daily.
Since Americans rely heavily on those systems, it can be frustrating when something stops working.
When that happens, a phone call is made to an HVAC professional.
They take on the responsibility of diagnosing the problems and then fixing those issues.
Someone who is in the HVAC industry has to have special training to know how all of those systems work.
Below are the schools available in Colorado Springs, CO, that have HVAC programs.
Pikes Peak State College
About the School
Colorado Springs has a total of 947 people employed in the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning field.
The average salary in the Colorado Springs area for HVAC is approximately $55,657.
There are approximately 70 job postings for available jobs in the HVAC industry.
Trends have risen by 11.2 percent in the years 2020-2023, and are projected to rise by five percent from 2023 through 2027.
Pikes Peak State College can help you with certification and training for higher job opportunities in the HVAC field.
Pikes Peak State College has three different campuses as well as other additional learning centers around the Colorado Springs area.
Along with the additional campuses and learning centers, Pikes Peak State College has a variety of online options to choose from.
Pikes Peak values a community that is built on the following qualities: mutual respect, learning, and diversity.
Here are some of the ways they show those values:
- Mutual respect: They hold themselves accountable for all of their actions and decisions and foster support, mutual trust, and civility in their culture and community.
- Learning: Pikes Peak State College strives to keep its tuition and fees affordable to ensure as many students as possible can gain the education that they want. They do this by offering approximately one million dollars in scholarships every year. Most students who apply for financial assistance usually get accepted for financial help.
- Diversity: Pikes Peak College provides and supports diverse experiences and embraces the quality of life diversity can bring.
Pikes Peak College is considered to be the largest post-secondary educational facility in the Southern Colorado region.
They pride themselves on offering the most affordable and accessible education available in the area.
Pikes Peak State College offers a two-year associate’s program in the field of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration.
The HVAC program has a total of 68 credit hours that are required to earn an associate’s degree.
15 of those credit hours make up the required core course requirements.
The remaining 53 credit hours make up the requirements for the HVAC field of study.
The expected outcome of the program is for students to be able to do the following:
- Identify the problems in residential and commercial heating and ventilation system operations
- Calculate, measure, and interpret residential and commercial refrigeration systems along a wide range of systems.
- Learn and follow the safety procedures and policies included in the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning field.
- Analyze and evaluate commercial air conditioning equipment operating correctly.
Many disciplines are involved in the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning field of work.
However, Pikes Peak State College has one main focus for its HVAC program, which is the servicing and maintenance of equipment in commercial buildings, large facilities, and residences.
Address: 5675 S. Academy Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO, 80906
About the School
IntelliTec is an accredited college that has been around for many decades.
IntelliTec College started its first campus in 1965 under the name of Technical Trades Institute, Inc, located in Colorado Springs, CO.
Students can work directly with the staff and faculty of IntelliTec College on their financial, personal, and career goals to ensure maximum success.
IntelliTec allows its students to earn hands-on experience through on-campus facilities that are open for the community to use.
Some of these include cosmetology services, massage therapy services, and dental services.
If a student has finished their first term with 90% or higher attendance and a grade point average of at least 3.0, they have the opportunity to become part of the student ambassador program.
In the student ambassador program, students can become peer mentors and help maintain the student resource programs.
On its website, IntelliTec College lists 6 steps to apply to become a student:
- You can contact them by filling out an interest form, calling their phone number, or stopping by their closest location.
- Show proof of graduation or schooling, such as your high school diploma or GED.
- Learn about career options that are available at IntelliTec College
- Enroll with IntelliTec
- Begin your courses
The HVAC program at IntelliTec College lasts approximately 19.5 months at the Colorado Springs location.
The program is a two-year associate’s degree and has a total of 99 credit hours.
IntelliTec College includes the following courses in the refrigeration and HVAC program:
- Organizational communication and etiquette
- Business English
- Fundamentals of electricity I
- Fundamentals of electricity II
- Basic automatic controls
- Electric motors and controls
- Basic gas furnaces and safety
- Advanced gas furnaces and codes
- Heating fuels and combustion analysis
- Customer service for HVAC/r technicians
- Alternative heating systems
- Hydronic and pumps
- Refrigeration theory and EPA certification
- Basic refrigeration systems
- Advanced refrigerations
- Advanced refrigeration II
- Residential air conditioning
- Commercial A/C systems
- Commercial refrigeration
- Commercial refrigeration II
- Pneumatics and controls
- Advanced control systems
- Duct design and blueprint reading
- Performing load calculations
- College and career readiness
- Advanced career development
Throughout the program, IntelliTec College provides hands-on experience and opportunities for real problem-solving skills related to the HVAC industry.
Address: 2315 Pikes Peak Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO, 80909
Read the full guide: How to Become an HVAC Technician