If you live in North Dakota and want to become a medical coder and biller, then you came to the right place to learn more about this administrative medical field.
Article Table of Contents
Medical Billing – Requirements, Exam, Certification
You might think that creating an invoice is easy, but in the healthcare industry, this is far from being true.
First of all, as a future biller, you’re expected to train first and then pass a test to receive your certification.
There are a few general requirements for this position:
- An associate’s degree is recommended but not mandatory
- Prior knowledge of:
- Medical terms
- Be an AAPC member
- Pay, take, and score at least 70% on the exam
The fee for the exam is $399 and those who pass it become Certified Professional Billers (or CPBs).
In the case of failing the exam, you can take it once more, for free, if less than 1 year passed.
Medical Coding – Requirements, Certification
AAPC created medical coding to make certain processes in the medical field, easier.
Generally, to become a medical coder you’ll only need a high school diploma or GED, though prior knowledge of anatomy and medical terms is highly encouraged.
There are a few medical coding specializations, such as:
- Certified Outpatient Coder
- Certified Inpatient Coder
- Certified Risk Adjustment Coder
- Certified Professional Coder
To become certified, you’ll need to score at least 70% on the test, and training before the exam is recommended.
You have 5 hours and 40 minutes to answer 150 questions.
You can reference the following books during the exam:
- AMA’s CPT Professional Edition
- Your choice of ICD-10-CM code manual
- Your choice of HCPCS Level II code manual
Once you become certified, you’ll be in charge of turning the information found in medical records into shortcodes.
There are 3 types of codes you’re expected to be fluent in:
- HCPCS Level II
Although the best classes and teachers for medical coding and billing are at AAPC, other colleges also offer such classes.
While attending the courses at these colleges you might even choose to obtain an Associates degree to improve your:
- Chances of finding employment
- Career options
|DAKOTA COLLEGE||105 Simrall BlvdBottineau, ND|
|NORTH DAKOTA STATE COLLEGE OF SCIENCE||800 N 6th StWahpeton, ND|
|RASMUSSEN COLLEGE||4012 19th Avenue SWFargo, ND|
|WILLISTON STATE COLLEGE||1410 University AveWilliston, ND|
AAPC offers classes geared towards all the coding specialties mentioned above, however, this can’t really be said about all the schools.
This association organizes classes for medical billing as well, which can be completed at your own pace within a 6 months time frame.
As a future medical biller you’ll learn more about the following topics:
- Most coding aspects
- The various types of insurance plans
- The payer policies,
- The local and national coverage determinations
- The various healthcare industry rules and regulations
- The life cycle of a billing claim for the medical world
Some schools, including AAPC, can offer support to the graduates when it comes time for them to search for a job.
Those who earn their biller certification are recommended to earn the coder certification as well, as there are higher chances for employers to choose them.
Expected Salary and Other Information
How much you’ll earn generally depends on your experience, location, as well as other certifications or degrees you earned.
In North Dakota, Fargo and West Fargo are the cities where medical coders and billers earn on average more.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
The main employers in North Dakota for these professionals are:
- At the Ashley Medical Center Hospital, employees receive health and life insurance, flex spending accounts, and other benefits.
- At the Essential Health-Fargo, the staff is offered health, dental and vision coverage, a 401k plan, and cancer insurance, among others.
- St. Alexius Medical Center has more than 100 years of experience and offers its employees retirement plans, paid time off, and tuition assistance, and a few other benefits.