Many people wonder if they can work as a medical coder remotely.
So is it possible to complete the job and submit it online?
Remote coding offers a great component for many people, which is flexible work hours.
To work remotely as a medical coder, you need a high-speed Internet and Wi-Fi, no matter where you will work.
You can travel and still work but, typically, you need access through a secure connection for HIPAA compliance.
Many large employers turn to remote medical coding.
So they may have their additional requirements for HIPAA security and privacy.
As long as you work for a reputable company, medical coding is one of the most suitable careers for remote work.
You can work as an employee or an independent contractor.
This will be determined by the employer in advance.
Remote medical coders and billers are usually in charge of translating medical records of providers that specify patient encounters into diagnosis and procedure codes that will be submitted to different payers.
To obtain the necessary information to support the coding and billing of a patient encounter precisely for reimbursement, billers and coders need access to the medical records.
Remote medical coding and billing can be done through a contract, full- or part-time job, or per diem.
Advantages of Remote Work
- Flexible schedules.
- It improves productivity as it allows autonomy.
- More personal and family time.
- No commuting costs so gas and car maintenance are eliminated.
- Availability to work from home or other remote sites.
- Less stressful, as there is no micromanaging.
- No professional work wardrobe required, which can save you money.
Some Perceived “Downsides”
- Must be careful with patient info (HIPAA compliant).
- Less interaction with others.
To become a successful remote biller or coder, you have to be sure to adhere to the “Golden Rules of Remote Work:”
- Stay organized!
- Maintain self-discipline.
- Be results-oriented.
- Must be an independent worker and able to time manage accordingly.
- Get up the same time daily and get dressed as if you had to leave the house (unless you’re sick).
- Have a separate home office from the rest of your home.
Becoming a CPC can be a great career move.
If you start your own company and work remotely, it can greatly benefit your lifestyle.
However, it may not be for everyone.
For others, remote coding is a productive and viable way to work in the industry.
Read the full guide: How to Become a Medical Biller and Coder