In Wyoming, those who want to become dental hygienists need to earn a dental hygiene degree first and then ensure they qualify to obtain a license.
Licenses are issued by the Wyoming Board of Dental Examiners.
Article Table of Contents
- 1 Earn a Dental Hygiene Degree
- 2 Extra Certifications
- 3 National Board Dental Hygiene Examination (NBDHE)
- 4 Clinical Exam
- 5 Jurisprudence Exam
- 6 Obtaining the Dental Hygienist License
- 7 Salary Expectations
- 8 Maintaining the License
Earn a Dental Hygiene Degree
The accepted degree can be an Associates’ or a Bachelors’ as long as the school received accreditation from CODA.
Those who wish to enroll in these programs might have to ensure they have good knowledge in the following areas:
- English composition
- Sociological principles
- Introduction to chemistry
- Mathematics problem solving
- Anatomy and physiology
- Human physiology
- American and Wyoming government and history
- Medical and pathogenic microbiology
In return, their coursework will include:
- Dental materials
- Oral, head, and neck anatomy
- Dental radiology
- Dental public health
- Pain management
- Dental hygiene seminar
- Dental hygiene clinical
|Gillette College||300 West Sinclair, Gillette, WY 82718|
|Laramie County Community College||1400 E College Dr, Cheyenne, WY 82007|
|Sheridan College||1 Whitney Way, Sheridan, WY 82801|
|University of Wyoming||4516 US-26, Torrington, WY 82240|
|University of Wyoming||1000 E University Ave, Laramie, WY 82071|
As a dental hygienist, an individual might be allowed to perform certain duties if they have the right certifications.
These duties and certifications are:
- Administration of local anesthesia and/or nitrous oxide
- Pit and fissure sealants
- Use of lasers for soft tissue therapy
These credentials are earned by those who completed the appropriate training for each and passed the according to the exam.
To work with laser, the professionals also need certification from the Academy of Laser Dentistry.
National Board Dental Hygiene Examination (NBDHE)
This is an exam with 350 questions that is mandatory in the process of obtaining the license.
The exam is administered by the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations (JCNDE) at Pearson Vue testing centers.
It has national recognition.
There are a series of testing agencies offering a clinical exam for dental hygienists.
In Wyoming, all 5 exams are accepted:
- Western Regional Examining Board (WREB)
- Central Regional Dental Testing Service (CRDTS)
- Commission on Dental Competency Assessments (CDCA)
- Southern Regional Testing Agency (SRTA)
- Council of Interstate Testing Agencies (CITA)
Some candidates might have taken and passed clinical exams sponsored by the state and they might not have to pass another test.
This exam has 25 questions and is sent out by the Board once they receive and analyze license application files.
Obtaining the Dental Hygienist License
In Wyoming, there are 3 ways in which candidates can become licensed, based on:
- When they finished their training
- Where they finished their training
Training Completed Less Than 1 Year Ago
These candidates have to pass the above-mentioned exams, download an application form from the Board’s website and provide the following documents:
- Official school transcripts
- Application form -filled in
- Exam results
- Proof of CPR certification
- 3 personal references
- 3 dental references
Training Completed More Than 1 Year Ago
This option is for those who graduated in Wyoming.
These candidates must meet one of the following requirements:
- Clinical exam passed in the recent 12 months
- Clinical exam passed more than 12 months back but completed 10 hours of continued education in the field of dental hygiene
Out of State Candidates
These candidates need to prove:
- They accumulated at least 800 clinical hours as a dental hygienist in the past 12 months
- They don’t have any pending or outstanding disciplinary or malpractice actions
These candidates have to submit their papers to the Professional Background Information Services (PBIS).
How much will a dental hygienist earn depends on a number of factors, including location and experience he/she has.Annual Salary Range:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
Maintaining the License
In Wyoming, all dental hygienists are required to keep a BLS/CPR certification for as long as they practice as a dental hygienist.
Read the full guide: How to Become a Dental Hygienist