Oregon offers many job opportunities for electricians.
Jobs are expected to see an increase of 16% until 2024, which makes it a lucrative industry.
If you think this is the right career path for you, read on for more info on the required training.
Article Table of Contents
Become an Apprentice
In Oregon, electrical licenses for journeyman electricians are release by the Building Codes Division.
Contractors have their certifications handled by the Construction Contractors Board.
To be eligible for a journeyman license, you need to complete one from below:
- Finish an apprenticeship course
- Take 576 classes of education and 8,000 hours of job experience in another state
- Have an experience of 16,000 hours in another state
Some other specialized licenses offered in Oregon include:
- Limited Energy Tech (A, B)
- Limited Residential Electrician
- Inside Electrician
- Limited Renewable Energy Electrician
Typically, getting into an apprenticeship program is the easiest way to get licensed.
You can also get your first job faster, as many schools provide job placement options.
|Blue Mountain Community College||2411 NW Carden Ave, Pendleton, OR 97801|
|Chemeketa Community College||4000 Lancaster Dr NE, Salem, OR 97305|
|Clackamas Community College||19600 Molalla Ave, Oregon City, OR 97045|
|Lane Community College||4000 E 30th Ave, Eugene, OR 97405|
|Linn-Benton Community College||6500 Pacific Blvd SW, Albany, OR 97321|
|Mt Hood Community College||26000 SE Stark St, Gresham, OR 97030|
|Portland Community College||12000 SW 49th Avenue, Portland, OR 97219|
|Rogue Community College||3345 Redwood Hwy, Grants Pass, OR 97527|
|Tillamook Bay Community College||4301 Third St., Tillamook, OR 97141|
|Umpqua Community College||1140 Umpqua College Rd., Roseburg, OR 97470|
Become a Journeyman
Upon finishing your training program, you will be able to apply for a license, including one of the following:
- Limited journeyman manufacturing plant (PJ)
- Limited energy technician Class A (LEA)
- Limited energy technician Class B (LEB)
- Limited maintenance electrician (LME)
- Limited residential electrician (LR)
- Limited journeyman sign electrician (SIG)
- Limited journeyman stage electrician (ST)
- Limited building maintenance electrician (BME)
- Limited renewable energy technician (LRT)
- Ltd. maintenance manufactured structures (LMM)
You will also have to take an open book exam and get a 75% score.
The specialized licenses limit your work to those particular scopes.
Become a Supervising Electrician
To get more career opportunities, you can apply for a supervising electrician license.
This certification requires:
- Journeyman experience of 4 years
- Pass the required test
The exam also requires an application form, and the license has to be renewed after 3 years.
Become an Independent Electrical Contractor
If you apply for an electrical contractor license, you will be able to have your own business and hire other electricians.
These licenses are managed by the Construction Contractor’s Board (CCB) in Oregon.
To apply, you will need to meet some criteria:
- Decide what type of projects you will be working on in order to choose a specific license
- Finish the extra training and take the required test
- Register your company name
- Submit liability bond to the CCB
- Send proof of general liability insurance and worker’s compensation
- Submit a residential contractor application, a commercial contractor application, or a dual contractor application
The type of license and the experience of the individual will determine how much they’ll earn.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
These journeyman licenses have to be renewed after a period of 3 years.
The electrical contractor licenses are renewed every 2 years and the process can be done online.