If you are looking for a career change, have you considered becoming a travel agent?
Travel agents have an exciting day-to-day life because they spend all day helping their clients plan, manage, and enjoy their next vacation.
A great travel agent will help their customers go on trips around the world thanks to their industry knowledge and customer service.
You will learn a lot about where you want to take your next trip, too.
No one travels better than travel agents.
Article Table of Contents
Travel Agent Duties in Utah
If you are interested in becoming a travel agent in Utah, you are probably interested in learning what they actually do on a day-to-day basis.
Of course, you know that they help people book their vacations.
There is much more to it than you think though.
Here are some of the tasks you will undertake as a travel agent in Utah:
- Meet – First, you will meet with your clients. During this meeting, get to know your new client. This will help you get a good idea of what the best destination is for them. You do not want to recommend a cruise to people who like to explore and go on day trips, for example.
- Budget – Once you have decided what kind of vacation your customers will be taking, you need to get a good idea of what their budget is. Customers love it when you stay under their budget. Doing so will help you get repeat customers as you gain experience.
- Problem Solve – Your role as a travel agent means you will have the industry knowledge and a working relationship with a variety of travel companies around the world. This means your customers can trust you to help them remedy any issues they may be having while on their trip. Part of your job is going to be problem-solving so make sure you are not scared of a little confrontation.
- Research – You do not want to send your customers on the same trip every time. Make sure you are constantly researching vacation destinations around the globe, so you can find new and exciting places to send your clients. It does not hurt if you take a trip yourself every once in a while.
Licensing Requirements to Become a Travel Agent in Utah
The good news is you can work at a travel agency whenever you are ready to try the industry.
There is no specific state license required to work in the industry.
If you are new and inexperienced, it may be a good idea to get your travel agent certificate.
You do this by taking the travel agent proficiency exam and getting at least a score of 70%.
There are programs that can help you with this.
Travel Agent Programs
If you are interested in taking classes to get ready for the TAP exam, here are some great programs where you can do so:
- The Travel Institute – The travel institute is an online school dedicated to everything in the travel industry, including becoming a travel agent. The program has nine classes that you can work through at your own pace, but the program is designed to take about a year. The total cost for materials and tuition at the Travel Institute is $440. The program will prepare you for the TAP exam.
- Utah Valley University – A good in-state option for those wanting to study for the TAP exam is Utah Valley University, a community college in the state. The school is accredited and the program is online. You can take classes whenever you want and the total cost for the program is $1,950. This is the best option to study to become a travel agent in Utah.
- Penn Foster – The online school, Penn Foster, offers students a chance to study to become a travel agent. The program is online and designed to be completed at your own pace. When you are done, you will have a comprehensive understanding of the travel industry and how it works. The total cost for the courses is $799.
The average salary for a travel agent working full-time in Utah is $33,393 to $42,681.
The more experienced you are, the bigger your customer base will be, so your salary should be at the high end of that range.
The industry is largely based on sales, so you will make more money as you book more travel for people, too.
Remember, this is just a range, so you could make more money if you are good.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Avg. Annual Salary
|Salt Lake City
Regional Salary in Utah
|Avg. Annual Salary
|Avg. Hourly Pay
|Top 10% Annual Salary
|Bottom 10% Annual Salary
|Salt Lake City, UT
* Employment conditions in your area may vary.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to work for a travel agency?
When you are working as a travel agent, you have the option to either work for a travel agency or be a self-employed travel agent.
If you are new, it is recommended that you work for an agency to gain experience.
Do I have to get certified?
You do not have to, but it is a good idea.
This is because certification gives you a headstart on the knowledge you need to be successful.
It is a great way to get a headstart when you do not have any experience yet.
How do I get paid?
You will mostly get paid on a commission basis.
Unlike other industries, the commission does not come from your clients.
You will usually get paid by the cruise lines, resorts, and other travel companies you send your clients to.