If you are looking for a rewarding career change, becoming a travel agent might be the choice for you.
Travel agents face new challenges and learn new things about the world every day as they help their clients plan the vacation of their dreams.
When a client comes to you to help them plan travel, they trust you with each phase of the process.
A travel agent may do more than you think.
Article Table of Contents
- 1 Travel Agent Duties in Connecticut
- 2 Licensing Requirements to Become a Travel Agent in Connecticut
- 3 Travel Agent Programs in Connecticut
- 4 Travel Agent Salary in Connecticut
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
Travel Agent Duties in Connecticut
If you are interested in becoming a travel agent in Connecticut, you probably want to know about the day-to-day duties you will have to undertake.
A lot of people are under the impression that all a travel agent does is book their client’s transportation and the job is done.
This could not be farther from the truth.
Here are some of the things you are responsible for when planning a vacation for a customer:
- Consultation – This is the most important part of the process. During the meeting, you will decide what kind of vacation is best for your client in terms of location and style. You will also determine their budget. From here, you will have everything you need to know to plan the perfect vacation for them. For some people, an all-inclusive cruise is the right trip. Others may benefit from a week at a relaxing resort.
- Support – You will end up working with the same resorts, cruise lines, airlines, and hotels all the time, so you are going to be an asset to your client if they have any issues on their trip. You are who they go to if their flight tickets are incorrect or there is an issue when they are checking in at their hotel. A good travel agent has world-class communication skills and is not afraid to be confrontational if it is needed.
- Marketing – A lot of your salary will depend on the number of sales you can generate for your business. You are going to have to learn how to market yourself. Word-of-mouth is very important in the travel agent industry. It is also important to do a good job every time you work with someone so you can repeat customers.
- Management – Once you are experienced, you may be asked to manage a team of travel agents. It is important to be able to multi-task if you want to be an effective travel agent.
Licensing Requirements to Become a Travel Agent in Connecticut
Connecticut does not require a state license in order to work as a travel agent in the state.
There is a license available for those that wish to obtain it, but you are legally allowed to work without one.
It is a good idea to get it though.
If you do not already have experience, the knowledge you gain during the classwork and demonstrate during the test will go a long way towards jump-starting your career.
To become accredited, you need to get at least a 70% on the Travel Agency Proficiency exam.
Travel Agent Programs in Connecticut
There are a variety of programs available in the United States where you can study to become a travel agent.
It is even possible at ten or so four-year universities around the country to get a bachelor’s degree geared towards becoming a travel agent.
This is not necessary, though.
Here are some other travel agent programs you can take advantage of:
- Middlesex Community College – Middlesex Community College is an in-state option you can use to get ready for the TAP exam. The community college offers one year of coursework that you can do at your own pace. At the end of the coursework, you should be ready to take the TAP exam. The total cost of the program after tuition and fees is $1950.
- The Travel Institute – The Travel Institute is probably the most well-known online travel agent program on the internet now. It is very affordable with a total price of $440. There are nine comprehensive classes during the program that are designed for you to get a perfect score on the certification test.
- Penn Foster – The online school, Penn Foster, offers online coursework as a travel agent program. The program can be done at any pace and the total price with tuition and fees is $799.
Travel Agent Salary in Connecticut
The average annual salary for a travel agent in Connecticut is $38,136 to $48,744.
A lot of what your salary is depends on your experience and location.
As you gain more experience, expect your salary to rise.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
Regional Salary in Connecticut
|Region||Employed||Avg. Annual Salary||Avg. Hourly Pay||Top 10% Annual Salary||Bottom 10% Annual Salary|
|Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT||50||$48,260||$23.2||$62,460||$33,480|
|New Haven, CT||30||$47,320||$22.75||$60,580||$35,620|
* Employment conditions in your area may vary.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do people still use traditional travel agents?
Even with online travel companies, the personal and customizable touch of a traditional travel agent cannot be matched.
This is why they are still popular.
Can I work if I am not certified?
You are allowed to legally work as a travel agent if you are not certified.
Those that are certified have a much easier time getting clients and interfacing with travel companies.
Do I have to work for a travel agency?
When you work as a travel agent, you have the option to either work for a company or as an independent contractor.