Many people are under the impression that becoming a traditional travel agent is not a wise career choice given the invention of online travel companies.
This is not true.
Becoming a travel agent in Maine is still a great job with new and exciting adventures every day.
Plus, you get to help people by helping them plan their dream vacations, trips that they will remember for the rest of their lives.
Article Table of Contents
- 1 Travel Agent Duties in Maine
- 2 Licensing Requirements to Become a Travel Agent in Maine
- 3 Travel Agent Programs in Maine
- 4 Travel Agent Salary in Maine
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
Travel Agent Duties in Maine
When you are someone’s travel agent, they trust you to help them plan their next vacation.
Depending on their needs, they may ask you to plan it down to even the most specific details.
Others may just want you to help them book a package at a resort or a cruise.
It is up to you to help them decide what is best for them.
You will do this during the consultation when they first meet you.
This is when you will learn what their budget is and what they are looking for out of their next vacation.
From here, you can find the perfect location and entertainment and food package for them.
You may even help them plan a vacation they did not know was possible for them.
During the trip, they may need you to interface with their travel companies if there is an issue.
Because of your experience and relationship with resorts, cruise lines, airlines, and rental car companies, you can help them resolve issues much quicker than they would be able to do it themselves.
Your job is not done simply when you book the trip.
You work for your clients from the start of the trip until they get back home.
When your client returns, ask them about their trip and what they liked and disliked.
Doing so will help you have a good idea of what resorts are better than others, so you can make good recommendations in the future.
You may even want to use the recommendations for your own trips.
Licensing Requirements to Become a Travel Agent in Maine
There is no state license required to work as a travel agent in the state of Maine.
The only thing you will need is a certification from the IATA or the International Air Transport Association.
This is obtained after you take the TPA test and get a score of at least 70%.
Some four-year schools have bachelor’s degrees with programs designed for this, but that is not necessary.
Trade schools and other online programs also exist as an expedited way to get the coursework needed to be prepared for the test.
Travel Agent Programs in Maine
- Central Maine Community College – This school in Maine offers students a year-long program with comprehensive coursework geared towards the travel agent field. Once you are done, you are completely prepared for the certification test. The total cost for these online classes is $1,950 and you can work at your own pace.
- The Travel Institute – That Travel Institute is a popular online provider of travel agent training. The online program is designed for you to work at your own pace and has a myriad of courses in the travel field. The cost is very affordable at $440 for the entire program, which is designed to be completed in 12 months.
- The Travel Academy – The Travel Academy offers courses designed for the travel and tourism fields. The two jobs they focus on are flight attendants and travel agents. The course is designed to be completed in just a few weeks, so it is not as comprehensive. Tuition for the program is around 6,000 but could be higher if you want to live on-campus.
Travel Agent Salary in Maine
If you want to work as a full-time travel agent in Maine, you can expect to make an average salary of $33,977 to $43,428.
The salary ranges depending on your skill and experience.
As your career progresses, you can expect to make more.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you work as a travel agent without certification?
You can still be employed as a travel agent without certification, but you will not have proven you have a comprehensive knowledge of the industry.
Clients may be hesitant to work with you if you are not certified.
Of course, nothing will beat the experience you gain on the job either.
It is not required that you get certification by taking the Travel Agency Proficiency test, but it is highly recommended.
What is the best way to advance a career as a travel agent?
The best way to advance your career as a travel agent once you are hired is through experience.
Each client you help will likely use you again and is also likely to recommend you to their friends for their vacations.
As you gain experience, you build a customer base that will support your career.
Why do people use travel agents?
Online travel booking companies are popular, but people still choose to use travel agents.
This is because of the convenience and personal touch a human travel agent provides to clients that an algorithm simply cannot copy.