If you live in Kansas and are looking for a new career, consider becoming a travel agent.
Travel agents are responsible for helping individuals choose and plan their vacations.
You will help people shape some of the most important memories of their lives with their families and friends.
The profession has changed in recent years, so the industry needs modern people like you to carry it into the future.
Keep reading if you are interested in learning how to become a travel agent in Kansas.
Article Table of Contents
- 1 Travel Agent Duties in Kansas
- 2 Licensing Requirements to Become a Travel Agent in Kansas
- 3 Travel Agent Programs in Kansas
- 4 Salary
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
Travel Agent Duties in Kansas
A travel agent has a variety of duties that start from the moment you contact them and end when your trip is over.
Your job is to focus on the minute details of your client’s trip, so they can just relax and have fun on vacation.
Here are some of the steps you will take:
- Consultation – The first thing you will do is meet with your clients. This will help you get an idea of what they are looking for during their vacation, helping you get an idea of what the perfect location is for them. Do not forget to consider the weather in the area during the time of year they are traveling.
- Interfacing – The travel agent then interfaces with each company used during the trip, including the airlines, the hotels, cruise lines, and rental companies. These companies can be hard to communicate with and a good travel agent knows the ins and outs of the industry.
- Budget – One of your focuses while planning someone’s trip is to plan the most exciting vacation possible while still staying within the boundaries of the budget they set forth during the consultation.
Licensing Requirements to Become a Travel Agent in Kansas
If you are considering becoming a travel agent in Kansas, you will first need to get a license.
There are some licensing requirements in the state of Kansas you will need to meet before you can do so.
First, you will need to take a travel agent course to familiarize yourself with the industry standards and practices.
These courses are offered nationally and can be taken online.
Once you finish the course, you will be able to get certification from the American Society of Travel Agents.
There are a few other organizations where you can get this certificate as well – the International Airline Transport Association and The Travel Institute.
There are three levels of certification – certified travel associate, certified travel counselor, and certified travel industry executive.
Your title is mostly dependent on the amount of experience you have in the industry.
Travel Agent Programs in Kansas
There are a few colleges around the United States that offer four-year programs where you can obtain a bachelor’s degree focused on becoming a travel agent.
If you would like, you can also get a two or four-year degree in tourism or hospitality as the basis for your travel career.
On top of that, there is a list of travel agent programs in Kansas you can take advantage of to jumpstart your career and get your certificate.
The best part is you can do it completely online through the following programs:
- The Travel Institute – Once you enroll in the Travel Institute’s CTA program online, you will have 12 months to complete it. The total cost for the online program, including class materials is $450. At the end of the program, you will take the TPA exam. A 70% is required for a passing grade.
- Kansas City Kansas Community College – This community college in Kansas City offers an online course geared towards preparing you for the TPA test. The program has a variety of classes geared towards the travel industry and the total cost is $1,995.
- A Travel Agency – Check with the travel agency you are interested in working for. Many of them offer an in-house training program designed to get you ready for the certification test. They are generally offered online at no charge to you as long as you agree to work for that travel agency once you are certified.
In Kansas, the average travel agent earns a salary of $35,245 to $45.050 annually.
This varies based on the industry demand and what part of the state you live in.
Experience is also a huge determining factor when it comes to a travel agent’s annual salary.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to have a four-year degree to become a travel agent?
The only requirement is that you complete a certification program and pass the TPA exam with a score of at least 70% in the state of Kansas.
No four-year degree is necessary.
Is a license necessary to sell travel in Kansas?
The only requirement in order to sell travel in the state of Kansas is certification.
No licensing beyond that is required.
Do travel agents ever specialize in certain areas?
In order to better serve your customers while helping them design a vacation, you may have a passion for a certain part of the world and want to specialize in that area.