What does a travel agent really do?
Agencies, involving travel, provide people with assistance finding airlines, hotels, car rentals, travel insurance, and package tours.
Travel agencies hire a travel agent to handle all the fine details involving travel.
The travel agent works diligently alongside the travelers to handle all their travel plans.
This includes arranging flights, handling all logistics regarding luggage, setting up a car rental service, and booking the hotel.
Article Table of Contents
- 1 The Duties of A Travel Agent
- 2 Requirements to Becoming a Travel Agent
- 3 Some Easy Programs Travel Agents Use
- 4 How Much a Travel Agent Makes in New York
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
The Duties of A Travel Agent
Some of the duties of a New York travel agent are to troubleshoot travel issues and address any concerns of the client.
The travel agent also processes deposit and payment requests for the client’s travel plans.
Requirements to Becoming a Travel Agent
In the United States, there is not much in regards to a licensing requirement or the process for getting licensed.
You will be happy to know there is no travel agency test required.
The only training or other qualifications needed are at the discretion of the agency that hires you.
To become a travel agent it is only required that you complete one easy application, and pay a minimal fee.
It is really that simple.
Once you do that, you are qualified to start selling travel anywhere within the United States!
Some Easy Programs Travel Agents Use
Travel agents use a number of programs and software in order to do their job efficiently.
Below are some of the common software and programs agents use:
- TravelWorks – This is a cloud-based accounting and management system that was designed by PC Voyages. It was created for travel agencies of various sizes to use.
- Lemax – This is a type of travel software that is web-based, and used by tour operators and destination management.
- TravefyAgent – This software program aids travel agents in creating attractive itineraries and proposals for clients.
- ResVoyage – This software program enables the agent to set and configure their business efficiently.
- Ezus – This is a software program utilized by travel agencies. It provides all-in-one software to generate documents, manage budgets, and catalog information.
- TravelPerk – This is a platform providing an all-in-one way to book hotels, corporate flights, trains, and rental cars.
- Avochato – This is an SMS platform. This program helps travel agents know their text messages are read within 10 minutes of it being opened.
- TrekkSoft – This program is used by tour and booking companies. It enables travel agencies to connect to the appropriate online or offline sales channels.
How Much a Travel Agent Makes in New York
In the New York City area, a travel agent averages $38,888 annually.
Besides the salary, you can also anticipate cash compensation of an average of $11,092 a year.
This compensation ranges from anywhere between $2,284 to $53,859.
Below is a listing of various jobs within the travel industry and the average salary:
- A Corporate Travel Agent makes an average of $52,954 annually.
- Travel agents in tourism make $65,895 a year.
- A Travel Coordinator can make about $45,246 per year.
- A customer service representative makes $41,379 annually.
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a travel agent job worth the hard work?
One of the most revered and common jobs in the travel industry is that of the travel agent.
If you love traveling and helping others fulfill their dreams of traveling, becoming a travel agent is ideal.
Being a travel agent will provide you with the flexibility you need while allowing you to be financially stable.
Do travel agents spend a lot of time traveling?
Travel agents do travel for excitement and leisure.
However, many do so in order to inspect the hotel sites, and complete other tasks related to the job.
Regardless of why you are traveling as an agent, it is not going to be free.
However, you can expect some perks as an agent, like discounts and other returns from client business.
How are travel agents paid?
Travel agents make the most of their money through commissions.
A large percentage of pay comes from commissions from your clients when they buy from someone you refer them to.
Is it a stressful job being a travel agent?
Yes, a travel agent job is a stressful occupation.
As an agent, you are required to stay up-to-date on all the latest developing travel information.
If you are a freelance agent, you can experience tough times if customers are scarce.
As an agent, you need to learn how to market yourself via websites, networking, and travel consortiums.
Do travel agents get free vacations?
To be truthful, travel agents do not get to travel free in most cases.
However, an agent may get a discount or retain a commission earned in order to accommodate travel plans.
Often, experienced agents learn how to plan cheaper trips and go on working vacations.