In Oklahoma, there are many job prospects for physical therapy assistants.
If you are interested in building a career in the field, read on for more info.
Earning Your License as a Physical Therapist Assistant in Oklahoma
In this state, you first need to get a certification for which you also have to get trained.
The easiest way to receive the training you need is to attend a program in your region.
In Oklahoma, you can find physical therapy assistant programs in:
- Oklahoma City
You can opt to pursue a Physical Therapist Assistant Associate of Applied Science (AAS) or Associate of Science (AS) degree.
The program you enroll in has to be accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) and by the Oklahoma Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision.
Training involves a number of theory hours, but also practice.
In most cases, the practice is completed in a health center or clinic.
The facilities usually require you to pass a background check first.
You will also be supervised by a licensed physical therapy assistant while you practice.
Some clinics also require students to have CPR training.
There are many clinics you can train at, including;
- Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital – Bethany
- INTEGRIS Jim Thorpe Rehabilitation Center – Oklahoma City
- Physical Rehabilitation Center of Tulsa – Tulsa
- John Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation – Tulsa
- Anthony’s Rehabilitation Center – Oklahoma City
- Hillcrest Hospital Claremore – Claremore
The theory hours include topics such as:
- Human Anatomy
- Physical Disabilities
- Introduction to Physical Therapy
- Human Physiology
- Physical Therapy Procedures I and II
- Neurology and Pathology
- Therapeutic Exercise I and II
- Medical Office Management
- Psychosocial Aspects of Physical Therapy
After you get your degree, you also have to pass an exam and provide some documents.
The test you need to take is the National Physical Therapy Exam (NPTE) for PTAs, provided by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT)
To take it, you have to provide a $400 fee, as well as the following documents:
- $135 application fee
- Activities statement form
- Verification of licensure form (if necessary)
- Certificate of professional education form
- Temporary licensure agreement to supervise form
- Authorization for release of medical records
- Jurisprudence examination
- Official transcripts
- Original 3×5 photograph
The papers need to be mailed to the Oklahoma State Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision found in Oklahoma City.
In this state, you can apply for licensing even if you are in the last semester of your program.
The National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) for PTAs features the following topics:
- Physical Therapy Data Collection
- Diseases and Conditions
- Equipment and Devices
- Therapeutic Modalities
- Safety and Protection
- Metabolic & Endocrine Systems
- Gastrointestinal System
- Genitourinary System
- Musculoskeletal System
- Neuromuscular & Nervous Systems
This test has 200 questions for which you can study using the candidate handbook provided by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT).
Before the exam, you need to pay a $70 fee to Prometric.
Physical Therapist Assistant Employment and Salary Information in Oklahoma
Getting a license will allow you to work in a medical facility of your choice.
This can be a clinic, hospital, or a health center.
If you don’t want to be employed, you can also become an independent physical therapy assistant.
Some of the facilities hiring PTAs in Oklahoma include:
- Connect Health Professionals – Shawnee
- Brookhaven Hospital – Tulsa
- Centra Healthcare Solutions – McAlester, Ponca City
- Brookdale – Oklahoma City
- HCR ManorCare – Norman
- Reliant Rehabilitation – Oklahoma City
- Valir Health Care – Oklahoma City
- Norman Specialty Hospital – Norman
- Carter Healthcare – Shawnee
- Select Specialty Hospital – Tulsa
- Supplemental Health Care – Oklahoma City
Typically, salaries in this state are higher compared to other states.
This is especially true after you get some work experience.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
Physical Therapist Assistant License Renewal Information in Oklahoma
In Oklahoma, you will need to renew your license so you can keep working.
Physical therapy licenses in this state need to be renewed on the last day of January.
In order to get it renewed, you also have to pay a $60 fee.
You will also have to take 30 additional classes of education to get your license renewed.
These hours should be completed in a facility accredited by the board, such as:
- APTA Guide for Professional Conduct
- APTA Code of Ethics