There are many career opportunities in the healthcare field.
One of those career options includes a medical assistant.
Medical assistants work in the front office and the clinical offices to make sure that things go smoothly between the patients and the physicians and other healthcare workers.
Medical assistants have training and education in the various skills and knowledge needed to work in healthcare in both the administrative setting and the clinical setting.
Below we will discuss some of the medical assisting schools available in the Lafayette, Louisiana area.
Acadiana Area Career College
About the school
Acadiana Area Career College is a school that offers education and training in the healthcare field.
There are five programs offered at Acadiana Area Career College.
These programs include dental assistant, medical office assistant, phlebotomy technician, EKG technician, and medical insurance and coding specialist.
At Acadiana Area Career College, the medical office assistant program takes about eight weeks to complete.
The tuition for this program is approximately $2,875 for 176 hours of coursework.
Some of the things this program teaches include:
- Medical Terminology
- Medical Records
- Front office procedures
- Accounts payable and receivable
- Computer literacy
- Office Safety
- Insurance coding
Address: 505 Loire Avenue, Suite E, Lafayette, LA, 70507
Delta College of Arts and Technology
About the school
Delta College is home to four campuses, which are located in Baton Rouge, Covington, Slidell, and Lafayette.
Four programs are offered at Delt College, including dental assistant, medical assistant, medical office and health information technician, and practical nurse.
Each of the instructors at Delta College has four years or more of work experience in the subject areas they teach, meaning they have real-world knowledge and skills to pass on to their students.
Students interested in the medical assistant program at Delta College can complete their training program in 7.5 months.
Below are some of the things students learn in the medical assistant program:
- Phlebotomy techniques
- EKG procedures
- Specimen collection
- Infection control
- Safety measures
- Vital signs
- How to assist with physical exams and minor office surgery
- Medical bookkeeping
- Medical insurance billing and coding
- Medical records
- Medical office software
- Medical office ethics
- How to calculate dosage
Address: 200 Republic Ave, Lafayette, LA, 70508
South Louisiana Community College
About the school
South Louisiana Community College was first started in 1997 in the Acadiana Region as a two-year school.
Around 1999, courses and programs were offered in the Lafayette and Franklin areas.
Currently, there are more than 50 programs offered at South Louisiana Community College.
Options include associate degrees, technical diplomas, and certificates.
There is a large variety of programs offered at the Lafayette location including:
- General Studies
- Emergency Medical Technology. – Paramedic
- Medical Billing and Coding
- Manufacturing Technology
- Nurse Assistant
- Industrial Electronics Technology
- Automotive Technology
- Application Software Development
- and much more
The medical assistant program at South Louisiana Community College has three different degree plan options.
Students can choose from the following:
- Certificate of Technical Studies in Medical Assistant
- Technical Diploma in Medical Assistant
- Associate of Applied Science in Medical Assistant
After completing the medical assistant program of their choice, students are eligible to complete the National Certification exam for Medical Assistants.
Before students can register for any of the medical assistant programs, they must complete the following requirements:
- Submit a Physical exam report to show that they are physically and emotionally fit to handle the responsibilities of the program
- Provide a TB skin test or chest x-ray that is less than a year old
- Show proof of up-to-date immunizations
- Pass a background check
- Have a CPR card for Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers
- Own class and clinical uniforms and supplies required by the instructor
- Adhere to HIPAA and other confidentiality rules
- Have transportation to clinical sites, training, and extra-curricular activities
Address: 1101 Bertrand Drive, Lafayette, LA, 70506
Blue Cliff College
About the school
Blue Cliff College is a school that teaches students in the fields of healthcare and beauty.
Some of the programs that Blue Cliff College offers include the following:
- Clinical Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
- Massage Therapy
- Healthcare information, Billing, and Coding
- Licensed Practical Nursing
- Medical Office Administration
Blue Cliff College offers class opportunities to suit many different student needs, including day, evening, and online classes.
This school has locations in Louisiana, Mississippi, and online.
Blue Cliff College has a clinical medical assistant training program available in Lafayette, Louisiana.
In this program, students learn how to:
- Perform basic lab tests
- Record the history and personal information of patients
- Measure vital signs
- Assist physicians with examinations
- Administer medications and injections as directed by physicians
- Prepare blood samples
- Enter patient information into medical records
- Instruct patients about special diets or medications
- Change dressings
- Prepare patients for X-rays
The courses that students are required to complete include:
- Introduction to Healthcare Workplace
- Medical Terminology 1
- Introduction to Clinical Procedures
- Anatomy and Physiology 1
- Computer Fundamentals
- Medical Office Procedures 1
- CPR / First Aid
- Medical Techniques and Procedures 1
- Medical Coding and Insurance
- Anatomy and Physiology 2
- Phlebotomy / Laboratory Procedures 1
- Pharmacology for the Medical Assistant
- Medical Techniques and Procedures 2
- Phlebotomy / Laboratory 2
- Professional Development
- Medical Assisting Externship
Address: 120 James Comeaux Road, Lafayette, LA, 70508
Read the full guide: How to Become a Medical Assistant