Before we dig into what schools have medical assisting programs in Baton Rouge, LA, we need to know what a medical assistant does.
A medical assistant has many roles in the healthcare field.
Medical assistants do administrative work in the front office, such as setting up appointments, filling out insurance forms, and calling in prescriptions to the pharmacy.
A medical assistant also works in the back offices of the healthcare setting doing clinical roles, such as drawing blood, giving vaccines, and checking vitals.
What schools in the Baton Rouge area offer programs for medical assistants?
1 Fortis College
About the School
Fortis College offers educational opportunities in 29 campuses across 14 different states.
Some of the training programs that Fortis offers include nursing, dental, healthcare/medical, medical technologies, commercial driving, skilled trades, and beauty and wellness.
The programs that are offered depend on the location of the campus.
Fortis College offers both online and on-campus learning opportunities to meet the needs of a diverse population of students.
The medical assistant program at Fortis College in Baton Rouge, Louisiana prepares students for the following roles:
- Working with patients to provide a safe, caring, and stress-free environment
- Keeping medical offices and clinics running smoothly by performing administrative tasks
- Adapting to a changing environment due to the versatile role of a medical assistant
Address: 14111 Airline Highway, Baton Rouge, LA, 70817
2 Baton Rouge Community College
About the School
Baton Rouge Community College opened its doors in 1998 with a total of 1,866 enrollees waiting to start their educations.
Currently, student enrollment has reached over 8,000 students per year and counting.
Baton Rouge Community College is one of 12 different schools in the Louisiana Community and Technical College System.
This school offers a variety of programs in the following fields:
- Allied Health
- Construction Management
- Liberal Arts
- General Studies
The medical assistant program is a certificate of technical studies program and takes approximately two semesters to complete.
The courses offered in the program include:
- MAST 1171 Medical Terminology for Medical Assistants
- MAST 1152 Human Body for Medical Assistants
- MAST 1162 Professionalism in Healthcare
- MAST 1142 Pharmacology for Medical Assistants
- MAST 1014 Phlebotomy
- MAST 1221 Clinical Procedures I
- CSCI 1013 Introduction to Computer Technology
- MAST 1102 Information Management for Medical Assistants
- MAST 1113 Medical Coding I
- MAST 1214 Administrative Procedures
- MAST 2132 Clinical Procedures II
- MAST 1114 Electrocardiography
- MAST 2222 Medical Assistant Externship
- MAST 1123 Medical Coding II
- MAST 1224 Medical Insurance and Billing
Address: 201 Community College Drive, Baton Rouge, LA, 70806
3 Remington College
About the School
Remington College has locations in several states, including Alabama, Louisiana, Ohio, Tennessee, and Texas.
The Baton Rouge campus opened its doors in 1998 with the main goal of providing adequate training and education that can help students succeed in their careers.
Remington College offers three programs:
- Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning
- Medical Assisting
- Process Technology
Remington College in the Baton Rouge location offers a medical assistant program that takes about 9 months to complete.
Let’s break it up into clock hours and credit hours.
The program is equal to approximately 375 lecture hours, 225 lab hours, and 160 externship hours.
The program adds up to about 43 credit hours.
The required courses for the medical assistant program include the following:
- Introduction to Healthcare Services
- Health Science Procedures
- Anatomy and Physiology with Terminology A
- Anatomy and Physiology with Terminology B
- Clinical Procedures A
- Clinical Procedures B
- Insurance Applications, Billing, Coding
- Capstone and Certification
- Clinical Experience
Address: 4520 S Sherwood Forest Blvd, Baton Rouge, LA, 70816
4 Unitech Training Academy
About the School
In 1997, Unitech Training Academy was granted a license by the Louisiana State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education to become a fully operational school.
This school started out with just a single program, the Certified Nursing Assistant Program.
Over the past two decades, it has grown to include various programs to suit the educational needs of the community.
Unitech Training Academy has a total of six campuses, including, Alexandria, Baton Rouge, Houma, Lafayette, New Orleans, and West Monroe.
Some of the programs that are now available include:
- Dental Assisting
- Early Childhood Ancillary Certificate
- EKG/Phlebotomy Technician
- Massage Therapy
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Billing and Coding
- Pharmacy Technician
- IT Support Specialist
- Computer Information Systems
- Microsoft 365
- Network Security
- Computer Networking
- Microsoft Azure
The medical assistant program takes around nine months and is offered as a hybrid program for added flexibility.
A hybrid program means that the classwork is completed both online and on campus.
Students learn the necessary skills needed to keep things flowing smoothly between practitioners, physicians, and patients in a healthcare setting.
Address: 10551 Coursey Blvd, Baton Rouge, LA, 70816
5 Camelot College
About the School
Camelot College was founded in 1986 by Ronnie L. Williams.
The school was a product of his desire to provide career skill training and education to unemployed people in the medical and business industries.
The courses and programs available at Camelot College include:
- Administrative Medical Assistant
- Basic Infection Control for Healthcare Professionals
- Basic Mental Health Tech and Crisis Intervention
- Advanced Medical Assistant
There are two medical assistant programs offered at Camelot College.
These include Administrative Medical Assistant and Advanced Medical Assistant.
The administrative medical assistant program is designed to provide a deeper understanding and basic knowledge of the skills a person needs to work in a front office management position.
The advanced medical assistant program provides students with experience in a medical environment.
Students learn all the required skills to help physicians with medical procedures, deal with medical records, and attend to clerical duties in the clinical setting.
Address: 2722 Wooddale Blvd, Ste A, Baton, LA, 70805
Schools Summary Table
|#2||Baton Rouge Community College|
|#4||Unitech Training Academy|