Back in 2011, dental assistants were some of the most “in-demand professionals” according to the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development.
To work as a dental assistant, a person needs a license from the New Jersey State Board of Dentistry who regulates dentistry and its related professions.
Article Table of Contents
Dental Assistant Schools
To get a license, the individual needs to complete a training program that was recognized by the Commission on Dental Assisting Accreditation (CODA), which recognizes all such programs across the nation.
These programs are generally certification courses that last almost 1 year, and they include both the theory and practice hours needed for an entry-level professional.
The curriculum of such a program includes:
- Chair-side assistance
- Handling dental emergencies
- Identifying structures of the oral cavity
- Preventative dentistry
Dental assistants may pursue an associate’s degree in dental hygiene which allows them to perform certain tasks without being supervised by a dentist.
These assistants can also pursue an associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree in medical administration or even business administration, allowing them to occupy a supervisory position in the dental office.
|Advantage Career Institute Medical & Dental School||2 Meridian Rd, Eatontown, NJ 07724,|
|American Institute||346 Lexington Avenue Clifton, NJ 07011|
|American Institute||80 Cottontail Lane, Suite 103 Somerset, NJ 08873|
|American Institute||2363 Lakewood Road Toms River, NJ 08755|
|Camden County College||200 College Drive, Blackwood, New Jersey 08012|
|Central Career School of New Jersey||126 Corporate Blvd, South Plainfield, NJ 07080|
|Fortis Institute||201 Willowbrook Blvd, Wayne, NJ 07470|
|Fortis Institute||2572 Brunswick Pike, Suite 100, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648|
|Ocean County Vocational-Technical School||137 Bey Lea Rd, Toms River, New Jersey 08753-2703|
|Raritan Valley Community College||118 Lamington Road, Branchburg, New Jersey 08876|
|Destiney Dental Assisting Program||9 Furler St. Totowa, NJ 07512|
|GS Dental Academy||420 Morris Ave, Springfield, NJ 0708|
|Quality Dental School of Technology, Inc.||134 Evergreen Place , Suite - 601 East Orange, New Jersey 07017|
|OceanPointe Dental Academy Elizabeth, NJ Campus||324 Morris Ave Elizabeth, NJ 07208|
|True Dental Assistant School||255 Brunswick St Suite 6 Jersey City, NJ 07302|
|DENTAL STUDIES INSTITUTE||7 Spielman Road • Fairfield, NJ 07004|
|Institute of Advanced Dental Education||317 Route 34, Suite 205 Colts Neck , NJ 07722|
|Lincoln Tech in Iselin, NJ||675 U.S. 1 South 2nd Floor Iselin, NJ 08830|
|Branford Institute ELIZABETH CAMPUS||333 North Broad Street, Elizabeth NJ 07208.|
|Branford Institute PATERSON CAMPUS||302 Main Street Paterson NJ 07505.|
Becoming a Registered Dental Assistant in New Jersey
Those who want to become a registered dental assistant in New Jersey need to pass the Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) examination or the Certified Orthodontic Assistant (COA).
They also need to meet at least one of the following requirement:
- complete an accredited educational dental assisting program within the last 10 years;
- have at least 2 years of work experience as a dental assistant within the last 5 years, complete a program approved by the Board and pass an exam;
- have 2 years of work experience in the field, in the last 5 years, and pass the New Jersey Expanded Functions exam
Additionally, candidates need to fill out an application and to:
- Pass the New Jersey jurisprudence examination
- Pass a Criminal History Background Check.
- Include the application fee of $35, payable to the State of New Jersey
- Include one passport-size photograph
All the documents must be signed and sealed by a public notary and mailed to:
New Jersey Board of Dentistry
P.O. Box 45005
124 Halsey Street
Newark, NJ 07101
Taking the Exams
Depending on the desired career path, there are several examinations available for dental assistants.
DANB Certification Exam
Individuals who completed the dental assistant program accredited by CODA need to pass one of these exams if they want a New Jersey license.
1.The Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) exam that has 3 separate tests:
- General Chairside Assisting
- Infection Control
- Radiation Health and Safety
2. The Certified Orthodontic Assistant (COA) exam that has two separate tests:
- Orthodontic Assisting
- Infection Control
Both these credentials must be renewed annually, after completing at least 30 continuing education credits.
New Jersey Expanded Functions Exam
Some dental assistants qualify for registration through experience.
These candidates must pass the New Jersey Expanded Functions exam administered by DANB.
This exam covers these skills:
- Isolating the operative field
- Operating matrices and wedges
- Taking impressions
- Placing temporary restoration
- Preparing coronal surfaces for bonding and restoration
- Removing excess cement
- Removing sutures
- Fabricating and cementing temporary crowns and bridges
- Etching in preparation for sealants and bonding
- Performing hand removal of crowns and bridges
- Placing amalgam, composite, or gold foil in a tooth
- Placing and removing retraction cords
- Placing and removing periodontal dressings
- Application of fluoride, pit and fissure sealants and other topical agents
Becoming an X-Ray Equipment Operator
Those operating the X-ray equipment need a license issued by the New Jersey Radiologic Technology Board of Examiners
This certification shows the holder can legally operate dental X-ray machines and perform various related operations.
To get the DRT license in New Jersey, candidates must:
- Pass the DANB Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) exam; OR
- Have a current CDA credential and complete a Board-approved dental radiography course; AND
- Graduate a New Jersey State-approved dental radiography course or its equivalent
The candidates need to send their licensure applications to the State of New Jersey Bureau of X-Ray Compliance.
It’s clear that there are several career paths a dental assistant can choose, which will impact their income, along with the time they spend in the field.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|