In South Carolina, you can work as a dental assistant without a license, however, you will need one if you to want to work with radiography or monitor nitrous oxide.
Additionally, if you get a certification you will also be able to advance in your career and receive a higher salary.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
|Hilton Head Island||$35,015|
To work as a dental assistant in South Carolina, you have to be at least 18 years old and match the below criteria:
- Having worked before in a dental office
- An up to date CPR certification
- Having finished a dental assistant program
There are certain job duties you will need supervision for, and these are:
Earn your accredited, affordable Dental Assistant career diploma online with Penn Foster in as little as 4 months!
- Administering drugs
- Keeping track of specific dental procedures
- Put in and take out the matrix, periodontal packs, orthodontic ligatures, and rubber dams
- Checking vitals
- Taking out sutures
As an Expanded Duty Dental Assistant, you will not need supervision for the following:
- Put in and remove socket dressing, gingival retraction cord, and temporary restorations
- Recording study models
- Placing temporary bridges or crowns
- Apply fissure and pit sealant
- Polishing restorations and supra-gingival tooth structure
How to become a dental assistant
You will either need to finish a program approved by the American Dental Association or, have a 2-year experience as a chairside dental assistant.
If you choose an academic program, you need to work with radiography, and you will also become allowed to work with monitor nitrous oxide.
The programs include courses like:
- Clinical assisting
- Receiving and preparing patients for treatment
- Oral medicine and oral biology
- Assisting treatment
- Radiology and x-rays
- Tooth morphology and histology
- Pouring and trimming impressions
- Construction of temporary crowns
- Dental office management skills
- Patient records and appointment booking
For this certification, you need a course in radiation safety that is approved by the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control.
There are 4 ways to complete such a course, such as:
- Getting a diploma from an accredited program
- Getting a certification such as the Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) Certification or Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) Certification
- For the latter, you will need an approved CPR certification and a diploma from a dental assistant program.
- You can also choose a high school diploma and 3.500 hours of experience, or having finished a dental school in another country.
- A Certificate in Radiation Safety provided by the South Carolina Dental Association,
- Getting a certification from a trade school are the other ways to get a radiation safety diploma.
Nitrous Oxide Monitoring Certificate
To get a Nitrous Oxide Monitoring Certificate, you will need:
- An Application for Certification in Nitrous Oxide Monitoring approved by the South Carolina Board of Dentistry.
- You can also finish a nitrous oxide monitoring course in another country.
|Aiken Technical College||2276 Jefferson Davis Highway, Graniteville, South Carolina 29829|
|Greenville Technical College||738 S Pleasantburg Dr, Greenville, South Carolina 29607-2418|
|Horry-Georgetown Technical College||2050 Highway 501 East, Conway, South Carolina 29526|
|Medix School-Fortis College||246 Stoneridge Dr Ste 101, Columbia, South Carolina 29210|
|Midlands Technical College||1260 Lexington Drive, West Columbia, South Carolina 29170-2176|
|Spartanburg Community College||107 Community College Drive, Spartanburg, South Carolina 29303|
|Tri-County Technical College||7900 U.S. Hwy 76, Pendleton, South Carolina 29670|
|York Technical College||452 S Anderson Rd, Rock Hill, South Carolina 29730|
Along with this, you will pay a $25 application fee and a $10 certification fee.
You have to provide proof of working as an Expanded Duty Dental Assistant, and a current CPR certification from the American Red Cross, American Heart Association or the Health and Safety Institute.
Candidates will have to take a State Board Nitrous Oxide Monitoring Exam before receiving their certification.