Everyone sees a house as a safe place.
However, a house must be lived in to become a home.
Most houses are inspected during their construction or when major renovations are needed.
A home inspector is also needed when homeowners want to sell their property.
There aren’t many requirements to becoming a home inspector in West Virginia, so if you want to become one, you have come to the right page.
Article Table of Contents
- 1 Home Inspector Job Description in West Virginia
- 2 Complete Your Home Inspector Training in West Virginia
- 3 Pass the Licensing Exam as a Home Inspector in West Virginia
- 4 Insurance as a Home Inspector in West Virginia
- 5 Home Inspector Salary in West Virginia
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions
Home Inspector Job Description in West Virginia
The first thing to know about a home inspection is that it’s meant to detect any problems the house might have.
It’s not the same thing as a home appraisal which is meant to find the value of the house based on several factors.
A home inspector will check:
- The cooling and heating systems
- The plumbing
- The electrical work of the site
- The roof
- The foundation of the house
- For any damage done by fire, water, insects, or other elements
At the end of the inspection, the inspector must write a detailed report related to his findings.
This report can greatly influence the house appraisal and the likelihood of it selling fast or not.
Depending on the age of the house or building, a specialized home inspection might be needed.
This includes checking for:
- Other pests
- Mold and mildew
- Other elements
This specialized inspection involves additional fees.
While there are no special prerequisites to becoming a home inspector, this professional must hold a license.
Complete Your Home Inspector Training in West Virginia
The WV Office of State Fire Marshal manages home inspectors.
This Office requires candidates to complete an 80-hour training course for home inspection.
Let’s see which institutions are the best choices for this class.!
ICA stands for Inspection Certification Associates.
This institution offers an online class for those who want to become home inspectors.
The fee for this course is $1,495 and it comes with many perks.
These perks include:
- The Free Report Writing Software which usually costs $399
- Free Membership with InterNACHI for one month
- Free one-year access to Edcetera Home Inspection, which normally costs $99
- The possibility of completing the course in a week
- A certificate and a certification number
- Mold and radon training courses – valued at $200
This is a well-known college for those who want to become home inspectors.
The college offers the training course for free to those who are members of the association.
The class is also available online, making it easily accessible to everyone.
This organization also offers many perks to its members, including support for marketing and business development.
Home Inspector Training Institute
This institution offers a state-approved course for future home inspectors.
Its duration is 8 days.
The tuition covers:
- The course itself
- Free Inspection Checklists
- Free Business Forms
- Exclusive Memberships
- Over 500 Exam Study Questions
- Student for Life program
- Product Discounts
Speaking of tuition, there are 4 plans you can choose from:
- Standard enrollment – $2,095
- Deluxe enrollment – $2,595
- Premium enrollment – $3,595
- One-on-One enrollment – $2,595
Each package comes with discounts when the tuition is paid in full, as well as a few specific perks.
|Inspection Certification Associates||online|
|Home Inspector Training Institute||808 B Street, Suite E-E St. Albans, WV 25177|
Pass the Licensing Exam as a Home Inspector in West Virginia
It’s important to know that there’s no state-specific exam to become a licensed home inspector in West Virginia.
Instead, the exam you must pass the exam offered at the national level, NHIE.
The best part is that you can take the exam online.
However, there are a few requirements to meet before sitting for the test.
You first have to complete your education as described above.
The National Home Inspector Exam (NHIE) has 200 questions, but 25 of them are not scored and its duration is 4 hours.
It covers these topics:
- Property and Building Inspection/Site Review
- Analysis of Findings and Reporting
- Professional Responsibilities
The fee associated with this exam is about $225, as it varies based on your location.
Candidates who don’t pass have to wait 30 days before another attempt.
Insurance as a Home Inspector in West Virginia
Home inspectors are expected to have insurance as well while they profess.
As a matter of fact, there are more types of insurance needed.
Some policies are more popular than others.
In West Virginia, home inspectors usually get these policies:
- Errors and omissions insurance policy with at least $250,000 in coverage
- Liability insurance policy
After completing all these steps, you can submit your license application along with the $300 associated fee.
The application has to be notarized.
Both of these can be submitted online.
Home Inspector Salary in West Virginia
If you train for a job and have to pass an exam or two for it, it’s normal to know your potential earnings once you start working.
In West Virginia, the median salary for a home inspector is about $49,620 yearly.
Check out the table below for more info.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
Regional Salary in West Virginia
|Region||Employed||Avg. Annual Salary||Avg. Hourly Pay||Top 10% Annual Salary||Bottom 10% Annual Salary|
* Employment conditions in your area may vary.
Frequently Asked Questions
What other requirements are there to become a home inspector in West Virginia?
The minimum requirements to become a home inspector in this state are:
- Minimum age of 18
- High school diploma or GED
- An insurance policy
- Passing a background check based on fingerprints
- A legal US resident
Can I work as a freelance home inspector in West Virginia?
The short answer is yes.
You can work on your own, open your own home inspection firm either as a sole proprietor or LLC, or become an employee of an already established firm.
What skills are needed for a home inspector in West Virginia?
Here are the most useful skills for this occupation:
- Interpersonal Skills
- A Working Knowledge of Construction
- Attention to details