Almost 10 million Americans live and work abroad all over the world.
It means that there are lots of overseas well-paid jobs but it can still be hard to find a career abroad if you have no experience.
Those who have only a college degree will hardly be able to find numerous job offers.
However, even people with no degree can find some good job offers overseas.
If you want to find some great options, you should make proper research and look for various available options, learn the requirements as well as their advantages and disadvantages.
It is your only option to avoid scams and find a good job.
In this article, you can find a detailed guide on overseas careers for those who have no experience or qualification.
Also, you’ll be able to learn how to plan your stay abroad properly.
Article Table of Contents
- 1 Is It Possible To Find a Job Abroad If You Have No Experience?
- 2 Why It Is A Good Idea to Become an English Teacher Overseas?
- 3 What Countries Provide the Highest Salary Rate for TEFL Teachers?
- 4 Countries Where Degree Isn’t Required for English Teachers
- 5 How to Choose a Proper TEFL Certificate
- 6 Au Pair Job Options Abroad
- 7 Unskilled Jobs Overseas
- 8 Is It a Good Idea to Volunteer Overseas?
- 9 Tips for Planning Working Vacations
Is It Possible To Find a Job Abroad If You Have No Experience?
Of course, you may have no formal experience, nevertheless, you still have something great to offer your future employers.
Make a list of your strongest traits and skills and choose your job based on this list.
Also, you need to understand clearly your goals.
What do you want to get from your overseas career?
Do you want to get some experience and boost your career or, maybe, you are more interested in traveling, or you need to save some money?
As soon as you reveal your reasons, you can understand where exactly you want to work and what type of job you are looking for.
In this article, we’ve prepared a list of some overseas careers that will be perfect for those with no or a little experience.
English Language Teacher
You are a native English speaker that means you already have something to offer to your potential employers abroad.
Of course, in some countries, you need to have a degree to apply for a teaching career.
Nevertheless, there are countries where you can work as a teacher with only a TEFL certificate.
This career cannot be considered as a well-paid one nevertheless it is a perfect starting point for young people.
If you want to apply for one of these careers, you need to be flexible, supportive and love kids.
In Australia and New Zealand, you can find lots of offers for those who look for reasonably paid, unskilled labor jobs.
Also, in these countries, as a US citizen, you can get a working holiday visa.
Among the available options, there are bar work, call center jobs, kitchen work, fruit picking, basic farming, and many others.
You should know that it is not the best option for those who want to earn some money quickly.
However, if you aim to develop your skills in various fields such as medicine, health, education or conservation, volunteering is exactly what you need.
After completing your internship on your career, especially in such fields as medicine and natural science, you will be able to obtain some better jobs in the future.
These are the main options for those who want to get a job abroad but have no experience.
So let’s learn more about each option.
Why It Is A Good Idea to Become an English Teacher Overseas?
English Teaching can be a great career option overseas as it is a perfect opportunity not only to share your knowledge but also to work in a fun environment.
Of course, it is a hard job to do but it can provide you with a great sense of satisfaction.
Working as a TEFL teacher, you’ll be able to develop a bunch of skills that can be useful in many other careers.
Also, this career involves lots of cultural exchange opportunities as in most countries you are going to work with local teachers.
Moreover, you are going to communicate with children and their parents that is a great opportunity to integrate with locals.
You should know that English teaching overseas is less challenging than in the USA.
It is because you don’t need to have some specific training and TEFL certificate is absolutely enough.
You just need to keep in mind that this career is not for everyone.
If you want to apply for this job, you need to have such qualities as:
- Patience while working with children and co-workers;
- Creativity and Flexibility so you can design your lesson plans according to students needs and be able to keep it going even if something goes wrong;
- Willing to Learn as you should be able to use the local language to communicate with people around you;
- Organized as in some countries TEFL teachers may also perform a number of admin duties;
- Outgoing is really important for those teachers that are going to work with younger students as they should be able to use various songs, dances, and plays during lessons.
What Countries Provide the Highest Salary Rate for TEFL Teachers?
To begin with, in some countries, English teachers can get a very good salary.
Also, in some cases, your salary may seem substantial but the cost of living in this country can be really low and your income can be considered as high.
There are four countries where TEFL teachers have a good salary.
Dubai, as well as a bunch of other cities in UAE, has a high salary rate for foreign English teachers.
As an English teacher from abroad in Dubai, you can earn from $2500 to more than $6000 per month.
Also, most employers are ready to provide you with free accommodation and a bunch of other benefits.
Training Requirements for TEFL Teachers in Dubai
The degree program is the main requirement for foreign English teachers in Dubai.
You have an opportunity to get a high salary but it also means that your responsibilities will also increase.
The minimal requirement for English teachers in Dubai is a bachelor’s degree (in English studies, education, or psychology) as well as a TEFL certificate.
Also, there are some schools that want to hire teachers with some actual classroom experience.
Moreover, it is better to look for job options in some less popular areas like Sharjah and Al Alin.
In Japan, you can not only enjoy amazing local culture but also have a good income working as an English teacher.
Working for 20-30 hours per week, you can have a salary of about $1 700-$2 500 every month.
You should know that it is really expensive to live in Japan and there can also be some issues with accommodation.
Considering everything said above, you should give preference to those schools that can provide you with free or subsidized accommodation.
Training Requirements for TEFL Teachers in Japan
Japan has one of the strictest visa requirements in the world so if you want to get a career there, you are obliged to have a degree.
Also, a TEFL certificate can provide you with more career options.
Moreover, US citizens who want to work as English teachers in Japan may be obliged to complete the Japanese Exchange and Teaching (JET) program.
Considering the fact that most language schools in South Korea teach American English, American TEFL teachers are really favored there.
Most TEFL teachers prefer going to Seoul but you should know that it can be hard to obtain a job in this region.
Working there, you can earn about $1 600- $2 200 per month during the first year of your work.
After it, your salary rate will increase significantly.
Moreover, US TEFL teachers are obliged to only 3% tax on your earnings.
Training Requirements for TEFL Teachers in South Korea
To be able to work as an English teacher in South Korea, you need to have a Bachelor’s degree in English.
It is also the main requirement for the participants of the government’s official English Programme in Korea (EPIK) scheme.
At the same time, a similar program TaLK accepts people who only have a two-year associates degree.
This program can help you find a job in some rural areas with a salary of about $1 300 per month while working 3 hours a day.
Working as a TEFL teacher in China, you are going to learn a slightly lower salary than in other countries above but it is still reasonable.
Also, most schools are ready to provide teachers with free accommodation options.
If you are a participant of government-based programs, you can earn about $1 200-$1 400 monthly.
Speaking of private programs, they usually offer lower rates so make sure to learn properly all the available options.
Training Requirements for TEFL Teachers in China
Only a few years ago, it was pretty easy to get some teaching job in China even if you had no degree.
Due to the growth of the salary rates as well as competition increase, it is hard to obtain a job if you don’t have at least a Bachelor’s degree.
Also, the reason is that the Z visa requirements were made tighter just a few years ago.
In other words, think twice before addressing agencies that are ready to offer job options that require no degree.
Countries Where Degree Isn’t Required for English Teachers
Those who have no degree but still want to work as an English teacher abroad and completed a TEFL course can find some great career options.
There are some countries that may want to hire an English teacher with no degree.
It should be mentioned that employers in Russia tend to held interviews with applicants via Skype or a similar option before the applicant departure.
If you were able to complete your interview successfully, your employer will help you with your visa preparations.
Of course, there are employers that would like to hire someone with a degree in English or teaching.
Nevertheless, sometimes it is enough to obtain your TEFL certificate.
Salary rate varies from $500 to $1 400 per month.
Also, there are schools that can help you with accommodation which means that Russia can be a great option for those who want to work as an English teacher abroad.
If you want to work as a TEFL teacher in Mexico, you’ll be glad to learn that it can be pretty easy to get a visa.
Of course, some bigger employers give preference to candidates with a degree but there are lots of smaller employers that can hire you only with a TEFL certificate.
Also, among the requirements, there can be some work experience.
The salary rate varies from $600 to $800 per month and it can be considered as a reasonable salary in Mexico.
To begin with, Cambodia is one of those countries where you can get a visa easily.
Also, you can start working as a TEFL teacher in Cambodia without any issues.
The salary rate there is also rather good and you can earn about $600-$1000 monthly.
With such a salary, you can live comfortably in this country.
You should know that in most cases you need to look for employment locally so it is better to look for a job after you’ve arrived in the country.
You don’t need to have a degree to start working as a teacher in Cambodia but still, you need to have a TEFL certificate.
Other great options for TEFL teachers are Argentina and Nicaragua where a degree isn’t required.
Just keep in mind that it can be hard to get a visa to these countries.
How to Choose a Proper TEFL Certificate
As it was mentioned before, most employers give preference to candidates with a TEFL certificate so make sure you can prove your qualification.
There are lots of courses for those who want to get a TEFL certificate.
If you want to make sure you’ve chosen the right one, you need to be very careful.
You need to pay attention to such aspects as accreditation, practice hours, and price.
Is the TEFL Accredited?
To begin with, accrediting bodies for TEFL courses don’t exist so you may be obliged to do some research to understand whether one or other program has the required credentials.
You should know that if the program is accredited by ACCET or the World TEFL Accrediting Commission (WTEFLAC), you can trust this program.
The best TEFL courses are offered by universities.
There are such options as the CELTA certificate (accredited by Cambridge University), the Trinity Certificate (accredited by Trinity College) or the TESOL certificate (accredited by SIT).
OISE University of Toronto provides one other TEFL course that is shorter than others.
If you want to get a job in countries with high salary rates, you should consider applying for university-affiliated TEFL qualifications.
How Much Time Do You Need to Get a TEFL?
The best TEFL courses usually contain about 120 hours of training that are divided into 100 hours of learning and 20 hours of teaching practice.
Keep in mind that the course should contain a minimum of 6 hours of assessed teaching practice.
If you aren’t able to meet this requirement, it is more likely employers won’t hire you.
You should know that most TEFL courses can be completed just in 2 or 3 weeks but it is better to enroll in those courses that offer 1-2 months course.
You can complete a full-time course in CELTA, Trinity or TESOL just in a month while a part-time course can be completed in 3 months.
All these options can provide you with intensive learning of language and give more practice that other options.
What is the Price of a TEFL Certificate?
The cost of the course depends significantly on your location and the time you can spend with your instructor.
The cost of an excellent TEFL course that contains 120 hours of training including online learning is about $200-$600.
You should know that if the cost of a TEFL course is less than $200, it is not worth your time and money.
If you are interested in a Trinity or CELTA course, you should be ready to pay for it about $2 400-$2 800.
Where Is It Possible to Find TEFL Vacancies?
If you are looking for some career options, you should know that there are some reliable job boards that offer TEFL options.
It is employers and employment agencies that post job offers directly on these boards.
One of such boards is Dave’s ESL Cafe which is the so-called original TEFL site.
There are lots of careers for those who want to work in South Korea and China.
You can set up your profile there for free.
Also, on this website, you can find some useful resources for those who look for TEFL jobs.
TEFL.com is one other great resource for a job search that is working since 1997.
On this platform, you can create a profile and apply for jobs for free.
TEFL Agencies is another great option.
It is a group of agencies that can help you to obtain your TEFL certification and find some suitable career options as soon as your training is completed.
It is a great option but just keep in mind that you need to be careful choosing the agency so make sure it is well-established, honorable, and affordably priced.
In other words, make sure to collect all the necessary info before you pay your money.
If an agency is reputable, it will provide clients with such info as an address and a phone number, as well as answers on all your questions.
How to Avoid TEFL Scams?
You should know that in most cases, TEFL jobs are arranged via the Internet.
Unfortunately, there is always a possibility to meet scammers that offer fake TEFL job options to get your money.
If you want to avoid scammers, try to use the tips below:
- Avoid agencies that ask for a deposit to search and secure job offers. There are lots of agencies that offer you all these options for free. You should know that all reputable agencies work on a commission basis.
- Don’t apply for agencies that promise 100% distance learning for TEFL certification. The main reason for all these courses is to provide you with plenty of experience.
- Don’t trust those agencies that offer you a job without an interview or vetting procedure.
- If you want to work abroad you need to get a visa before but scam agencies in most cases avoid mentioning the visa application process.
- Avoid those job options that offer some wild salaries.
- Search for the course and agency you are interested in to make sure it is real.
- Get in touch with your employment agent before they pass your details to some employers.
What Questions You Should Ask Your Employer?
There are lots of people that consider TEFL teaching as an opportunity to make their dreams come true.
This option allows you to combine traveling, inspiring other people and enjoying some rathe comfortable pace of life.
Nevertheless, it can turn out that reality differs from your dreams so you need to be careful while picking your employer.
Before making a decision to enroll in one of the job options, ask your employer some important questions including:
- How many hours will I work per week?
- What are my holiday entitlements?
- How often will I be paid? When will I receive my first paycheck?
- Is accommodation included? If not, how easy is it to obtain accommodation as a foreign worker?
- Will any deductions be made from my salary?
- What age pupils will I be teaching?
- Do you offer compassionate leave?
- Where is the school located and is it close to public transport?
- Are there any other foreign teachers in the school?
Make sure to check the location of the school you are going to work at.
Most teaching jobs are offered in rural areas and it can be hard to get there.
Of course, there are some benefits to staying in a rural area, but it is not a great option if you want to travel to other cities during your free time.
Most employers provide this info in a job description but if you aren’t sure you should ask them directly.
Au Pair Job Options Abroad
If you under 30 or 26 in some countries, you can try working as an au pair.
It is really similar to a nanny but there are some differences.
Au pairs don’t get salary instead their employers provide them with free accommodation and a small stipend.
It won’t give you an opportunity to earn lots of money but it is a great option if you want to start living and working abroad.
You should know that visa requirements depend on the country you are going to stay in.
In some cases, you need to get a specific au pair visa while there are some countries that accept generic working visas.
Usually, you need about a couple of months to get your visa so make sure to plan everything beforehand.
Where Can Au Pair Jobs Be Found Overseas?
The most popular destinations for au pair workers include such options as:
- Sweden or Switzerland where you can get the highest au pair salaries ($160-200 per week);
- New Zealand one of the most popular destinations with a salary range from $150-180 per week;
- Australia where au pairs can earn about 130-150$ per week;
- Germany requires some basic knowledge of German so you can work as an au pair and a salary varies from $80 – 100 per week;
- China is a perfect option for those who want to work as au pairs and experience a new culture. In most cases, au pairs don’t stay in China for long so it can be a great short-time job with a salary of about $30-80 per week.
Is It Possible to Work as Au Pair with No Experience?
If you want to work as an au pair, you aren’t obliged to have lots of experience or some qualification.
Nevertheless, you need to have some essential traits and skills:
- A love for children;
- First aid skills are a bonus;
- At least a high school certificate (some families may require a degree or childcare qualifications);
- A clear criminal record;
- Some experience with children;
- Possibly a driving license;
- A character reference and possibly an employment reference.
What I Should Do To Apply for Au Pair Jobs?
If you want to apply for au pair jobs, you may use some options to make it possible.
The first option is an au pair introductions website where you can set up your profile.
Using such websites, you have an opportunity to communicate with your potential employers for free or for a small fee.
Just make sure, that the site you use doesn’t ask you to pay too much for its services.
One other option is a specialized au pair agency.
Such agencies exist to provide you some help with employers search, negotiations, visa application. and some other issues.
You just need to keep in mind that there are lots of agencies that require some fees for their services.
Some of them ask for absolutely reasonable fees so make sure to ask an agent about fees before sighing a contract.
If you want to work as an au pair in New Zealand and Australia, you’ll be obliged to get a working visa and look for job offers locally.
As you may suggest, it is a tricky option as there is no guarantee that you’ll be able to find a job.
Nevertheless, it is a great opportunity for some people.
Important Things You Should Know Before Becoming an Au Pair
Working as an au pair you can have a comfortable life during your stay abroad.
However, there are some disadvantages you should consider:
- You cannot save money if you want to have some savings for the future. If you are lucky enough to get a job in Sweden or Switzerland, you can have some earning potential, but in most cases, there is no opportunity to make savings.
- You may be obliged to sign a one-year contract minimum.
- It can be stressful to live with your employers as it becomes harder to distinguish between your downtime and work time.
However, if you are a flexible and sociable person, an au pair can be a perfect career option for you.
Unskilled Jobs Overseas
If you don’t feel like working as a teacher or an au pair, you can look for some unskilled career options in the hospitality, customer service, or farming spheres.
Lots of young Americans can apply for a holiday visa to New Zealand and Australia where they can work during their stay.
Both countries have reasonable salary rates for all unskilled job options.
It is a great opportunity to earn some money while traveling.
How to Get a Working Visa to Australia?
To get the Work and Holiday visa, you should be an American of 18-30 years old with a high school degree and no criminal history.
If you are lucky enough to get this visa, you can stay and work in Australia for a year.
Just keep in mind that it is considered as a travel and work program so you need to avoid working for one employer for than half a year.
In case, you work in Queensland or Western Australian for more than 3 months, your visa can be extended for one extra year.
You can apply for this visa online but make sure to do it beforehand so you have enough time to deal with all issues.
Popular Career Options for Backpackers in Australia
In fact, it is not so hard to find a job in Australia.
You can use job-search websites or use some advertisement boards in the area.
You can find some great offers in backpackers magazines.
The list of the most popular jobs for backpackers includes such options as:
- Bar Work is one of the most available options for backpackers;
- Working in a Café is also a great variant as cafe culture is well developed in Australia and especially in such cities as Sydney and Melbourne, and there is a whole variety of jobs you can apply for;
- Call Center/Telemarketing Jobs is a great option for those who want to have some good income as in this sphere you are going to have not only a salary but some commissions as well;
- Harvest Workers such as fruit pickers and farmhands are constantly in demand in Australia so most employers are ready to provide you with free accommodation so you can save money.
An average salary for the listed above careers is about 15 and 25 AUD.
Also, you should know that you can spend a lot of money on accommodation and meals as in most cases a meal in Australia can be a little beat more expensive than in Australia.
Nevertheless, if you plan everything properly, you can have some good income and even save some money.
How to Get a Working Visa in New Zealand?
People who are about 18030 years old with a clear criminal background and have 4 200 NZ have an opportunity to get the USA Working Holiday Visa.
After obtaining this visa, you have an opportunity to work in New Zealand for a year.
Also, it gives you an opportunity to enroll in some training program or educational course that last for no more than half a year.
Canadian and British citizens have an opportunity to extend their visas for 11 months but this option isn’t available for Americans.
American citizens can get only a 3-month extension if they’ve been working in New Zealand for no less than 3 months. in the agricultural sphere
Popular Career Options for Backpackers in New Zealand
There are not so many job options available for travelers in New Zealand.
The list includes such variants as:
- Ski-Resorts may look for porters, wardens, or lift operators when it is a high season;
- Face-to-Face Sales/Marketing often look for workers that can sell sporting activities to tourists.
- Coffee Shop Work or other hospitality careers.
- Deck Hands or Boat Staff is a great option for unskilled workers.
- Farm Work is an absolutely great option with numerous opportunities all year round.
- WWOOFING is a program that offers travelers some free food, accommodation, and cultural exchange if you are ready to work on a farm or smallholding for 2-6 weeks. It is a popular option for those who want to have some rest away from busy and noisy cities
Is It Possible to Get a Job in Ireland with No Experience?
Ireland and America made an agreement that allows the citizens of the USA to work in Ireland for a year without any problems and vice versa.
It is known as the US-Ireland Working Holiday Agreement.
You just need to know that to be eligible for this program, you need to be able to meet some requirements.
You should be a degree program student and the one who graduated no more than 12 months ago.
Is It a Good Idea to Volunteer Overseas?
In fact, volunteering abroad can be a great opportunity for many people.
Enrolling in one of the overseas internships, you can significantly boost your career and help other people.
Usually, volunteer programs are unpaid so you must be ready to cover almost all your expenses on your own.
It means that you should start by considering whether you can afford it.
There are lots of people who prefer volunteering abroad for a short period of time before deciding whether they want to enroll in a paid job in another country.
How to Pick a Good Placement
You need to make sure that the company responsible for your placement doesn’t require too big charging fees.
You need to ask the organizers where your fees are spent and the influence they have on local communities.
Unfortunately, during the last few years overseas volunteering or “voluntourism” gained a bad reputation.
There are lots of companies that charge way too big fees while providing absolutely small benefits to local communities or volunteers.
It means that you need to do some good research so you can find some really reliable volunteering projects.
If you want to get more info on some great options for volunteers, you can use the volunteerforever website.
Types of Voluntary Placements
Speaking of voluntary placements there are lots of options you can choose from.
Usually, it includes such categories as:
There is a whole bunch of conservation projects that aim to rehabilitate and research animals.
Also, you can apply for projects that work on various ecological research experience that can help you to boost your career.
Education and Special Needs
Such placements are started so volunteers can teach students and pupils in various educational facilities.
Usually, these placements are popular in some poor regions of Asia and Africa where the government cannot afford to pay salaries to TEFL teachers.
These placements are perfect for those people who want to boost their skills in teaching, social services, and mental health.
Sports and Coaching
These placements are perfect for those who want to develop their leadership skills and encourage people all over the world.
Most of such placements are located in Africa and in most cases, volunteers work with marginalized or socially isolated children in order to help them become more confident.
Health and Medical
This type if voluntary placements can help you learn more about global issues and develop some important skills.
Applying for some overseas internships, you have an opportunity to assist doctors and nurses all over the world.
Some of these programs aim to help doctors and surgeons gain more experience while other options are great for anyone who wants to enroll in the medical sphere.
Such medical careers as phlebotomy, sonography, and medical coding don’t require a degree but still, it can be hard to get a job without any relevant experience.
Enrolling in various voluntary placements, you can get an opportunity to gain some better career options as a phlebotomist, sonographer, or medical coder.
Read our how to become a phlebotomist to learn more about training in the field.
If you want to enroll in a medical internship abroad, you should look for some offers in Greece, Nepal, and some other countries.
Going for some voluntary placements abroad, it is a good idea to keep your skills diary.
It is a great idea as it can help you with your future job applications.
You can use your notes to answer some tricky questions and differentiate yourself among other candidates during the interview.
Without a diary, you can just forget about some events and achievements.
Tips for Planning Working Vacations
If you’ve decided to work abroad, you need to make sure that everything is planned properly.
Sometimes, you can not even be sure that you’ll be able to get a job during your stay overseas.
So, let’s review some essential points that can help you make your overseas job experience successful:
- Choose a Suitable Career Option considering all the available variants such as TEFL teaching, au pair, casual work, or volunteering, as well as their specifications. Make sure to learn about the requirements that you should meet applying for one or another option.
- Choose Your Destination considering visa requirements in various countries. You may be interested in more than one destination but if you want to choose only one of them you need to do research and choose wisely.
- Search for Jobs on your own or address some specialized agencies to help you. In any case, you need to make sure your resume is built properly. If you have no formal work experience, you need to include your voluntary experience, as well as personal achievements and qualifications. Also, it’s a good idea to ask someone to review your resume.
- Check your Budget as it can be really expensive to go overseas. Make sure you’ve got the amount of money that can cover your flight and one-month living expenses. Of course, some jobs allow to reimburse at least some part of your expenses but it requires about 6 months of work.
If you’ve decided to look for a job on arrival at your destination, you need to prepare more money as there is always a possibility that you won’t find a job fast.
When it comes to volunteering overseas, you should be ready to cover all your expenses on your own for a certain period of time.
- Apply for your Visa Beforehand as in some cases it may take some time to prepare all the required papers and get a visa. Very often you need to have a whole bunch of supporting papers including certified ID copies, transcripts, criminal records checks and so on. as you understand, it is a good idea to start gathering all the required papers and prepare your application as soon as you can.
Of course, don’t forget to enjoy your stay overseas even if you aren’t able to earn lots of money.
There are lots of other benefits such as new friends, skills development, and gaining some unique experience.