Being that the trade schools are educational institutions that provide an alternative to the traditional college degree programs, and at the same time are much more affordable and faster to complete, more and more students decide to enroll in one of them.
Virginia has to offer numerous options and you just need to select which of them are the most suitable for you.
The Apprentice School is accredited by the Commission of the Council on Occupational Education.
Enrollment: To apply for the Apprentice School, applicants must be at least 18 years of age, and have a high school education with a passing grade in at least four of the following courses: Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Mechanical/Drawing, Vocational/Technical Education or Computer Science, Advanced Mathematics, Chemistry or Physics.
Then, they need to demonstrate college readiness in math and English, by submitting post-secondary transcripts.
Due to the nature of the work performed at Newport News Shipbuilding, U.S. citizenship is required.
Applicants are required to mail official transcripts from all high schools and post-secondary schools attended to:
The Apprentice School Admissions Office
4101 Washington Avenue
Newport News, VA 23607
Applicants will start the enrollment process by submitting an online application form.
Fees: You are supposed to pay a non-refundable $30 processing fee.
Among so many courses offered, these are just a few to mention:
- COATINGS SPECIALIST
- DIMENSIONAL CONTROL TECHNICIAN
- HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING WORKER
- HEAVY METAL FABRICATOR
- MODELING AND SIMULATION
- Apprentice School
- Phone: +1 757-380-3809
- Web: https://www.as.edu
The Chrysm Institute of Esthetics
The Chrysm Institute of Esthetics is accredited by National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts & Sciences.
Enrollment: The staff has made the application process so easy, that they even made a video on their official website which explains the entire application process.
Prospective students should have an informational tour and meet with financial aid prior to applying.
If you are intersted in applying, you should call (757) 456-5386 to schedule a tour of the facility and complete FAFSA report if you need financial aid.
During your application process, you will be required to describe your professional goals and how you hope to use this training.
Once you are ready to submit your application package, you need to include all the required documents.
You must submit:
- A fully completed application form
- Nonrefundable $50 application fee
- Copy of High School diploma or transcript or GED certificate
- Copy of not expired photo government-issued identification
- Signed social security card
- Immigration information
You should know that you are not officially enrolled until you have completed your enrollment contract.
Fees: You are supposed to submit a nonrefundable $50 application fee.
- The Chrysm Institute of Esthetics
- Address: 281 Independence Blvd Suite 101, Virginia Beach, VA 23462
- Phone: +1 757-456-5386
- Web: https://www.chrysm.org
Those people who are interested in the Fortis Institute should not worry about whether their degrees would be accepted by the employers or not, being that this institute has so many accreditations proving how serious and devoted they are when it comes to the quality of education offered.
The Institute is institutionally accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES), the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS), the Accrediting Commission of the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET) and the Accrediting Commission of the Council on Occupational Education.
One more reason why students choose this institute is the availability of day and evening programs which can be easily fit into the daily schedule.
Enrollment: Just as with any other school, the prospective students have to meet some eligibility requirements so as to be accepted as eligible applicants.
First, they must be high school graduates in order to apply, being that they need to provide educational achievements up to the moment of applying.
Plus, they are required to complete a personal information application form and have a personal interview with the admissions staff.
The main aim of the interview is to discuss career goals, tour the facility and meet with Financial Aid representative if the student has the need for financial support.
- Nursing Programs
- Healthcare / Medical Programs
- Medical Technologists Programs
- Dental Programs
- Pharmacy Technician, Sterile Processing Technician, and Surgical Technology
- Beauty & Wellness Programs – Cosmetology and Massage Therapy
- Fortis College
- Address: 6300 Center Dr #100, Norfolk, VA 23502
- Phone: +1 757-499-5447
- Web: https://www.fortis.edu
Job Corps Outreach & Admissions Office
Enrollment: The staff was very eager to help prospective students enroll and they have even made a video explaining them the application process.
You can enroll in Job Corps by filling out the Enrollment Interest Form or by calling the admission office at 1-800-733-JOBS.
The representative’s job is to answer all your questions and to walk you through the application steps.
Just as any other school, Job Corps Outreach & Admissions Office has certain eligibility requirement that prospective students have to meet.
You may be eligible for Job Corps if you want to improve your education, need job skills training and education on a career pathway and are between the ages of 16 and 24.
It is very important to know that the admission is available only to U.S. citizens, legal U.S. residents, or residents of a U.S. territory.
You are not eligible for Job Corps if you use drugs illegally, exhibit behavioral problems or have certain criminal convictions.
Fees: Job Corps is fully funded by the federal government and is free.
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Automotive and Machine Repair
- Finance and Business
- Homeland Security
- Information Technology
- Renewable Resources and Energy
- Job Corps Outreach & Admissions Office
- Address: 10304 Spotsylvania Ave #100, Fredericksburg, VA 22408
- Phone: +1 540-322-5781
- Web: https://www.jobcorps.gov
Byers Technical Institute
Enrollment: The eligibility requirements that are set by the school are the following:
Students must be at least 16 years old and those under 18, you must have a letter of consent from their parents or guardian.
Students who are 17 and older must have a High School diploma or GED certificate.
If the applicant is 18 and older but does not have a High School diploma or GED certificate, he/she is allowed to apply but must have an oral interview with an official of Byers Technical Institute.
Applicants must be able to speak English, can lift five pounds with one hand and one arm and have good eyesight.
All applicants are required to complete an application which can be done either online or in person.
To attend Byers Technical Institute all new students must sign and date the Enrollment Agreement.
If you prefer to download the PDF Application and fill it out manually, you are required to mail it to the school at:
2694 Glasgow Highway
Buena Vista, Virginia 24416
Then, a BTI official will contact you to help you complete your enrollment process.
Fees: You will have to pay a $50.00 non-refundable registration fee.
The total amount of tuition and fees must be paid 30 days prior to your first day of class.
- Byers Technical Institute
- Address: 2694 Glasgow Hwy, Buena Vista, VA 24416
- Phone: +1 540-258-1028
- Web: http://byerstechnicalinstitute.com
Virginia Keys School
Virginia Keys is approved by the Virginia Department of Social Services (DSS).
Enrollment: The school is eager to meet its prospective students, so they organize a meeting with their administration, faculty, and staff which consists of touring the campus and seeing students.
the Virginia Keys School wanted to keep enrollment process as simple as possible for future students so that they will find all the paperwork they need to gain admission to their programs.
- They need to be 16 to 20 years old at enrolment.
- Students must have an IQ of at least 75.
- They must be without suicidal tendencies or the need for a locked environment
- Students must be able to maintain activities of daily living.
So as to apply for these programs, prospective students should fill out the application form found on the official website and once submitted, the school staff will be in contact with them in the next 2 hours so as to help them finish the admission process.
- Construction Program
- Culinary Arts
- Automotive repairs
- CNA and CPR/ First-Aid
- Virginia Keys School
- Address: 433 New Dominion Ln, Cumberland, VA 23040
- Phone: +1 434-983-1776
- Web: https://www.virginiakeys.org
Jatcneca: IBEW Local
The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee (JATC) is training the electrical and telecommunication workers.
The JATC offers a 3- and 5-year apprenticeship program and a 4-year residential training program.
Enrollment: There are determined requirements that applicants should meet so as to enroll:
- Applicants must be 18 years of age.
- They must submit an official copy of their High School Transcripts or GEDs.
- Applicants must have a passing grade in Algebra 1 or GED equivalent.
- Applicants are required to take an aptitude test.
So as to schedule a test, you need to appear in person or mail payment of the fee.
Once you reach a qualifying score on the aptitude test, you will be scheduled for an interview and the notification of this interview will be by mail.
The deadline for the application submission is March 31st.
The completed application should be submitted in person at one of the locations and you have to bring with you your social security card and valid government ID.
Fees: The aptitude test can be taken for a $25.00 processing fee.
- Inside Wireman “A” Apprenticeship Program
- Telecommunications Apprenticeship Program
- Residential Training Program
- Jatcneca: IBEW Local
- Address: 7016 Infantry Ridge Rd, Manassas, VA 20109
- Phone: +1 703-393-0097
- Web: http://washdcjatc.org
Northern Virginia School of Therapeutic Massage
Northern Virginia School of Therapeutic Massage (NVSTM) is Nationally Accredited by NACCAS which is recognized by the United States Department of Education.
Enrollment: The application process starts once the applicant submits an application with the $50 non-refundable application fee.
The next step is meeting with an admissions staff member for an interview.
So as to be considered eligible for the program, the applicant must possess a High school diploma or college diploma or transcript, or GED, proof of age (Government ID) and if accepted, the applicant should sign an enrollment agreement.
Transcripts must be sent directly from the school where courses have been taken.
If you prefer to submit information in-person, you can do that at the Institution via the handwritten forms.
Only the eligible applicants are encouraged to apply.
Fees: Tuition and fees that have to be paid are the following:
- Tuition = $10,540.00
- Application Fee = $50.00
- Books & Supplies = + $400.00
- Total = $10,990.00
- Massage Therapy
- Northern Virginia School of Therapeutic Massage
- Address: 6402 Arlington Blvd #840, Falls Church, VA 22042
- Phone: +1 703-533-3113
- Web: https://www.nvschoolofmassage.com
Institute of Advanced Medical Esthetics
Institute of Advanced Medical Esthetics boasts the fact that they are the only Master Esthetician school in Central Virginia recognized by the US Department of Education to accept Financial Aid.
Enrollment: Those who are interested in programs offered at this institute should visit their official website and find the enrollment inquiry which should be filled out and submitted as the beginning of the application procedure.
There is a number of required documents that have to be emailed to the Institute of Advanced Medical Esthetics:
High School diploma or transcript showing graduation or GED & other licenses and a short essay which will be related to the following topics:
- Why it is important for you to study at the Institute of Advanced Medical Esthetics with Laura Todd.
- Why you should be considered for admissions at this school.
- What steps you will take to ensure you will be a top graduate.
- What is the difference between a basic and master esthetician in your own words?
- Why you are interested in the field of Master Esthetics.
- What your career goals are.
Fees: You are supposed to pay a $100 registration/enrollment fee.
- Institute of Advanced Medical Esthetics
- Address: 405 England St, Ashland, VA 23005
- Phone: +1 804-908-3223
- Web: http://www.theinstituteofadvancedmedicalesthetics.com
Southside Va Truck Driving
Southside Va Truck Driving is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award Associate degrees.
Enrollment: The great thing to know is that any person who has a high school diploma, its equivalent, or who is 18 years of age, and is able to benefit from a program at Southside Virginia Community College is a possible candidate for enrollment in the college.
All necessary application forms are available on the official website.
Students who wish to enroll in an associate degree program should have a high school diploma or GED certificate, submit a completed application for admission and an application for Virginia in-state tuition rates.
Students should also complete SVCC placement testing.
In order to apply, you are supposed to visit one of the Admissions Offices or call 434.736.2046.
- Business Administration,
- Teacher Education Preparation Specialization,
- General Studies,
- Administration of Justice Specialization,
- Agribusiness Specialization,
- Health Science Specialization,
- Human Services Specialization,
- Administration of Justice,
- Administrative Support Technology,
- Legal Specialization,
- Medical Office Specialization,
- Business Management,
- Accounting Specialization,
- Emergency Medical Services,
- Human Services,
- Information Systems Technology,
- Networking Specialization,
- Industrial Maintenance Technician
- Southside Va Truck Driving
- Phone: +1 434-575-8388
- Web: http://southside.edu/
Choosing a trade school over a college degree program means you could graduate faster and start a good-paying, rewarding career as soon as possible.
You are well informed about the top schools in Virginia, so we believe that making a decision would not be that difficult.