If you want to work as a dog groomer in Idaho, you should first have some info on this career.
Being a pet groomer can be a fulfilling choice, so check out the info below before you start.
Article Table of Contents
Job Description and Duties
Some of the daily tasks you will need to complete include:
- Clip the nails of the animal
- Bathe the animal
- Style the fur of the dog
- Know how to keep the dog calm
- Ability to stand for hours at a time
You will also be able to learn more about hand scissoring and hand stripping.
Earn your accredited, affordable Pet and Dog Grooming Certificate online with Penn Foster in as little as 2 months!
These techniques are more complex and require some additional training.
Before you can get hired in a facility of your choice, you will also need to:
- Know what tools need to be used based on the task
- Know how to use all the working tools
- Know the dog breeds and what the dog is meant to look like
- Know how to clean the ears of the animal
Between appointments, you will also have to clean your workspace and maintain it clean.
You will need a set of skills in order to work as a pet groomer.
- Be a calm and patient person
- Good communication skills
- Be able to work with people
- Be compassionate and love animals
Sometimes, you may not only be required to groom dogs, but also cats.
Grooming a cat usually includes the following:
- Cutting the nails of the cat
- Bathing the cat
- Brushing or shaving the cat’s fur
- Style the coat of the animal
- Make sure the cat’s ears are clean
Education and Licensing in Idaho
In Idaho, licensing is not required by the state in the dog grooming sector.
However, most facilities will only hire a dog groomer with a certification.
The certification doesn’t take more than a few months.
First, you need to complete a training program at a school.
Getting trained is easy and only required you to have a high school diploma or a GED.
After you finish it, you also need to take a certification exam.
Some of the classes you will take during your training include:
- Introduction to Pet Grooming
- Introduction to Dogs and Cats
- Pre-Grooming Procedures
- Dog Grooming
- Dog Personalities and Behavior
- Cat Grooming
- Business Practices
Salary Information in Idaho
The dog grooming industry in Idaho keeps growing.
The average salary for a dog groomer in this state is about $26,592 per year.
However, you will be able to earn a higher salary if you have several certifications.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
You also have higher chances to make more money if you have enough experience in the field.
A dog groomer in Idaho can work in a vet clinic, pet grooming salon, or any other similar facility.
Some of the sites worth checking out if you need more info are:
- Idaho Dog Groomers
- Idaho Dog Grooming Services
- American Kennel Club (AKC)
- National Dog Groomers Association of America
The most important step in starting your new career is getting certified.
After that, you can be sure to build a successful career in the field.